Author Topic: down the rabbit hole  (Read 1939 times)

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
down the rabbit hole
« on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 07:29:13 »
Hello, Everybody!

Someone at work mentioned n-key rollover and I ended up getting sucked into this forum.  What an amazing wealth of information.

So a little about me...  I have been programming since the third grade.  My first computer was a TI-99/4a with a cassette tape deck.  I love the command line.  I've been running Linux since freshman year of college.  Linux is on my laptop, home server, and on my supercomputing HPC clusters at work.  If you have Linux questions, I'm your guy.

I like a good keyboard, but just got the itch for something better.  A Poker 2, with Cherry MX Brown switches, is incoming.  The keyboard I use the most is a Lenovo ThinkPlus Pro USB Keyboard, with a matching Lenovo ThinkPlus USB Optical Wheel Mouse.  When I'm feeling nostalgic, I log onto an old-school IBM 3151 serial terminal, which has very loud and clacky keys.

Thank you, all, for the info I have already grokked from this forum.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: down the rabbit hole
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 05:20:52 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You have a supercomputer at work? :eek:

Sounds like you might like a Model M on your workstations!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 05:58:15 »
Hi, Rowdy.  Yes, I build clusters for academic researchers.

Whoa, I think I already have a Model M!  The keyboard attached to my crt serial terminal looks very much like an IBM model M.  It has a funny connector, like a larger RJ45 telephone connector, and it is REALLY loud.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 06:01:20 »
A terminal Model M is no less a Model M!

I have two - just regular Model M.  I don't get to use them as often as I'd like as they are too noisy for home and too big to take to work :))

Ideally I'd like an SSK - best of both worlds :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 06:12:25 »
Wow, this forum never ceases to amaze.  I just found some threads about converting this terminal keyboard to PS2 / USB with a CUSTOM converter.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=10737.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 07:43:43 »
Welcome fellow newbie! Typing on a Poker 2 (blues) as we speak! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 12:52:16 »
I am typing on a rubber dome keyboard right now. I hope you get a rubber dome keyboard too--they work great!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 19:20:50 »
I am typing on a rubber dome keyboard right now. I hope you get a rubber dome keyboard too--they work great!

Was that ThinkPlus Pro I replaced a rubber dome?  Also, I've had a Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite2 for years.  I think that was my gateway keyboard.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 19:21:46 »

Was that ThinkPlus Pro I replaced a rubber dome?  Also, I've had a Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite2 for years.  I think that was my gateway keyboard.
Welcome to Geekhack!

I love your avatar.  The truth is out there.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 19:54:22 »
Thanks, Flyersfan1.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:27:53 by vimx »

Offline osi

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 20:01:06 »
Welcome to the rabbit hole -- most of us are still falling. :D

Vim user?? You should get a hhkb pro2

Cheers

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 20:06:04 »
Welcome!!!

I've been wanting to throw linux on a home server for ARMA2/Minecraft/TeamSpeak/etc...

I would love to pick your brain!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 20:09:00 »
You can answer a question for me on Linux then, (more of a, "Did you ever?") were you privy to making the clusters from PS3 units? I was deeply intrigued with them, but I'm not quite funded for the endeavor in the classical sense.
P.s., welcome! I have a poker II with the browns, it's worlds above rubber dome drudgery.

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:40:22 »
Welcome!!!

I've been wanting to throw linux on a home server for ARMA2/Minecraft/TeamSpeak/etc...

Pick away!

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:09:26 »
You can answer a question for me on Linux then, (more of a, "Did you ever?") were you privy to making the clusters from PS3 units? I was deeply intrigued with them, but I'm not quite funded for the endeavor in the classical sense.
P.s., welcome! I have a poker II with the browns, it's worlds above rubber dome drudgery.

I understand why someone might want to build a cluster of PS3 consoles, since Sony supposedly sells the console at a loss to bolster the user base.  I have not and would not build a cluster from PS3 consoles.  Three big reasons for this... 

One, the PS3 is not meant for a data center.  You couldn't rack and stack them.  You'd have to put them on shelves, which is bad for density, airflow and cable management.  They have no baseboard management, so there would be no niceties like remote console or automated install options.  You would have to deploy smart PDUs, KVM multiplexers, monitoring systems, etc to bandaid the management situation.  Do not want.

Two, the config does not have a wide deployment or enterprise hardware and OS support.  I don't want to be the guy all by himself, running into unsolvable and unique problems.  I buy major vendor hardware that supports Enterprise Linux because that hardware and OS has been deployed together and tested in production through multiple hardware revisions.  I get to talk to systems engineers that have the experience of solving problems across many hundred, thousands of similar deployments.

Three, the Cell processor is hard to program efficiently.  Most researchers do not want to rewrite all of their code for a specific hardware architecture.  They don't mind using a better compiler, but even a fancy compiler can't magically make your algorithm go parallel well.  Programming for a Cell is like programming for a co-processor;  It is not as simple as having more cores and adding a compiler pragma.

I hope that answered your question!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 August 2014, 14:29:43 by vimx »

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:13:19 »

I have not and would not build a cluster from PS3 consoles.  I understand why someone would, since Sony supposedly sells the console at a loss to bolster the user base.  Three big reasons for this... 

One, the PS3 is not meant for a data center.  You couldn't rack and stack them.  You'd have to put them on shelves, which is bad for density, airflow and cable management.  They have no baseboard management, so there would be no niceties like remote console or automated install options.  You would have to deploy smart PDUs, KVM multiplexers, monitoring systems, etc to bandaid the management situation.  Do not want.

Two, the config does not have a wide deployment or enterprise hardware and OS support.  I don't want to be the guy all by himself, running into unsolvable and unique problems.  I buy major vendor hardware that supports Enterprise Linux because that hardware and OS has been deployed together and tested in production through multiple hardware revisions.  I get to talk to systems engineers that have the experience of solving problems across many hundred, thousands of similar deployments.

Three, the Cell processor is hard to program efficiently.  Most researchers do not want to rewrite all of their code for a specific hardware architecture.  They don't mind using a better compiler, but even a fancy compiler can't magically make your algorithm go parallel well.  Programming for a Cell is like programming for a co-processor;  It is not as simple as having more cores and adding a compiler pragma.

I hope that answered your question!
Ohh ok.

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 20:09:01 »
Welcome!!!

Do it!  Linux is THE server OS.