Author Topic: GH-122 Making a Stupidly Large MX (or Alps) Keyboard  (Read 120448 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: GH-122 Making a Stupidly Large MX (or Alps) Keyboard
« Reply #400 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 07:39:15 »
And what makes F122s or M122s so hard to find?  I have sold plenty of them, still have plenty of them!

With Cherry MX stems?  Or choice of switches?

The point here is not to replace the F-122 (or even the still-available PC-122) but to create an adaptable, programmable, modern expression of the 122-key keyboard.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.

This idea really runs against the current, when it comes to Cherry-switch keyboards (ever smaller layouts, etc.) and that makes it awesome.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline tufty

« Reply #401 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 12:19:19 »
Hell yeah, if you're gonna go with staggered qwerty, at least do so with the proper layout.  I love me a 122, me.

That said, the PC122 is very tempting, and, frankly, it's damn cheap.  Cheaper than a ****ty cheap-ass cherry board, even including shipping to the ass-end of the alps.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #402 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 07:17:18 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66202.msg1548805#msg1548805
Made a second Tipro casings photolog.
Hope that helps. This is a more modern design, lighter and plastic. I think the casing might wind up being more expensive due to molding needs, but the PCB and cable connectors may give you good ideas.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline SL89

« Reply #403 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 13:45:17 »
The tipro idea is cool, but not very battleship-ish is it?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #404 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 20:46:41 »

I think the point is that it's very scalable and thus of inherent worth to this project.

Also: tipro can absolutely be a battleship. check out kbdfr's setup on DT

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/programming-a-tipro-board-on-the-fly-like-a-cherry-g80-2100-t813.html#p18835

If that's not a battleship, I'm not sure I know what is.

Offline SL89

« Reply #405 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 07:08:35 »

I think the point is that it's very scalable and thus of inherent worth to this project.

Also: tipro can absolutely be a battleship. check out kbdfr's setup on DT
Show Image

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/programming-a-tipro-board-on-the-fly-like-a-cherry-g80-2100-t813.html#p18835

If that's not a battleship, I'm not sure I know what is.

True that!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #406 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 16:12:45 »
Still interested in this.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #407 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:30:03 »

+1

Who's in charge around here, anyhow?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #408 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:31:46 »

+1

Who's in charge around here, anyhow?

- Ron | samwisekoi

I think it's you.  ;)

Offline SL89

« Reply #409 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:33:00 »
is it time to bump this thread?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #410 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 07:29:48 »
No, this hasn't died at all.  It is just circling the runway above a few other projects.  (JD45 and GH36 in particular.)

I have been discussing firmware with HaTaa.  The scale of this board means a larger controller, which in turn provides more RAM, so we may be able to have cool features like recordable macros, etc.

Anyhow, this project is still active.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  I used the GH-122 MX/Alps switch footprints on the JD45, so experience from that prototyping round will help the GH-122.  This will be especially important on the very complex bottom row, as some of the lead "holes" are more like "daisy-chains"!
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 January 2015, 07:32:39 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #411 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 23:12:57 »
This keyboard is going to heavily tempt me to want to get a set of Dasher terminal themed keys

Show Image

Show Image

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65864.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #412 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 21:26:48 »
I'm sure this question has come up before, but can we have those 4 blocked off key open for us to use?
The PC-122 case won't support it, but I'm sure some people would be daring enough to wreck a case for the sake of 4 extra keys  :p
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #413 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 23:39:57 »
I'm sure this question has come up before, but can we have those 4 blocked off key open for us to use?
The PC-122 case won't support it, but I'm sure some people would be daring enough to wreck a case for the sake of 4 extra keys  :p

I would do it
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #414 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 11:21:42 »

Oh yes.  There aren't 4 hidden key positions you can use.  There are 30 other key positions you can use -- for a total of one-hundred and fifty-two keys!

Below and attached is a "max keys" example.  The legends used are fairly arbitrary, since I couldn't actually think of any reason to use all 152 positions at the same time.  But you could!

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/a3da0ec2c105d9a93e76e42d781d2ccb

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 January 2015, 11:25:05 by samwisekoi »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #415 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 12:28:58 »

Oh yes.  There aren't 4 hidden key positions you can use.  There are 30 other key positions you can use -- for a total of one-hundred and fifty-two keys!

Below and attached is a "max keys" example.  The legends used are fairly arbitrary, since I couldn't actually think of any reason to use all 152 positions at the same time.  But you could!

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/a3da0ec2c105d9a93e76e42d781d2ccb

- Ron | samwisekoi

This is god damn beautiful!
This is what a true terminal keyboard should look like!  ;D
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline BillDee

« Reply #416 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 05:08:55 »
I'm glad I found this before you finished it.

Is there a status report for it?

