Author Topic: painting help  (Read 1108 times)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
painting help
« on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 05:55:12 »
help! final coating was gonna be today but this happened :( anybody knows how to go about fixing this? attached another picture of a another side for comparison.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: painting help
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:09:31 »
What paint did you use?
Did you follow the instructions on the can?
Did you prep the surface?

That "rippling" looks like either you coated too fast or slow so the paint wrinkled. Or you did too many coats. Or you used the wrong paint. Could be so many things...

I've had this happen before both with using certain paint on certain plastic and it "melted" the plastic on the nerf gun and wrinkled and bubbled. I've also had it happen doing too thick of coats.

As far as fixing it, sand it down and start over.  :(
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:21:52 »
You're laying it on too thick per coat. You should do several thin coats. Each coat should barely cover it until it's a uniform color. If you have time, you should sand with 400-600 grit wetordry between coats. I did 5 coats on my Filco cover in flat white. Finish with a couple clear coats (gloss or satin your preference). Then let it sit for a week. DO NOT TOUCH IT. The result will be fantastic if you are patient and let it cure. As with most things like this, painting requires some skill, but not much. It may take some practice to perfect how you hold the can, distance, stroke length (sounds dirty, huh?). At any rate good luck. Metalliqaz put out a great article on how to paint. I followed his article for the most part, and it turned out decent (not perfect).
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:44:33 »
well looks like i sprayed a little too much. hoping that sanding and spraying it once more would help. sanding this wrinkles seem to have no effect on them. holy.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:46:45 »
well looks like i sprayed a little too much. hoping that sanding and spraying it once more would help. sanding this wrinkles seem to have no effect on them. holy.

For cleaning old paint off you might want to use slightly coarser grit paper. Try 200 or 250. It will go a lot faster. Else you could get some lacquer thinner and it would strip off instantly. Don't breathe that **** though, it's brutal.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR