Author Topic: Oh Unicomp, why won't you work?!!!  (Read 1958 times)

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
Oh Unicomp, why won't you work?!!!
« on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 22:13:49 »
After months of debating between Greens and BS, I finally committed to getting a Unicomp. I was a bit uneasy with my decision, as, quite frankly, the quality of photos on Unicomp's website don't really sell their products! Regardless, when the board finally came, my fingers felt a wonderful sensation heretofore unrivaled by its Cherry counterparts!!! Although very busy moving home, I typed away at every chance I could get.
However after only a couple days, the spacebar function started to go. To be more precise, sometimes the spacebar would register, at other times no space at all, and finally at other times there was a double space. I emailed Unicomp, and although very nice and pleasant, I was merely told to clean the chimneys on the spacebar. No luck.
Before I waste any money sending my board for repairs, before a hate for BS sets in, and before this manufacturer becomes the bane of my existence, can anyone please let me know if they've encountered such a thing? Any fixes?
Although durable, I can easily see that the manufacturing tolerances aren't very precise, so I'm banking on the speculation that I just got a bum board.

I sooooo want to like this board!!!

Offline 1391406

Re: Oh Unicomp, why won't you work?!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 23:40:45 »
Have you asked Unicomp for a replacement board?
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 05:00:42 »
Should work - they are basically the same as a Model M, and so many Model M are still working well after ~25 years.

That this one has malfunctioned so soon seems suspicious.

Get back in contact with Unicomp and say that you have tried their solution, but it did not work.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:33:19 »
Unicomp customer service is excellent.

Is it possible that one side of the stabilizer wire has jumped its track?

Does the whole stroke, both down and up, feel and sound like the other keys?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline LouisHjelmslev

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 09:13:40 »
Have you asked Unicomp for a replacement board?

They had told me that they'd repair the board.

Should work - they are basically the same as a Model M, and so many Model M are still working well after ~25 years.

That this one has malfunctioned so soon seems suspicious.

Get back in contact with Unicomp and say that you have tried their solution, but it did not work.

I know, these have the reputation of being tanks! My guess is that the problem is not with the design (i.e. Model M), but with QC, as the board's body construction isn't as tight as it could be (squeaking with minor torsion applied).

And yes, the customer service response has been excellent, very kind and prompt, I'm just bummed out that fixes they've been suggesting aren't working.
Maybe this is a problem with the USB connector? But then again, the issue is only with the spacebar registrations...

Offline LouisHjelmslev

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 09:16:13 »
Update:
Though there's still the problem with the board, they've just told me they'd cover the return shipping costs.
I love the keyboard (when it was working), but I'm really loving the company itself!  :thumb:

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 10:10:21 »
Unicomp case squeak / creak fix : http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58531.0
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline LouisHjelmslev

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 18:36:56 »
Unicomp case squeak / creak fix : http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58531.0

nice! most definitely will try when I get it back. Thanks!

Offline LouisHjelmslev

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 18:37:15 »

Offline maatmouse

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:13:37 »
If its a spacebar issue, send it back. I've removed space bars on these type of keyboards before and they're always a hassle and you need to know what you're doing.

Its within warranty. Send it back.