This is a keyboard I was designing, the "Super Programmer's Keyboard" (truncated on the right),
but the GH-132 would be better than nothing.

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 05:18:24 by BillDee »

Offline BillDee

« Reply #417 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 06:08:41 »
Would it be possible to set up the keys like this?

I would have group-colored some sections, but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/9642b52c7b5989316fbfb85d2dcc930e

Actually, I would like to put the Home and End keys on each side of the Up key,
and make the Delete key be double-height where the Home & Ins keys are.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 06:21:04 by BillDee »

Offline SL89

« Reply #418 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:56:08 »
Every time I see this thread I get hyped.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #419 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 13:27:21 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Now all it needs is the silhouette of an aircraft carrier for that upper right corner of open space.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SL89

« Reply #420 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 14:02:06 »
Not a carrier, a battleship! All guns blazing.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #421 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 14:06:01 »

But when you factor in the air wing, a carrier has much higher offensive capabilities than a battleship.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SL89

« Reply #422 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 14:12:39 »

But when you factor in the air wing, a carrier has much higher offensive capabilities than a battleship.

Yes but this is meant to be a modernized throwback. I'd say use the Space Battleship Yamato but idk how well it would go over.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #423 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 08:30:53 »
So when I first started lurking GeekHack about six months ago I was typing on my only mechanical board, a Ducky Shine III. At that time I saw this thread and thought to myself, "custom keyboard PCBs? That's crazy." I also thought, "who would want a keyboard that big, anyway?" And in general was not interested in this project at all. Since then I've picked up a second full-size keyboard, two Model M's (a full-size and an SSK), placed orders for seven sets of keycaps and two Infinity kits (one Cherry and one Alps). So I guess you could say I've changed my mind about custom/BYO keyboards.

In the past few days I've stumbled upon some neat deals on older boards. I bought one of these new-in-box Unitek white Alps boards and two of these Unicomp PC-122's. It got me thinking back to all that time ago when I first saw this thread, but since I was lurking at the time and otherwise generally uninterested, I had to do some digging to find it again.

All that to say, I don't know what you guys did to me over the past few months, but I am so psyched about this project right now and hopefully I'll be able to get in on this.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline SL89

« Reply #424 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:59:32 »
Everytime I see a new post in this thread I get so hyped.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #425 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 19:10:14 »
Same here.  This and the Axios thread are two I regularly check on.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #426 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 20:29:06 »

Great thanks. I didn't know about the Axios. Just what I needed, yet another custom build to lust after and eventually throw money after.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #427 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 19:18:10 »

Great thanks. I didn't know about the Axios. Just what I needed, yet another custom build to lust after and eventually throw money after.

Fortunately both projects may take a while to complete so at least the money concerns aren't so immediate though the Axios does appear to have a good amount of work already done including what appears to be a working prototype.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #428 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 11:26:09 »
Hi!

Offline SL89

« Reply #429 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:01:35 »
Hi!

Hey Ron, whats up?

I see the GH36 is going well.

Is it time to fire up the Battleship?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #430 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:11:36 »
Not yet.

- Ron | samwisekoi
(Typed on my newly-mapped JD45.)

Offline SL89

« Reply #431 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:19:29 »
Roger.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #432 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:50:29 »
Hi!

Not yet.

- Ron | samwisekoi
(Typed on my newly-mapped JD45.)

There's a word for this kind of thing: tease.

My boards:
More

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #433 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:07:51 »
Keep alive bump.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #434 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:28:21 »
Yeah really. I want this.

My boards:
More

Offline neverused

« Reply #435 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 22:08:00 »
Sam's last post was May 29th. I would love to see the SD60 and this completed, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Offline BillDee

« Reply #436 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 05:04:50 »
ANY status at all???

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #437 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:48:11 »
ANY status at all???

Last post from the OP remains May 29, 2015.  Unfortunately, nothing to report at the moment unless samwisekoi jumps back in or another takes over this one.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #438 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 20:28:51 »
Get the native PS/2 NMB Hi-Tek and forget about those wimpy switches.

"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline engicoder

« Reply #439 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 22:19:58 »
Get the native PS/2 NMB Hi-Tek and forget about those wimpy switches.

If only they weren't so scarce!!

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #440 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 23:07:07 »
I've been looking at doing a custom plate and PCB with a layout from keyboard-layout-editor.com... as a rough approximation, a similar size plate seems to run about $100 to cut.  I suspect that this might be the fastest route to a 122-sized custom.

The problem is PCBs... there's a tool that's supposed to generate a PCB from the layout, but it seemed to blow up when I fed it my massive layout model.

Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #441 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 01:29:18 »
The Hi-Tek isn't bad but I'm wanting a ANSI layout that I can put some nice SA caps on.

