Author Topic: GH-122 Making a Stupidly Large MX (or Alps) Keyboard  (Read 120394 times)

Offline kalrand

Re: GH-122 Making a Stupidly Large MX Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 12:18:41 »
This might be a stupid suggestion, but have we thought about talking to Unicomp about what their 122 key cases would cost?

We don't need barrels or whatever, but just the outer plastic. Mount it all to a steel plate (and the bend could be in the plate!) and then add pcbs.

I also don't even solder, so if this is a stupid idea, well, ignore it.
My 122 key Model M was born on July 25th, 1988.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 12:34:41 »
This is another gem of a project from you, Ron, it's my bad luck that it comes at this point, when I am super busy in RL, which is why I have had to put Blox on the back-burner for now.

I wish for the project to be fruitful, and I'll be keenly watching in what direction it goes. I hope at the end of this project and the GH36, the PCB files will be made available, for those of us who would like to build on it in the future.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:27:08 »
Yes, the Chyron and Grass Valley ones also have the same dimensions as the G80-2000 series on the main PCB which I am pretty sure is .5 units between sections, though their separate function row PCB are different. I can measure the case shell holes later on when I can find a long enough screwdriver to open the damn thing again.

So otherwise my wishlist is PCB mount stabs, and JIS support with 2.75 space and at least 2 extra mods keys on the bottom row on each side of space since all the other keys for JIS you already have done.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:32:56 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 15:46:22 »
This might be a stupid suggestion, but have we thought about talking to Unicomp about what their 122 key cases would cost?

We don't need barrels or whatever, but just the outer plastic. Mount it all to a steel plate (and the bend could be in the plate!) and then add pcbs.

Any case from Unicomp is $20.  But using a Unicomp 122 case would (likely) require a bent PCB / plate.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline kalrand

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 16:17:03 »

Any case from Unicomp is $20.  But using a Unicomp 122 case would (likely) require a bent PCB / plate.

That sounds like a good thing. An unlimited number of known-quality cases with out us all bidding up the same auctions on Ebay.
My 122 key Model M was born on July 25th, 1988.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 16:37:03 »
Unicomp 122 cases is a brilliant suggestion!  $31 buys a case, the proper IBM-style LED cover, and ground shipping.  Probably in a big-ass box as well.

Ordered.  For $31, it is worth a try.  Mine will be in proper Pearl and Pebble.

Oh, the Teensy++ isn't done, but the dang ribbon cables are.  Those were much harder than I expected!

75395-0
Yet another GH-122 layout, now with ribbon cable pads!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  I have lots of room in the bottom, so I'll add the JIS keys once I find a good sample.  If you can provide the 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1 - 2.75 - 1 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 (or whatever), that would be plenty.

p.p.s.  Also, I will attempt to get PCB stabilizer holes in place.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 17:21:55 »
I followed the Matias blueprints, so the pads should fit. I don't know anything about Alps stabilizers, so that will be up to you.  Also, I had to rotate the ISO enter switch, so I have no idea if that will work with Alps keycaps.

Regardless, this is going to be one huge board.  Assuming it works and we can get cases and firmware for the Teensy++.  😉 :cool:

- Ron | samwisekoi
soarer's controller code will run on T++ so we can use that for sure.

Offline SL89

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 17:36:21 »
wow this is moving pretty quick, what sort of case did you envision for this Samwise?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 18:09:58 »
[/quote]

I was just looking up this fine piece of software. I see it supports multiple layers but couldn't find any examples of same. How do soarer's layers work?

Of course, with 122-ish keys, there's nearly no need for alternate layers as even mousing and media keys could be added into layer one without too much crowding.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 20:16:33 »
wow this is moving pretty quick, what sort of case did you envision for this Samwise?

Metal.  Heavy metal.  A big chunk of CNC-machined aluminum sounds like the right thing to do.

Initially, I am going to see if I can fit it into the Unicomp case mentioned above.

