Author Topic: Is it possible to swap the rubber sheet of Type Heaven and Realforce 104U?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
I've recently acquired a Realforce 104U (Finally !!!) but I've noticed that the 30g section of the variable weight feels rather........ rubber dome-ish.

And the odd thing is that I don't even find the 30g section any lighter.  It just feels very linear and kind of mushy.

I originally was hoping to get a 45g uniform Realforce but unfortunately at the moment the only 45g Realforce I can get is the Ducky Edition (104UB-DK from Taiwan).  And I missed the massdrop on that buy and don't plan to drop $300-$400+ to get it from eBay.

So this leaves me a few options:

1)  Leave it, since I only got it this week maybe I'll get used to it.

2)  I want to see if it's possible to swap the rubber sheet between Type Heaven and Realforce, though I don't even know if they use the same sheet.

3)  Maybe I can just wait and see if Topre will come out with other 45g uniform edition later or something.  Because to be honest I prefer a white keyboard anyway (Ducky Edition has black base so it's not exactly perfect in this case).

Though yes I know people might scream omg why you putting internals from a keyboard that's cheaper?  Well it's just because I don't have too many options at the moment, what do you guys think?

I'm currently leaning on option 1) and just leave it alone and see.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 August 2014, 20:45:30 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Bro Caps is currently selling a 104UB-DK for the price of what Massdrop charged.  :)
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Hyde

Oh yeah?  Let me go take a look haha.  :p

Thanks dude !

EDIT:  lol damn it, it's so tempting but I'm kinda of tight on money lately don't think I can drop another $250+ (international shipping to me) at the moment.  :(
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 August 2014, 20:59:53 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
I like 30g topre. All the other topre feels like rubber dome to me. 30g is just linear enough.

That said, I believe you can swap the domes, yes.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
you can swap the domes not the sheet

so it's a pain
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hyde

I like 30g topre. All the other topre feels like rubber dome to me. 30g is just linear enough.

That said, I believe you can swap the domes, yes.

lol it's the opposite for me, I find 30g feels more rubber dome due to a different force curve.  It gets heavier and heavier as you press down.

45g and 55g get lighter after the tactile point.  But yeah just different feel I guess.  :P

you can swap the domes not the sheet

so it's a pain

Does that mean I have to cut it up and line them up individually?  =_____=

Also another question is, do you guys know if the dome/sheet is exact the same material as the Realforce ones?  As in like did they try to save cost on the dome/sheet too?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
the sheet is the same material

and yeah you have to cut all the domes individually

all because the RF has 1.5x mods
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hyde

But Type Heaven has 1.5x mods too.  Wouldn't it be the same?  :confused:

Otherwise good to know that the sheet is exactly the same material/feel.  :thumb:

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"

Based on this picture and the realforce in front of me they look like the same layout:

(thanks to keybaordco for the picture)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
wait what

i thought the type heaven was 1.25x and that's why RF keycaps wouldn't work with it

my whole life is a lie

Offline Hyde

Re: Is it possible to swap the rubber sheet of Type Heaven and Realforce 104U?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 21:05:38 »
wait what

i thought the type heaven was 1.25x and that's why RF keycaps wouldn't work with it

my whole life is a lie

LOL now you'll be freeeeeeeeeeee ~~~~~~

Though it's looking more and more that I'll be the first one on geekhack to bust both keyboard open for science.  >____>