Author Topic: Quiet Model M?  (Read 19433 times)

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
Quiet Model M?
« on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 19:27:20 »
I was hoping to buy myself an Unicomp Model M after I get a Saturday job when I reach 16 - but then it dawned on me how loud the Model M is.
I already put O-rings on my MX Blue keyboard because it kept my sister (in the room next to mine) awake otherwise.
So, is there a way to make the Model M quieter? Even just some sort of "tips" to keep it quiet?
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Quiet Model M?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 19:31:03 »
could always do a floss mod
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 19:35:09 »
Floss/grease mod are the usual ways to quiet it up a little. They dampen / absorb the vibrations of the spring as it hits the wall of the barrel.

One of these days I want to cut holes in the barrels and put rubber in place to make a truly quiet M. It'd take a ton of work, but it'd be neat (and hopefully still tactile).

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 20:55:07 »
One of these days I want to cut holes in the barrels and put rubber in place to make a truly quiet M. It'd take a ton of work, but it'd be neat (and hopefully still tactile).

I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing here.   Care to elaborate?
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 22:55:19 »
Someone once posted about an IBM Wheelwriter (IIRC) that had factory o-rings outside the barrels, that lessened the click from the spring inside the barrel when it buckled.

Always wanted to try it myself, potentially in addition to floss modding and maybe case lining.

But I have no qualms about how M sounds currently, so I never get around to it.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 00:27:38 »

I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing here.   Care to elaborate?

The spring hits a very small area on the barrel. My idea was to cut a hole in the barrel where that position is and replace the loud (dense) plastic with something softer and quiet. But having thought about it, I think it'd take a lot of work to perfect. I completely forgot about that odd wheelwriter and now want to give that a shot first.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:16:36 »
Isn't half the point of having a Model M about the noise it makes?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 21:45:29 »
Isn't half the point of having a Model M about the noise it makes?

Not when your co-workers ban you from using it and present a RD instead.

Half the reason I got 30 g topre is to shut that guy up. He would stab the "enter" key so hard on his RD KB in the office, you could hear it out on the sales floor. And he still complained about my model F.

Offline kalrand

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 23:57:42 »
Someone once posted about an IBM Wheelwriter (IIRC) that had factory o-rings outside the barrels, that lessened the click from the spring inside the barrel when it buckled.

I was banging away at one of these today, and those O rings are useless, and don't quiet anything.
My 122 key Model M was born on July 25th, 1988.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 09:19:03 »
Floss/grease mod are the usual ways to quiet it up a little. They dampen / absorb the vibrations of the spring as it hits the wall of the barrel.

Is there a particular make/model of floss you'd reccommend?We  might already have some.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 11:56:53 »

Is there a particular make/model of floss you'd reccommend?We  might already have some.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=9761.0

This floss:
More

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 14:21:37 »
A quiet M is like a quiet Porsche... You really want that? ;D

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 14:36:38 »
A quiet M is like a quiet Porsche... You really want that? ;D
It's not what I want - I have to not keep people awake with my typing at night.
If it was my way, I would just have them all put up with a lovely loud tactile clicky keyboard. However, they don't appreciate such fine keyboards.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 20:23:11 »
The spring hits a very small area on the barrel. My idea was to cut a hole in the barrel where that position is and replace the loud (dense) plastic with something softer and quiet.
Are you sure that the spring hits the barrel? Did you know that the click sound comes from the spring itself?
You can press a spring/hammer from a Model M together just between your thumb and forefinger and it will click - without any barrel or keycap.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 21:43:26 »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 21:59:49 »
What makes them loud is that there's a metal spring (in itself very resonant) hitting a plastic barrel, which is rigidly attached to either a big plastic plate (Model M) or a big metal plate (Model F), and the whole thing resonates. If you could make the spring hit something squishy instead, or if you could put dampening in between the barrel and the plate(s), you’d cut a lot of the sound. Building the case out of something dampening would probably help too. The floss mod cuts out most of the very high frequencies.

Perhaps it would be possible to cut a substitute for the metal plates out of some reinforced rubber or something, making sure there are enough bolts to hold the top and bottom together (or similar).

I think it would be fairly difficult to make a buckling spring board as quiet as a rubber dome, but you could probably make it substantially quieter than the standard version.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:01:40 »
The spring hits a very small area on the barrel. My idea was to cut a hole in the barrel where that position is and replace the loud (dense) plastic with something softer and quiet. But having thought about it, I think it'd take a lot of work to perfect. I completely forgot about that odd wheelwriter and now want to give that a shot first.