Some pics...

75398-0
GH-122 Controller Daughter PCB by samwisekoi 2014

So the controller is laid out.  Teensy++, two ribbon cables, three LEDs and resistors, expansion pads for NUM, CAPS and LED1-3 (PWM) and useable attached or cut off.

75400-1
GH-122 Pre-Proto PCB v140821g3 by samwisekoi 2014

The main PCB now has cut lines for everywhere cuts should be made.  I have not yet added JIS or stabilizer mounts.  (I might have to remove ISO support to add the stab holes.)  There are LED pads and resistor pads at every switch location, but I have not (and probably will not) run traces or added any kind of LED control circuits to the main board.  However, all of the pins and pads are labeled for the builder to add LED support if he or she desires.  The three LEDs in the upper right corner are good enough for me.

I think that is enough for today.  In a couple of days we've gone from a random "what if" question to a nearly complete PCB.  Not bad for a quick project.

I am happy to send soft copies to interested people that I know.  Please PM me if interested.

Thanks everyone for your input and support!

Now, please go order some Nuclear Data Green SA keycaps if you haven't already!

- Ron | samwisekoi

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 20:42:39 »

I was just looking up this fine piece of software. I see it supports multiple layers but couldn't find any examples of same. How do soarer's layers work?

Of course, with 122-ish keys, there's nearly no need for alternate layers as even mousing and media keys could be added into layer one without too much crowding.
You can assign a key (or combination of keys ) to a FN layer and then define a remapblock for that function layer. Then when the FN key is pressed (or held down, depending on how you want to do it) the keys are "remapped" to the new layer. I really like it.

I'm using that functionality right now to make my wyse KB qwerty / dvorak swappable. I just press the key next to backspace and it swaps it. works great. You can also have funcion keys that work as normal. I have fn+1 = F1 , etc.

The main PCB now has cut lines for everywhere cuts should be made. 

I was thinking about that and it looks like cutting off the arrowkeys would be pretty tough. I'm not sure if I want to do that, but the "unsaver" that wcass set up was made like that.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:18:19 by dorkvader »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:06:14 »
No, only the top, left, and rightmost blocks can be cut off.

But why? Then you'd have a Phantom!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:15:50 »
No, only the top, left, and rightmost blocks can be cut off.

But why? Then you'd have a Phantom!

- Ron | samwisekoi

I'm trying to find out who it was. They had the 24-function keys and 10 on the left still there, but everything after backsapce and enter was cut off. The case was painted blue. I really liked the layout.

edit: found it

it was wcass of course
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34887.msg645627#msg645627
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:17:43 by dorkvader »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:18:18 »
Yes. Nice. I'll see what I can do.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:56:50 »
If you slice off the editing block, the controller has to go somewhere else... so we can assume those users will be on ribbon cables 100% of the time.

The issue is that the cut would have to go somewhere in the middle of the second ribbon cable connector.

Why not run a second instance of that connector, say, above ~, 1, and 2?  Wire it to the same lines as the ones that would be endangered by the cut.   I think really, you'd only need the first six or seven of the lines from the second ribbon cable to be actually carried over there.  Everything after that is exclusively numpad and editing block territory, it looks like.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 09:21:19 »
If you slice off the editing block, the controller has to go somewhere else... so we can assume those users will be on ribbon cables 100% of the time.

The issue is that the cut would have to go somewhere in the middle of the second ribbon cable connector.

Why not run a second instance of that connector, say, above ~, 1, and 2?  Wire it to the same lines as the ones that would be endangered by the cut.   I think really, you'd only need the first six or seven of the lines from the second ribbon cable to be actually carried over there.  Everything after that is exclusively numpad and editing block territory, it looks like.

Yup, and most of the lines are already on the cable to the upper bank.

So, ok, but first stabiliizers!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:14:22 »
why don't just keep it long :p

HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:59:42 »
I love the mental image of this giant board with the Nuclear Green set on it!

