Author Topic: Hospital Records Hacked  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
Hospital Records Hacked
« on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 21:31:56 »
So, I got some interesting bad news today at 6 PM. Breaking story: 2 of the hospitals I've been to have just been hacked and my information is now in the hands of some Chinese people. Anyone who went there in the last 5 years may have been affected. This would include both my parents, my grandpa, at least one family friend, and probably a lot more people I know as well. Official statement said letters would be mailed to the ones who were breached and free identity theft protection provided. What's the course of action to take if I get a letter? None of us need our credit ruined by strangers and I don't want anyone throwing my SSN out all over the Internet.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
Re: Hospital Records Hacked
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 22:01:07 »
Unless they got your credit card or bank information you are no more at risk than before. Your personal info, including SSN, are easily obtained legally and are not "secret."
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 23:59:42 »
SSN is such a joke. It's a short simple number that is somewhat predictable and is all over the place, exposed. Government will need to rectify that someday. Just a name and a 9 digit SSN should not be enough to "do anything", that's just wrong. I see so many people get freaky with their SSN which is fine, but it seems to be a wasted effort. It's archaic and old school. I don't know what the solution is, but there's got to be a better way of reporting and tracking income/taxes/benefits.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline WakeMeIPlan

• Micro Baby, Micro.
    • United Kingdom Box plots
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 22:13:01 »
Same thing happened to my hospital a few months ago. Nothing ever happened though I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 23:07:41 »
I'm Chinese and my ppl tell me your name begins with a K!

but seriously SSN's are all over the place anyway, from the information miners.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 23:59:29 »
So, I got some interesting bad news today at 6 PM. Breaking story: 2 of the hospitals I've been to have just been hacked and my information is now in the hands of some Chinese people. Anyone who went there in the last 5 years may have been affected. This would include both my parents, my grandpa, at least one family friend, and probably a lot more people I know as well. Official statement said letters would be mailed to the ones who were breached and free identity theft protection provided. What's the course of action to take if I get a letter? None of us need our credit ruined by strangers and I don't want anyone throwing my SSN out all over the Internet.

hmm, the thing you want to worry about is if those Chinese people (lol, how do you know they're "Chinese"), sell your info to American insurance companies, which is who is interested in your health records.  If you have anything that you don't want your employer to know about, like an STD, then you have something to worry about. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 02:38:40 »

hmm, the thing you want to worry about is if those Chinese people (lol, how do you know they're "Chinese"), sell your info to American insurance companies, which is who is interested in your health records.  If you have anything that you don't want your employer to know about, like an STD, then you have something to worry about.

Not an STD, but I have things I don't want people to know about in my medical history. Crap. My genetics suck to put it bluntly.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 06:35:04 »
Sue the hospital for not storing your data more securely. 'murrica!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 19:22:52 »
Better yet, go online, steal someone else's identity, use THEIR SSN!

Flip it around and turn the tables!

Payback is a *****!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~