Actually, a split/tented 122 would be quite awesome.  Ergo Battleship.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #442 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 09:36:54 »
I've been looking at doing a custom plate and PCB with a layout from keyboard-layout-editor.com... as a rough approximation, a similar size plate seems to run about $100 to cut.  I suspect that this might be the fastest route to a 122-sized custom.

The problem is PCBs... there's a tool that's supposed to generate a PCB from the layout, but it seemed to blow up when I fed it my massive layout model.
I design my own PCBs on hand. I developed a technique on Eagle that makes it easy to design any keyboard you want. Of course it isn't as fast as an script, but I still prefer doing it.

And the technique is dead simple: before anything else, create a new project and start with the board, not the schematics. Activate the grid view (I prefer dots, but you can set to lines too, your preference) and set the grid granularity to 0.1875 inches. That's 0.25u of a key. Then I start drawing guidelines with lines of 0 width of the reference or document layers. Only after drawing all guidelines I go to the schematics and start designing the board.

I should make a time lapse video showing this, I think some people would be interested.

Offline SL89

« Reply #443 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 09:42:56 »
Every time this project get's bumped I lose my ****. GH-122 WHEN?!

Offline neverused

« Reply #444 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 10:15:08 »

I design my own PCBs on hand. I developed a technique on Eagle that makes it easy to design any keyboard you want. Of course it isn't as fast as an script, but I still prefer doing it.

And the technique is dead simple: before anything else, create a new project and start with the board, not the schematics. Activate the grid view (I prefer dots, but you can set to lines too, your preference) and set the grid granularity to 0.1875 inches. That's 0.25u of a key. Then I start drawing guidelines with lines of 0 width of the reference or document layers. Only after drawing all guidelines I go to the schematics and start designing the board.

I should make a time lapse video showing this, I think some people would be interested.
That would be awesome.

Offline LukStarkiller

« Reply #445 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 22:16:19 »
my trusty 102 IBM M worked perfectly until last month, needs a membrane replacement, that's not a problem as I have a lot of them and one model F (getting one in good condition in spanish is difficult as hell this days, so I've worked hard the last years to get replacement parts).
After years using these keyboards I'm convinced they are the best to write on, but not the best for gaming and other uses, so finally last month I decided that, beside repairing my 102, I want a keyboard with cherry MX switches programmable and backlit.

There are a lot of gaming options, none with all the things I want and built to last as much as the model M and after having a model M I've wanted a more solid keyboard.
Looking for solutions I remembered I have two 122 IBM model M that I don't use because they need extensive repairs but I love (all those available keys :D ), repairing it's an option but the membrane and circuitry is old, installing a teensy can solve the programmable keys but I think they are 2KRO anyways, not counting with backlit.
So after being thinking this month, a few days ago I finally decided to try to repair one of the 122 with the parts in good condition of the other and build a frankenboard using the one with the ruined parts, making a new plate for cherry MX switches with more space and bendings between rows to make it concave upward, needless to say that although I am Spanish and here we use an ISO layout, I would opt for an ANSI layout  in US english without double vertical keys, and a wire soldered matrix with a teensy++ 2.0 and another USB cable for the extra LEDs (the wall power outlets on my desktop are too much populated), a hell of wires inside the case.

So finding this project it's the best option for me now. I will wait some more time before  doing anything more to see if this gets interesting again, so count with me.
By the way, the PCB design is awesome.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #446 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 13:11:06 »
Might be a while for this one.  Looks like samwisekoi hasn't been on since October.

Given I've got things like a new washer to buy ($10-20 part went out... video on Youtube of how to disassemble the washer and replace it is all of 9 minutes long... but the wife wants a "low water" washer because this one is 15 years old.  Sigh.)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #447 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 14:53:42 »
Just in case anyone is only watching THIS GH-122 thread, please be advised that there are a couple of actual GH-122.2016 PCBs still available in the NEW thread:

[GB] GH-122.2016 Revival PCB - Order Placed

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline elecplus

• Electronics Plus
« Reply #448 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 15:40:09 »
Actually, 122-key boards exist in many different switches, from rubber domes to Space Invaders to Cherry and buckling springs. I do have a couple of foldable 122-key boards, but they are rubber dome and not very good for typing. I also have buckling spring and Space Invaders in stock. Guess I will have to post them. The 3270 compatible boards are the nicest, since all of the alpha keys and the numpad work right out of the box with a PC. All you need is a PS/2 to USB adapter, or an Orihalcon cable, if you really want one. The Memorex Telex boards that are 122-keys are usually rubber dome or foam and foil, but they feel much better to type on than most rubber domes.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #449 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 17:36:41 »
The NMB Hi-Tek "Space Invaders" 122-key units have the clicky 2-eye blacks and are very nice.

The one I had, branded IOMEGA, was plug-and-play PS/2, as I remember. If you can live with the ISO-style Enter, that would be a very good choice.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28