I'm not sure if it's something I could justify backing, but best of luck with bringing the idea to life.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 14:01:17 »
I think stabilizer-wise, plate mount might be the best choice:

1.  You don't have to put more holes in an already crowded PCB. I know a lot of the more ambitious "it's ANSI and ISO and supports twelve different stabilizer types" PCBs had issues where they ran into space pinches trying to fit the PCB-mount stabilizer holes into the design.  Hell, you might be able to remove the mounting holes for PCB mounted switches for simpler production and greater stiffness.

2. With Costar stabilizers, You can hack them to use with ALPS-style stabilized keys.  See http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57458.msg1306191#msg1306191 This feature shuts up that crowd without any extra effort.

Admittedly, this does punt some of the "ten thousand stabilizer holes" problem to the plate makers, but I think it's reasonable to have seperate ANSI and ISO plates.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 14:35:20 »
OK.  Done.  (Or nearly done.)

Controller daughter card complete with some added functions for LEDs AND some pre-drilled holes for additional prototyping.  (e.g. a few transistors to power LED strings.)  That version was frozen at v140821h4, and is so labelled.  Also ti was widened by 0.250" and 6/32 or 3mm mounting holes added at all four corners.

75436-0
GH-122 Controller PCB by samwisekoi 2014

The main board went through a bunch of changes, and with the exception of errors, general cleanup, and possibly altering the section spacing to match Cherry or Unicomp cases, the design is fixed.  JIS, extra cut lines, or an extra connector set did not make it in for this round.

What did make it in was:

- PCB-mount stabilizers for ANSI and Winkeyless ANSI switch positions.
 - A three-LED section above the numpad to match the layout of the IBM keycaps.
 - Improvements to many of the traces, including safer free zones around the cut lines.

For spacebar stabilizer spacing, I went with 50mm for the 6.25 spacebar and 2.500" for the 7.00 spacebar.  I used the DT wiki for the measurements, so please advise if these are the wrong spacings.

75438-1
GH-122 Near-final Prototype by samwisekoi 2014

Remaining to do for this version:

- Label all switch positions (e.g. R3C17).
 - Add mounting holes for the main board.
 - Increase horizontal spacing between sections once I have specific information to do so.

Still getting a price estimate of $59.75 each for qty=10.   :thumb:

My JD40 comes in today, and the prototype GH-36 PCBs come in this week, so I am about out of time to work on this design.

One more design pass and then we'll see about getting some made.

Thanks to one and all!

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Sat, 23 August 2014, 16:24:36 by samwisekoi »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 21:43:53 »
OK.  Done.

- Label all switch positions (e.g. R3C17). [DONE]
 - Add mounting holes for the main board. [DONE]
 - Increase horizontal spacing between sections once I have specific information to do so. [SEE BELOW]
 + Added ground plane around the board and to all LED resistors.
 + Added traces to the LED pads on the board for NUMLOCK and CAPSLOCK LEDs.
 + Added PCB stabilizer mounts for the ISO Enter key.
 + Added a big ol' "geekhack.org" logo to the silkscreen, since that is apparently the done thing now.

Horizontal Spacing:

I am at the office (where my JD40 kit isn't) and measured the spaces between sections on my Model M.  Just about 0.333", as they like to make switches in thirds.  The space where the Windows key isn't measures 0.67" and they call the Ctrl and Alt keys "one and one-third" keyspaces.  The vertical distance between 2@ and F1 is .77, or just over one switch unit.  I replicated the measurements on an IBM terminal board as well.

The upshot of that is one-third gaps that are unlikely to work on any Cherry case, although if we use the Cherry 0.375" gaps, the PCB  will probably be fine in either case.  Hopefully Ivan (or someone) will be able to validate the measurements on Cherry cases.

Then I measured the gaps on multiple modern 104-key keyboards (Filco, WASD, Rosewill) and they are all less than the IBM, at about 0.25" or so.  I have no relevant Cherry keyboards.

