Author Topic: dealers in NYC?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline TopreFan333

dealers in NYC?
« on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 15:28:12 »
New member here — still typing on the keyboard that came with my Mac. :eek:

It's great reading all these reviews and all but really I want to TRY a good high-end keyboard or three. Anybody know a place in NYC I could do that? Thanks!

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: dealers in NYC?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 15:30:10 »
Razer products (and possibly the Logitech mech keyboard) can be found at most Bestbuys (and B&H).
Microcenter should have some Steelseries keyboards, and possibly the latest DAS.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline kalrand

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 15:40:57 »
still typing on the keyboard that came with my Mac. :eek:

Don't knock those apple keyboard. Apple's scissor keys on the laptops have been decent, and when they do rubber domes, they do a pretty good job (though they're still just domes).

It's just the scissor keys on the desktop keyboards that I don't like.
My 122 key Model M was born on July 25th, 1988.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:01:54 »
Don't knock those apple keyboard. Apple's scissor keys on the laptops have been decent, and when they do rubber domes, they do a pretty good job (though they're still just domes).

It's just the scissor keys on the desktop keyboards that I don't like.

Yeah, I actually don't hate the Apple keyboards I use (especially since I run Keyclick (http://www.sustworks.com/site/prod_keyclick_overview.html) for audio feedback). But at the same time I'd like to see for myself what the fuss is about, given what a robust forum this is and how psyched people get for these high-end mechanical keyboards.

Offline kalrand

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:11:22 »
I'm becoming a believer in the power of Buckling Spring. Have you looked into a Unicomp with an Apple keyset?

It feels just like those old IMB keyboards that go cha-chunk when you press them. Because they're just modern versions of the same keyboard.

It's not sexy. It's not sleek, there's no neon or leds, but it is pretty awesome to type on. Assuming no one else is next to you listening.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:56:59 »
Well, I do have an old Apple Extended Keyboard II sitting in my closet, which I got with a long-dead Mac SE back in the day but is still with me somehow. The only reason I don't use it more is that it's the size of an aircraft carrier and takes up my entire desk practially, and requires an annoying USB to ADB adapter which glitches occasionally.

What I'd love is a compact, attractive keyboard with something like that feel. The tiny Happy Hacking keyboards I'm seeing online are very attractive in terms of compactness — but I don't think I'm willing to part with $300 for the pro model. Is the Lite model a big step down?

Again, I really just wanna try out some of these things to see what I'd be getting into. If I tried and *loved* a really expensive keyboard I could probably talk myself into dropping the cash, but just ordering something blindly on the internet is a bit harder.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:59:26 »
I am not from NYC, or even the US, but I think the B&H store there has some keyboards you can try.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 17:38:02 »
I am not from NYC, or even the US, but I think the B&H store there has some keyboards you can try.

it doesn't
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 17:39:34 »
dealers in NYC?  I dunno, I haven't called a dealer since back in day, when they still used beepers.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 21:20:59 »
Had to do a double take when I saw that topic name
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:01:37 »
Had to do a double take when I saw that topic name
Me 2 haha

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:56:18 »
Microcenter and BestBuy usually has a few keyboards.

However, most reputable retailers have 30 day return periods. If you don't mind return shipping, you could always get a keyboard, test out the feels, and return it if you don't like it. Otherwise a switch tester works too.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 02:00:07 »
Why don’t you just try to find a geekhacker or two in NYC who you can visit or meet up with?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 12:04:13 »
im always open to that but I've been real busy the past few days

and letting people with under a few thousand posts into my house makes me nervous
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 12:17:10 »

and letting people with under a few thousand posts into my house makes me nervous
Totally understand. I usually use Craigslist when I need to murder but yeah, I feel ya.

Offline kalrand

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 12:21:36 »

I'd be more scared of someone with a few thousands posts about keyboards...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:22:33 »
they're more flaky than scary

Offline salcan

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 15:02:14 »

I'd be more scared of someone with a few thousands posts about keyboards...

ha.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:13:26 »

Should we be offended :/

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:20:06 »

It's great reading all these reviews and all but really I want to TRY a good high-end keyboard or three. Anybody know a place in NYC I could do that? Thanks!

The Yonkers branch of Microcenter usually has a number of Ducky's -- black, brown, blue and red switches.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&N=4294966865+4294915247+4294928241&cat=0001%3C%3E%3C%3EMechanical-%3a-Ducky-%3a-Gaming-Keyboards-%3a-Keyboards-%3a-Keyboards%2c-Mice-%26-Tablets-%3a-Computer-Parts-%3a-Micro-Center
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:22:32 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Gh05tx

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:12:54 »

The Yonkers branch of Microcenter usually has a number of Ducky's -- black, brown, blue and red switches.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&N=4294966865+4294915247+4294928241&cat=0001%3C%3E%3C%3EMechanical-%3a-Ducky-%3a-Gaming-Keyboards-%3a-Keyboards-%3a-Keyboards%2c-Mice-%26-Tablets-%3a-Computer-Parts-%3a-Micro-Center

I was at the microcenter in brooklyn last weekend, they also had some duckys didnt bother to check what switches they had.