Author Topic: $300 CAN in the hole :D  (Read 2660 times)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
$300 CAN in the hole :D
« on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 17:30:40 »
Hi all,

Like others I've been lurking for a while and have finally decided to make my first post here.

I've been scrolling through reddit for years now and about two months ago I started wanting to replace my Logitech Wave (I kinda hated this keyboard ever since I bought it). I made my way over to r/MK to see what was out there and this is pretty much the first thing I saw (from user kiettykat)

SWEET JESUS.

So, that $300. I got the 8 switch tester from Max Keyboards and promptly decided that the MX Clear switches would be my first choice. Around about the same time the Poker2 with clears came up on Massdrop - so I took the awful shipping cost (and the future customs charges) in my stride and splashed out on my first mech. Next on the list was a full set of Round 2 Dolch from Signature Plastics and a set of o-rings. And now.... we wait!

In the future I'm looking at complimenting the Poker with a ten key to complete my 'budget homage' to that beautiful GON custom (possibly the Leopold FC210). I would like another mech for work. Maybe a TLK model which would be more friendly to people working with me at my station. I've currently made no choices as to which model but my mind is saying YES to getting a set of the Round 2 Granite to go with said future board. I'm also looking at wiring my 8 key tester into a the Raspberry Pi I have sitting on my desk, the first baby step into the custom mech money pit I'm sure.

Anyway thanks for reading, see you in the forums!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: $300 CAN in the hole :D
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 17:40:00 »
Welcome fellow Canadian! Glad to see your wallet lightening for this super fun hobby :)

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 17:42:06 »
Ghpad man. That's what I'm wanting for this! Look it up on here!
Also, Canadians!! Yay!!

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 18:32:58 »
Also, Canadians!! Yay!!

I'm going to do some research into that, thanks!

Canadians are awesome, but I must confess: I'm an Englishman who is currently living in Quebec :) (dat games industry doe)

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 18:36:43 »
Also, Canadians!! Yay!!

I'm going to do some research into that, thanks!

Canadians are awesome, but I must confess: I'm an Englishman who is currently living in Quebec :) (dat games industry doe)
We're not all perfect man, don't sweat it.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 18:48:59 »
DSA Dolch...nice first set of caps.  :thumb:

Welcome to the site.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 14:42:12 »
I ordered a fully assembled ErgoDox from massdrop from the Aug 2013 drop with shipping to Canada.  I fully expected to pay customs charges on it and some posts in the massdrop forum suggested others had incurred charges.  I was pleasantly surprised to have no additional charges upon delivery.  Maybe it’ll be your lucky day too.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 15:01:01 »
I had to pay customs on my massdrop orders. What I will say is that they sent me out my poker II before they even received the newest batch, meant for my drop, so I received mine about a month early. Crazy awesome thing for them to have done.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:30:16 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's a very nice setup you have :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:37:41 »
Welcome to geekhack! Nice to see some new people around Montreal!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:39:46 »
Heyo!
I'm also a new Canadian here on GH!
I've actually been buying mech boards for years but only used stock with the common switch types. Lately since my SO broke up with me I've had so much more money for my hobbies and started looking into modding for keyboards!
Anyway, ended up here and I just ordered a set of Granites and Ragnoraks for my boards.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 22:46:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

No no, that was the keyboard I saw which got me hooked  :eek:. Someone else is the proud owner.

Edit: or maybe your meant my Poker II with Dolch, if so, thanks a lot! And also thanks for the kinda welcome!
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 August 2014, 22:48:37 by nathanrosspowell »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 22:48:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

No no, that was the keyboard I saw which got me hooked  :eek:. Someone else is the proud owner.

Edit: or maybe your meant my Poker II with Dolch, if so, thanks a lot! And also thanks for the kinda welcome!

Ah!  In that case I can understand why you are now hooked!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 22:51:08 »

Anyway, ended up here and I just ordered a set of Granites and Ragnoraks for my boards.

Great choices. Granite, so hot right now!