Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2!!  (Read 3825 times)

Offline SwissFTW

HHKB Pro 2!!
« on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:17:04 »
So I just received my HHKB Pro 2 in the mail and wanted to share my excitement!!! Recently a friend (wiredPANDA) took the plunge on one and has sworn by topres ever since so I decided I would as well and I've got to admit that this board feels damn sexy to type on. I was very hesitant about topres at first as I was very happy with my MX browns, but wow... DEM TOPRES. The layout is pretty sweet as well. I was using a KBT Pure for my daily driver so I knew I liked the 60% form factor, but this layout definitely feels more natural than the pure to me.

Now I get to cry while I look around for custom topre keysets (REALFORCE - Y U NO MAKE ANYMORE KEYS!?). Maybe I'll start out with the white HHKB key set.... hrmm...

WhiteFox  | HHKB Pro 2 | KBT Pure MX Browns | CM Storm MX Browns | Ducky YOTD MX Browns | Ducky Shine II MX Browns
    TrueFox

Offline jameslr

Re: HHKB Pro 2!!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:20:13 »
So I just received my HHKB Pro 2 in the mail and wanted to share my excitement!!! Recently a friend (wiredPANDA) took the plunge on one and has sworn by topres ever since so I decided I would as well and I've got to admit that this board feels damn sexy to type on. I was very hesitant about topres at first as I was very happy with my MX browns, but wow... DEM TOPRES. The layout is pretty sweet as well. I was using a KBT Pure for my daily driver so I knew I liked the 60% form factor, but this layout definitely feels more natural than the pure to me.

Now I get to cry while I look around for custom topre keysets (REALFORCE - Y U NO MAKE ANYMORE KEYS!?). Maybe I'll start out with the white HHKB key set.... hrmm...

Grats! I think you'll thoroghly enjoy it and welcome to the family! :)

P.S. I was the one that sold wiredPANDA his HHKB. Glad he likes it :)
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:24:28 »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS  :thumb:

Offline SwissFTW

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:30:44 »

Grats! I think you'll thoroghly enjoy it and welcome to the family! :)

P.S. I was the one that sold wiredPANDA his HHKB. Glad he likes it :)
Heh.. Thanks. And yea... wiredPANDA loves the board and now I understand why :)

WhiteFox  | HHKB Pro 2 | KBT Pure MX Browns | CM Storm MX Browns | Ducky YOTD MX Browns | Ducky Shine II MX Browns
    TrueFox

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 04:12:14 »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS  :thumb:
chill man
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 04:27:38 »

Sacrilege! Pure is awesome!

I always considered the Pure layout to be the best 60%. How do you find using the Fn layer for text editing? This is the area I think the Pure layout has a big advantage over HHKB (inverted T arrows, Home and End close to the arrows, being able to hold shift with the right pinkie for one-handed editing, etc.), but I would love to hear from someone who has tried both.

And you can get a few Topre caps from here (Esc and Control, lavendar WASD, extra spacebars, stock HHKB sets):https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys

You can get Clacks for the rest of the keys then. Cheapest way, really.  :p

Well... there are also a few options from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-108-key-set-white-Topre-REALFORCE-key-cap-array-SA0100-KT1-From-Japan-/281355478558?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item418217e61e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-108-key-set-Red-Topre-REALFORCE108KT3-Realforce-SA0100-KT3-From-Japan-/281388796049?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4184144891
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REALFORCE-Key-Cap-Set-For-Realforce-87-104-Keyboard-Topre-English-Blue-Keycap-/281405936880?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418519d4f0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REALFORCE-Key-Cap-Set-For-Realforce-87-104-Keyboard-Topre-English-White-Keycap-/271564059317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3a7ab2b5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REALFORCE-Key-Cap-Set-for-Realforce-87-104-Keyboard-Topre-English-Yellow-Keycap-/281400443484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4184c6025c

But they're still not cheap.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SwissFTW

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 08:57:50 »

Sacrilege! Pure is awesome!

I always considered the Pure layout to be the best 60%. How do you find using the Fn layer for text editing? This is the area I think the Pure layout has a big advantage over HHKB (inverted T arrows, Home and End close to the arrows, being able to hold shift with the right pinkie for one-handed editing, etc.), but I would love to hear from someone who has tried both.

