Author Topic: Ergo Clears  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Skuloth

Ergo Clears
« on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:18:30 »
I'm considering making myself some ergo clears and I had a few questions. Primarily whether or not I should be worried about the switch sticking due to weak springs. I've heard some of the korean springs and other light weight springs occasionally have issues with sticking at the tactile point on clears. I was considering picking up either 62g or 65g korean springs from Sprit's group buy. Will I have any issues with these?

Thanks
Skuloth
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Skuloth

Re: Ergo Clears
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:21:16 »
The goal is to have these switches feel fairly similar to browns, but with more tactility. So if those springs weights aren't the right place to be, any recommendation for different springs? Probably should have said that in the first post.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:23:42 »
I plan on doing ergo clears once I obtain the materials as well. I've read that proper lubing should alleviate the sticking.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:28:07 »
Most seem to agree 62g-67g is the sweet spot for ergo clears. Sticking is usually only an issue when you get down to 55g.

And there are quite a few threads about ergo clears out there already. I know the forum search isn't that great but you can search with google.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 14:37:54 »
My unlubed 62g never stick and I love them. Ideal weight for ErgoClears, IMHO. I'll stick (no pun intended) to the same springs once they're worn in and lubed.

The goal is to have these switches feel fairly similar to browns, but with more tactility. So if those springs weights aren't the right place to be, any recommendation for different springs? Probably should have said that in the first post.

That's a pretty good description of 62g ErgoClears, I think you'll be satisfied with them.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 16:20:54 »
my unlubed "cherry light" (60 g) springs (from an MX blue) ergo clears used to stick sometimes with certain keycaps on the stabilizer. I don't have any issues with the tai-hao keycaps I have now, or with 62 g clears in my lightsaver.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 15:32:51 »
If you want them to be about the same weight as MX brown, just use the springs from MX brown switches. Definitely add some lube though.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 15:44:42 »
I have lubed ergo clears with 62g gold springs from Sprit and only the spacebar sticks a teeny tiny bit - gonna swap the 62g spacebar spring out for a 65g spring methinks.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Larken

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 03:03:57 »
62g ergoclears are going to be noticeably stiffer than stock browns, but yes, they have a larger tactile bump. They're still light to press, but don't expect the same lightness as stock browns.

Sticking will be an issue on new, unused clear switches, had one or two stick on me even using 62g springs; but note that this was maybe 2 switches out of 80. Sometimes its due to a combination of wonky springs/stems, which can be circumvented by swapping one or the other . Lube will also help.

If you're using old clear stems, it should likely be fine. I've used old clear stems harvested from an old cherry g80 (probably been used for years), and haven't had any sticking problems using stock mx brown springs, or even the korean 55g springs, unlubed.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline bianco

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 03:34:27 »
i'm using lubed 67g springs from originative.
it is definitely a better experience than stock.
i have ordered a few different springs from sprit to test (60g, 68g, 85g)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 16:56:10 »
If anything, ergo-clears are far smoother than browns. I know it shouldn't be that way, but they sure feel that way to me.  :-X