As the design sits right now, the board is done with 0.250" horizontal gaps between sections.  I could leave it there or make the gaps wider.

Thoughts, anyone?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline bianco

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:34:00 »
this is one insane board... and i'm interested.
one question: would the numpad section allow 2u for both plus and enter?

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 02:16:59 »

bianco raises a good point, it looks like the intermediary hole for the 2u "+" switch on the number pad is placed in the wrong spot.

Good work none the less samwise! I'm definitely interested in picking one of these up if a small buy is made available. Just for the sake of having a stupidly large custom keyboard.
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 02:56:56 »
I think when it's ready to open, it might be worth asking if there are price breaks at more than ten units, and possibly also posting something to DT and maybe some of the Korean forums.  I don't think anyone's ever done a custom larger than a 101-104-108 key layout before, so there might be global demand, and the more people you can talk into it, the cheaper it's likely to be per unit.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 07:53:15 »

bianco raises a good point, it looks like the intermediary hole for the 2u "+" switch on the number pad is placed in the wrong spot.

Good work none the less samwise! I'm definitely interested in picking one of these up if a small buy is made available. Just for the sake of having a stupidly large custom keyboard.

Ouch!  Mistake, mistake!  Fixed.  Thanks!

I think when it's ready to open, it might be worth asking if there are price breaks at more than ten units, and possibly also posting something to DT and maybe some of the Korean forums.  I don't think anyone's ever done a custom larger than a 101-104-108 key layout before, so there might be global demand, and the more people you can talk into it, the cheaper it's likely to be per unit.

Can do, although there needs to be a prototype round anyhow, so some people are going to get these first few anyhow.

I try and find the low point in price per board for prototype runs; five or ten hobbyists and it can be done.  More than that and it becomes a group buy, and I have Nuclear Data Green now, and probably some number of GH-36 as a group buy after that.  Also, at any kind of volume, people are going to demand factory-installed SMD components and full backlighting, and that was what killed the fun (for me) of the more modular GH-75 design.

So for now, if enough people want to build one of these as a prototype, I am happy to have spent a week on the design.  After that?  Sure, we can do a bigger round.

But in the meantime, let's decide on spacing and all go buy some Nuclear Data Green keycaps -- the Official Keycap of the GH-122!

Thanks all,

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 12:59:29 by samwisekoi »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 08:40:18 »
Cherry have 1cm space between each section. I measured that from outside edge of keycap to next outside edge of keycap. I still haven't been able to get case open again. It has these really deep latches that are really stubborn. But, I am concerned about where holes would be on pcb so case can close vs all those traces you have on the top of the pcb.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 09:01:06 »
Cherry have 1cm space between each section. I measured that from outside edge of keycap to next outside edge of keycap. I still haven't been able to get case open again. It has these really deep latches that are really stubborn. But, I am concerned about where holes would be on pcb so case can close vs all those traces you have on the top of the pcb.

Thank you.  Can you measure from the right edge of the Backspace keycap to the right edge of the Insert keycap?  That way I can eliminate the variability of keycap width.  (That measurement minus 0.750" will be the extra space in the gap between columns.)

Imperial or Metric measurements are fine.

Also, if you can point me to a really good top-down  image of the PCB I can probably work out the mounting holes from there.

Thanks again!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 10:26:15 »
In the 2x5 breakaway board on the left side, where you have stabilizers for a 2x width key on the top - you could probably just leave that as 2 single keys.  Would only look like a Sun Type 6/7 board if you added a 2x width key above the 2x5 pack, in line with the bottom function row.

Offline Parak

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 10:32:49 »
Those pcb prices are sort of insane. If you're exporting regular gerbers, look at a china pcb fab like sitopway (I used them a few times) to get better quotes on prototype and production runs...

