Author Topic: What are the symptoms of a dying mouse?  (Read 4186 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
What are the symptoms of a dying mouse?
« on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 17:23:42 »
My beloved Wow Joy Pen mouse is becoming unreliable.

Specifically, the left button often requires multiple clicks to "take" and many times the context menu appears only momentarily while the button is actually depressed, disappearing when I let up my finger. It seems to happen a lot more consistently online (Firefox) but that may just be my imagination.

I use a dual-mouse setup and my left-hand mouse seems to be working better.

If this is a switch going bad, I have no problem replacing it.

Can anybody suggest anything better? Or tell me that this is a larger problem?

Otherwise, I suppose that I will just crack it open and replace the switch.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: What are the symptoms of a dying mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 17:27:35 »
I've had mice with the multiple click problem and it was just dirt built up around the edges of the "button", you're probably cleaner than i was [am] but maybe run a knife along the join to see if there is any crap in there.

Always look for the simple solution first :)
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 05:35:27 »
It does sound a lot like a dying switch. A friend had a similar issue with his Microsoft Intellimouse. He used to game pretty intensively with it.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline dantan

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 09:07:29 »
If your switch is dying maybe you can find what switch it is and order the replacement part online?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:15:25 »
Sounds like you may need to get a new mouse!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline DWawa

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 05:03:34 »
This may not be the same thing, but my Logitech M510's always crapped out in just this way after about six months. Supposedly the fix is to adjust the spring inside the switch. I'm not a mechanical genius but I can follow instructions, but for me the adjustment never worked. I don't know about Wow Joy Pen but for the M510 a number of users--apparently a minority, though a sizable one--had the same experience. I think the root problem is that, for my model, the manufacturer settled for a "good enough" switch rather than a switch chosen specifically for its durability. I don't know why keyboard switches can be so dependable but mouse switches so often are not.