I had an idea similar to this, but with using a thin piece of tape lining that "column" of the barrel.    Tried electrical tape/duct tape/thin foam tape.  It worked a little, but seems a lot of the noise actually comes from the spring. I think it carries through the plastic like a speaker on a wood table and gets amplified.  I wonder if you wrapped the outside of the barrel in something like a thin foam tape it would damped the noise a bit.

(jacobolus's post showed up while I was typing this, hits on some of the same thoughts)
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 04:11:27 »
pillow
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Harrowed

• My wallet has been hacked
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 05:27:42 »
Well there exists Model M "Soft Touch" but those are rare and the price tends to be unpredictable. The springs in those were factory greased so greasing should help a little.

Ergodox MX Blues | Rosewill RK-9000

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 07:34:05 »
I
Well there exists Model M "Soft Touch" but those are rare and the price tends to be unpredictable. The springs in those were factory greased so greasing should help a little.

I bought a cheap M on ebay that had been ruined by a botched grease job. I threw the spring hammers away, they were hopeless, but everything else cleaned up and went back together OK.

The odds of doing an acceptable job by hand while working on the kitchen table are very low.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 10:56:02 »

I had an idea similar to this, but with using a thin piece of tape lining that "column" of the barrel.    Tried electrical tape/duct tape/thin foam tape.  It worked a little, but seems a lot of the noise actually comes from the spring. I think it carries through the plastic like a speaker on a wood table and gets amplified.  I wonder if you wrapped the outside of the barrel in something like a thin foam tape it would damped the noise a bit.

(jacobolus's post showed up while I was typing this, hits on some of the same thoughts)
I would combine such an effort with a floss mod (or something similar).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 20:14:41 »
Show Image

Every time I see this animation, I have to get my Model M out and slowly press the keys, imagining each spring buckling and bouncing back into shape.

Typed on my Model M :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 20:38:33 »
Show Image

Every time I see this animation, I have to get my Model M out and slowly press the keys, imagining each spring buckling and bouncing back into shape.

I envy you.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 20:39:30 »
Show Image

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 20:40:08 »
<snip>

Edit: Sorry for the multiple posts - I am getting a weird error from GH that seemed to indicate the post did not work.

Bug report in progress ...
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 20:43:09 by rowdy »

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 20:46:26 »
Show Image

I envy you so much right now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 20:58:28 »
Show Image

I envy you so much right now.

Don't envy my posting problems, though :p

Offline Altis

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 00:59:23 »
Placing the keyboard on an extra large mouse mat helps reduce much of the noise that actually penetrates walls. The table-top of the desk acts as a drum, with the area beneath as a resonating chamber, as well as the sound traveling through to the floor. A soft mat cuts down that aspect of the noise of any keyboard.. it even makes a difference on my little Apple aluminum keyboard.

Ultimately the best option is to only use the Model M when the noise isn't as much of an issue, then rotate as needed. Don't let it stop you from experiencing it!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 09:44:35 »
Placing the keyboard on an extra large mouse mat helps reduce much of the noise that actually penetrates walls. The table-top of the desk acts as a drum, with the area beneath as a resonating chamber, as well as the sound traveling through to the floor. A soft mat cuts down that aspect of the noise of any keyboard.. it even makes a difference on my little Apple aluminum keyboard.

Ultimately the best option is to only use the Model M when the noise isn't as much of an issue, then rotate as needed. Don't let it stop you from experiencing it!
I already use the Perixx DX 2000 XXL, so I have that one down already.

Offline Altis

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 11:05:31 »

You'll be fine then. To be honest, I think the noise of a Model M is pretty over-stated. My other mechanical boards are about as loud, some are even louder. In fact, if it weren't for my rattly spacebar, I'd say it's one of the quieter boards because it doesn't make a heavy bottom-out sound.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:39:07 »

You'll be fine then. To be honest, I think the noise of a Model M is pretty over-stated. My other mechanical boards are about as loud, some are even louder. In fact, if it weren't for my rattly spacebar, I'd say it's one of the quieter boards because it doesn't make a heavy bottom-out sound.
My current keyboard (Cherry G80 3000 MX Blues) was too loud so I put O-rings on it and it's it's still too loud.
How is it compared to MX Blues?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:48:10 »
A solid grease and floss mod can almost take away the click.  I recommend it.

Also, tell your sister to get earplugs.  A local audiologist can mold them to your ears.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:01:25 »

In my opinion, blue Cherry switches emit a very high and annoying "tinkling" sound.

Buckling springs are deeper and more solid. Model Fs have significant overtones, Model Ms do not.