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 13:04:46 »
In the 2x5 breakaway board on the left side, where you have stabilizers for a 2x width key on the top - you could probably just leave that as 2 single keys.  Would only look like a Sun Type 6/7 board if you added a 2x width key above the 2x5 pack, in line with the bottom function row.

Yes, okay.  It might be interesting to have a pair or quad up there anyhow.

Meantime, this is what I think I shall do for a case.  This is just the face plate.  Made from 0.125" stainless and bent up just below the function keys and bent down (to vertical) above them, it will (IMHO) make a nice top plate.  Matching metal bottom plate with (possibly) translucent sides for a subtle lighting effect.  And a whole bunch of weight.  Perhaps painted a nice industrial color, or even wrinkle-finish Engine Enamel.

Oh, and it will fit, fully assembled, into a USPS Game Box.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 13:15:18 »

Yes, okay.  It might be interesting to have a pair or quad up there anyhow.

Meantime, this is what I think I shall do for a case.  This is just the face plate.  Made from 0.125" stainless and bent up just below the function keys and bent down (to vertical) above them, it will (IMHO) make a nice top plate.  Matching metal bottom plate with (possibly) translucent sides for a subtle lighting effect.  And a whole bunch of weight.  Perhaps painted a nice industrial color, or even wrinkle-finish Engine Enamel.

Oh, and it will fit, fully assembled, into a USPS Game Box.

- Ron | samwisekoi

I will be wiring up RGBLEDs to the lock indicator lights through a transistor if this case ever gets made with a clear sidepanel.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 16:41:28 »
Case face looks good.  Would imagine each of us would have to get one cut in the specific desired layout though.  Like reverse T arrows instead of the + pack, or the left block removed, function block removed, etc.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:24:55 »
I truly hope this is the last rev of this board.

NOTE:  Backlighting and/or traces for backlighting are not part of the design spec of this board.  However, in all the places where they wouldn't cause re-routing of keyswitch traces, you may find traces for LEDs and related resistors.  Not control circuits, mind you, but 150 of the tedious lines manual backlighting would require.  The other 75 or so are up to the user.

Other than that, this has better mounting holes, slightly altered ribbon mounts, and everything fixed that I am aware of needing fixing.

No warranty is expressed or implied.  This was a good faith effort, but it is a prototype, and post-production fixes may be required.  Also, no firmware will be provided by me in any shape or form.  Others are better at such tasks than I.

But the question comes upon us now...

Are there four or more people who would like to own one of these beasts for production cost plus taxes and shipping?

Reply here or in a PM if you are interested!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:33:25 »
Totally in for this. I'd prefer a more ANSI-like layout, but you can always include options. :)

Show Image

Wait - I missed this.

Did you just whip together a plate design?

You da man!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline SL89

Re: GH-122 Making a Stupidly Large MX (or Alps) Keyboard
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:41:21 »
I love that face plate, but i thought Sam said the Nav cluster was just gonna be a 3 x 5 cluster to allow for full + or T shapes

Also i dont just want one Sam, but i NEED one of these!
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:44:21 by SL89 »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:46:43 »
NOTE:  Backlighting and/or traces for backlighting are not part of the design spec of this board.  However, in all the places where they wouldn't cause re-routing of keyswitch traces, you may find traces for LEDs and related resistors.  Not control circuits, mind you, but 150 of the tedious lines manual backlighting would require.  The other 75 or so are up to the user.

Oh awesome, that'll save a lot of time for people like me.

You can just jumper the indicator lights to each "section" of the LED matrix through a transistor and call it good. Then you'd just need to tell the firmware to keep the light on when you tell it to instead of for actual capslock / scrolllock/numlock usage. Alternatively just wire it up with a toggle switch (drilling a hole in the case for a toggle switch is pretty normal I'd think for a KB this size / type) to the 5V line directly.

I think we should combine these two ideas:

to make a less-expensive but still awesome case.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:50:33 by dorkvader »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 21:13:16 »
Totally in for this. I'd prefer a more ANSI-like layout, but you can always include options. :)

Show Image

Wait - I missed this.

