Author Topic: Hi guys! Looking for some expertis regarding blue alps switches  (Read 2047 times)

Offline HaZe.eXe

• From A White To A Black Future
    • Project Bloodline. A Micro-ATX build (Sweclockers gallery)
Hi guys! Looking for some expertis regarding blue alps switches
« on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 06:35:43 »
Hi members on Geekhack!

I'm from cold Sweden and I've seen some of your awesome work! I got into the mechanical "modding world" quiet recently and need help to build a TKL keyboard out of this AWESOME switches that I've got.

The switches is called "complicated" blue alps and is mounted on the Rabbit 286 keyboard. Here's a video of my keyboard:

Clearly I can't use the keyboard as it is because of the connector and the case is missing some of it's plastic.

Got so many question so I hope someone could help me, because these switches deserves to be used again :) I don't even know if there's a pcb that supports these switches.

This is the type case that I would like to get, but I'm open for suggestion!

Link: http://dangwang.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_0459.jpg

Thanks in advance!

//HaZe.eXe
I got to do something with my blue Alps switches..

I've seen some sick keyboard mods coming from this site. That's why I'm here :)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Hi guys! Looking for some expertis regarding blue alps switches
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:33:16 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Your best bet for a really solid TKL Alps board would be a Kingsaver. One sold on eBay a few months ago with an acrylic case similar to the one you linked, but that's the only acrylic cased Kingsaver I've ever seen.

Elton has some Kingsaver kits for sale here. These have an aluminum case. You would have to solder in the switches and find some keycaps. The ideal keycap donor board is a Wang 724.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 06:46:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

AT connector, right?  What about an AT to PS/2 adaptor, plus a PS/2 to USB adaptor?  Works if you do it right, my old AT NEC keyboard works well on my Mac!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HaZe.eXe

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 17:46:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Your best bet for a really solid TKL Alps board would be a Kingsaver. One sold on eBay a few months ago with an acrylic case similar to the one you linked, but that's the only acrylic cased Kingsaver I've ever seen.

Elton has some Kingsaver kits for sale here. These have an aluminum case. You would have to solder in the switches and find some keycaps. The ideal keycap donor board is a Wang 724.

Thank you!

So it's the Kingsaver my only option or  my best? Seemed kinda expensive, for what I'm understand they've been used? Love to have one n ALU though...So I dont have to buy anything else (like a Teensy board) just keycaps? Thank u so much for the help!

Offline HaZe.eXe

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 18:22:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

AT connector, right?  What about an AT to PS/2 adaptor, plus a PS/2 to USB adaptor?  Works if you do it right, my old AT NEC keyboard works well on my Mac!

Thanks man,

Yes sir! 5-pin. I would probably have used that, if the case was intact. It's missing some of it's plastic so the plan right now is to solder the switches and put them into a new one.

Here's some (bad) picture of mine:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:05:33 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thank you!

So it's the Kingsaver my only option or  my best? Seemed kinda expensive, for what I'm understand they've been used? Love to have one n ALU though...So I dont have to buy anything else (like a Teensy board) just keycaps? Thank u so much for the help!

Well, they're technically "factory seconds" so they have some small dents and scratches, but mine came from that batch and I can only find one miniscule scratch on it. It might as well be brand new. That kit comes with everything you'll need except for switches (which you already have, of course), keycaps, and a mini USB cable.

The Filco Zero isn't quite as fancy as the Kingsaver but it's a very good option if you don't want to pay the premium for a Kingsaver. The only problem is that it's no longer in production, so you'll likely have trouble finding one. They came stock with white alps clones, so you would again have to solder in your own switches.

The Ducky DK1087 is the only other option I can think of. I've heard that the build quality is pretty bad all around, and it's been out of stock everywhere for quite a while, so finding one may be difficult (though not as difficult as finding a Filco Zero).

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 21:21:58 »
Have you thought about seeing if you could commission someone to design a case in that design for you, then cut it locally?  It's a pretty simple case and I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to design a case for that keyboard as long as you gave good measurements.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 23:38:41 »
Have you thought about seeing if you could commission someone to design a case in that design for you, then cut it locally?  It's a pretty simple case and I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to design a case for that keyboard as long as you gave good measurements.

I hadn't thought of that, that's certainly something to consider.

The only problem is that elton said he won't sell the PCB/plate seperately, so you would either have to find someone willing to sell just their plate and PCB or find someone who wants to buy the case.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 23:40:23 by ComradeSniper »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 00:15:34 »

The only problem is that elton said he won't sell the PCB/plate seperately, so you would either have to find someone willing to sell just their plate and PCB or find someone who wants to buy the case.

I was actually talking about the keyboard they have already.  Just use an AT converter and get a custom acrylic case for it.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 00:19:25 »

I was actually talking about the keyboard they have already.  Just use an AT converter and get a custom acrylic case for it.

Ohhhhh okay. This could work too.