Which is higher in actual decibels? I don't know.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 19:35:43 »

In my opinion, blue Cherry switches emit a very high and annoying "tinkling" sound.

Buckling springs are deeper and more solid. Model Fs have significant overtones, Model Ms do not.

Which is higher in actual decibels? I don't know.
We need to summon Ripster to find out.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 20:59:18 »

My co-worker objected vociferously and would not tolerate buckling springs in the office. Note that I usually don't bottom out.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:30:34 »
Show Image

FYI, that is not a regular Model M but a "Brother Switch".
Also, the point where the spring would hit the wall is obscured by a part of the wall itself.

Offline captain

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 01:24:08 »

[/quote]
It's not what I want - I have to not keep people awake with my typing at night.
[/quote]

1. Buy these light sleepers earplugs, and carry on!

2. Get a nighttime board, and just use the M during non-quiet times.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline Lammie

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 07:01:38 »
I got a Keytronic 3600U2. Has got the looks of a model M, and feels quite nice. Silent for sure. Purchasable through Amazon.com
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline Altis

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 08:18:38 »
Alright, I've done a little experiment see see what the volume levels are like. I used the Measures App, which may not be too accurate overall but should give a good idea relative to one another. I used the range of peak values that I saw, which are momentary maximums (not the overall maximum or average, as these don't give any relevant information in this test). All of these were done on a hard desk with no padding, and all were bottoming out the keys.

IBM Model M (Buckling):       63-69
Blackwidow (MX Blue):          66-72
KPT-102 (Simple Alps-Blue):  67-72
QFR (MX Red):                      65-72
Das Keyboard (MX Brown):    65-71

As far as the decibel levels go, they are all actually pretty similar. Now, that does not take into account the perception of each sound (how irritating it can be), nor the wall penetration of each sound. It really is just to give an idea of the average peak levels when typing. The overall average could be quite different between two keyboards that have the same average peak levels, since the amount of noise between peaks varies dramatically.

It would also make a different to have these on a rubber mat, not so much with peak dB levels, but especially with wall penetration. The Model M did best in this aspect as it seems to have a soft bottom-out that doesn't cause a drum effect on the table top without using a mat. Another option is to put the keyboard on your lap when you type, which can dramatically reduce the overall noise. This especially helped the MX Browns and Reds and brought them down to what could be considered quiet levels; the quietest of this test.

Avoiding bottoming-out can also reduce noise levels dramatically on MX switches (especially Brown, Red, and presumably Black), although it would have little effect on MX Blues and no effect on buckling springs.

Overall, they are all pretty loud if you are using them in a quiet environment, such as a house with people sleeping. If you really want to be able to do some serious typing at night, I'd recommend a non-clicky keyboard, typing on a soft rubber mat, or better yet, your lap.

I also tested my Apple aluminum BT keyboard. It can in at 45-50 dB on a soft surface. My office with me still is around 37 dB. Consider that sound is exponential, so that Apple keyboard is dead silent outside of the room, and extremely quiet inside it.

All of this to say... Get whichever you would like, and just use it in the right situations. It's very common around GH to have several keyboards and to rotate them through, so you would likely still be able to enjoy them all, just at the appropriate times.

PS.  You're welcome to disagree with my findings. I've tried to be as objective as possible, but I entirely concede that the number of factors are too overwhelming for any seriously accurate conclusions about which keyboards are the loudest/quietest.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 10:02:18 »
Show Image

FYI, that is not a regular Model M but a "Brother Switch".
Also, the point where the spring would hit the wall is obscured by a part of the wall itself.

Yes, the GIF is of a Brother BS switch, but it used as a demonstration of the BS mechanism in the patent drawings above it.  I don't understand your second statement.  The spring still hits the wall.

Offline maatmouse

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:08:52 »
Before you try anything, I'd put a mat or a magazine under it. That usually helps to absorb some of the noise.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:12:26 »
Before you try anything, I'd put a mat or a magazine under it. That usually helps to absorb some of the noise.

Folded towel.

Or, buy one of my EPDM mats!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.0

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:17:09 »
Model Ms are loud, especially if you slam the keys like I do!!    If you need a quiet keyboard, then the Model M is not for you.    The floss mod works well (wrote about that 4 yrs ago and people are still doing it) and definitely mutes the board and changes the overall feel and actuation little depending on the size of the floss.

I also have several of the "quiet"  Soft Touch Model M boards  (only full size were available) and they're nice as well.   Soft and muted since the switch is just swimming over a pile of grease.  But the grease is NOT easily reversible like the Floss Mod.