Did you just whip together a plate design?

You da man!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Yeah, man, I can whip out plate designs pretty fast. If you want me to make the mounting plate layer for your metal case, I just need to know the measurements between sections, where the screw holes will be, etc. I can get the direction for the stabilizers from the PCB mockup.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 21:42:53 »
Definitly interested... ready to throw money at you.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 23:28:47 »
I'm hovering right at the edge. I don't need this and honestly it might never see the light of day -- it would suck down so many key switches!

But ... no layers, y'know? Totally the opposite end of the spectrum from a 60%, it has more keys than you could ever wish for.

I'm saying no ... with reservations.

EDIT: I shouldn't need to say this, but whoever all goes into this project needs to be sure they're buying the nuclear green keys. This needs the nuclear-green keyset. Not rainbow sherbert, not dull office gray; this is the layout of the near-apocolypse and should be adorned respectfully as such.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 23:42:18 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 00:39:08 »
Actually, I think dull two-tone grey also works well... this is the GH answer to the IBM 122-key, the Focus 9000, the G80-2000 family... all those OG battleship boards, which made their appearance long before "custom keycaps in any colour and symbols you could want" were a thing.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:51:17 »
I'm totally interested.  I might not end up using it all the time, I'm not even sure if it will fit on my tiny desk, but damn it just looks like such a glorious thing and too interesting to pass up.

So I want to get in on this project.   :thumb:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 15:07:32 »
This is the list of people who have formally signed up.  We have eight now, so this is a GO.
(In order of formal response.)

samwisekoi
SL89
Hak Foo
HoffmanMyster
jdcarpe
bianco
Ishamael

I think I'll embed the prototypers list in silkscreen for all eternity.

My plan is to wait until the Unicomp 122 case arrives, then take some measurements  and do a mechanical refresh if it can be made to work.  Then I will do a call for PayPal and place the order.

In the meantime I've ordered a Teensy++ just because.

FYI to all,

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 11:12:24 by samwisekoi »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 15:09:59 »
Well, I'm in. Sorry, thought you knew that already. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 18:14:44 »
Add me to the prototype list as well.

Offline bianco

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 19:14:51 »
i'm definitely in

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 23:08:58 »
I just spent my evening desoldering Matias switches from my now officially defunct Ducky 1008XM, so as to boost my stockpile to sufficient levels for this project.  Don't let me down.

Offline SL89

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 23:49:38 »
hopefully i'll have some experience soldering some things before i assemble this masterpiece, i am so happy to be on the list.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 01:03:16 »
How about something like this for a case+plate thing?

Obviously, I've used jdcarpe's design as a reference... the point is more to demonstrate the overall design concept, so no measurements are final.

LED holes obviously needed, and possibly a cutaway to access the Teensy.

The idea is just to add a tiny bit of extra material on the sides, and then bend it twice on each side.  You can either then attach feet directly to the bottom ridge, or bolt a "bottom plate" to those four holes.

Potentially, cuts could be made to have the upper 24 keys at an angle.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 02:27:34 »
The bottom edge bends should probably not be parallel to the bends that form the sides, that way the top face of the plate is angled slightly.

Offline bianco

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 07:48:22 »
How about something like this for a case+plate thing?

Obviously, I've used jdcarpe's design as a reference... the point is more to demonstrate the overall design concept, so no measurements are final.

Show Image

LED holes obviously needed, and possibly a cutaway to access the Teensy.

The idea is just to add a tiny bit of extra material on the sides, and then bend it twice on each side.  You can either then attach feet directly to the bottom ridge, or bolt a "bottom plate" to those four holes.

Potentially, cuts could be made to have the upper 24 keys at an angle.

nice! i like the case+plate concept.
however, would there be possibility of flex in the middle?
especially with heavy handed typists?