Author Topic: Bought my first nice keyboard.  (Read 1216 times)

Offline solarundies

Bought my first nice keyboard.
« on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:56:32 »
Hey guys.

I just bought my first nice keyboard. I opted for the Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2. I have very little experience with mechanical keyboards, let alone Topre switch keyboards.

I decided on it after having messed with a Das Keyboard with MX Blues and finding it far too loud for my taste. I'm fairly happy with the feel of the Topre switches. I just can't quite get used to the lack of dedicated arrow keys.

I'm still getting used to it all and have already started looking around for other options....I'm going to be so poor.

Offline JaydrVernanda

Re: Bought my first nice keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 21:05:22 »
i always liked the idea of a 60%, but i couldn't even imagine getting used to a board without arrow keys. after i discovered the glory that is spacefn, though, i bought an hhkb and never looked back.

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 21:06:42 »
Great decision!

The HHKB layout will grow on you. After a few weeks you will be used to the location of the arrow keys.

When I first received it I didn't understand all the hype about it, but after about 3 months I went back to my Filco and I realized how great the HHKB felt.

Now I mainly use the HHKB at work, and use blues or reds here at home for gaming etc. You're right though, while you stay interested in boards you can say good bye to your savings :D

Enjoy the board and welcome to geekhack!

Offline solarundies

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 21:50:00 »
Great decision!

The HHKB layout will grow on you. After a few weeks you will be used to the location of the arrow keys.

When I first received it I didn't understand all the hype about it, but after about 3 months I went back to my Filco and I realized how great the HHKB felt.

Now I mainly use the HHKB at work, and use blues or reds here at home for gaming etc. You're right though, while you stay interested in boards you can say good bye to your savings :D

Enjoy the board and welcome to geekhack!

Thank you!

SpaceFn? Looks interesting. I'll give it a shot and let you know what I think.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 22:43:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you like the HHKB (size and feel) but really, really miss the dedicated arrow keys, you could consider a Leopold FC660C.

All the joy of Topre plus dedicated arrow keys.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 23:08:26 »
Welcome!

Offline Manchias

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:59:26 »
Leopold FC660C is worth to buy.

Welcome to GH