And you can get a few Topre caps from here (Esc and Control, lavendar WASD, extra spacebars, stock HHKB sets):https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys

You can get Clacks for the rest of the keys then. Cheapest way, really.  :p

Well... there are also a few options from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-108-key-set-white-Topre-REALFORCE-key-cap-array-SA0100-KT1-From-Japan-/281355478558?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item418217e61e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-108-key-set-Red-Topre-REALFORCE108KT3-Realforce-SA0100-KT3-From-Japan-/281388796049?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4184144891
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REALFORCE-Key-Cap-Set-For-Realforce-87-104-Keyboard-Topre-English-Blue-Keycap-/281405936880?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418519d4f0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REALFORCE-Key-Cap-Set-For-Realforce-87-104-Keyboard-Topre-English-White-Keycap-/271564059317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3a7ab2b5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REALFORCE-Key-Cap-Set-for-Realforce-87-104-Keyboard-Topre-English-Yellow-Keycap-/281400443484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4184c6025c

But they're still not cheap.

Haven't done much text editing yet, but I should next week and I'll report back. I will admit the arrow placement in the FN layer is a little strange to me right now. Hopefully that will work itself out with muscle memory.

And yea - I saw those sets on ebay. I actually like a few of those if they weren't so expensive. Is the best way to get Clacks these days still from Classifieds? I was looking into BroBots as well, but it seems like most of the artisan caps are for trades which I don't have much for trades unfortunately... :(

TrueFox

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 15:37:45 »
Congrats on your switch to HHKB, I also came from MX Brown and ever since I got my HHKB its Topre or Die for me :)

Offline SwissFTW

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 15:40:48 »
Congrats on your switch to HHKB, I also came from MX Brown and ever since I got my HHKB its Topre or Die for me :)

Yea man - this has been great so far. I've noticed that I am finding excuses to type something now. :D

TrueFox

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 16:03:22 »

I sold mine a week after having it, rofl. reds > topre
你搞砸了

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 03:45:53 »
Yup.. hhkb is way overrated...

it's {cute}... i suppose...   so if you're into collecting small things that are cumbersome to use.. well.. then HHKB is for you.

Offline osi

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:49:45 »

it's {cute}... i suppose...   so if you're into collecting small things that are cumbersome to use.. well.. then HHKB is for you.

How is it small and cumbersome at the same time? ??

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 14:41:13 »

How is it small and cumbersome at the same time? ??

cumbersome - to - use

Offline cheesedgrate

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 15:25:47 »
The haters really came from the woodwork in this thread. Wow.

Anyways man, enjoy your HHKB. I've had mine for around 4 months now and I still absolutely love it. I originally bought it for work but now I'm considering buying a Type-S for work and retiring my original one to home. It's just so good.

Offline ajx

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 15:50:11 »

Could you explain specifically why red > topre?
Nice to hear any opinion about this

Offline Gh05tx

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 16:15:39 »

Probably just user preference.  I like clears more than I like the type s

Offline ajx

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 18:19:50 »
its all about personal preference when it comes to the mechanical keyboard, doesn't it?  :p
but still nice to hear either bad or good experience about Topre because
1) i personally never a chance to test or own it.
2) its still in the minority of mechanical world in comparison of MX Cherry switch
3) i currently use MX-Cherry, i am not satisfied at 100% to be truly honest but it has still my favor :neither of black/brown/blue would be as good as red.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 18:33:16 »

because he's weak
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Gh05tx

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 19:16:39 »
its all about personal preference when it comes to the mechanical keyboard, doesn't it?  :p
but still nice to hear either bad or good experience about Topre because
1) i personally never a chance to test or own it.
2) its still in the minority of mechanical world in comparison of MX Cherry switch
3) i currently use MX-Cherry, i am not satisfied at 100% to be truly honest but it has still my favor :neither of black/brown/blue would be as good as red.

Maybe you should try to wait for the novatouch to be in stores and give it a try then.

because he's weak

Ive never tried reds before but topre are pretty light

Offline ajx

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 20:26:29 »
Will try it in near future for sure.
I was thinking about getting HHKB but i know people who been literrally fond of HHKB and even admit its layout is perfect
HHKB layout looks very odd!
This Novatouch layout has basic layout which is good in my opinion

Offline Gh05tx

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 20:39:35 »
I definitely do like the layout of the hhkb, most of the missing keys I don't really use anyway

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 22:18:51 »
hhkb supreme layout.

if only it came in 55g :(

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 03:41:48 »
hhkb supreme layout.

And with a better Fn layout for text editing. Those are the 2 biggest factors preventing me from getting one. They can both be overcome by buying a Realforce 55g and swapping the domes and replacing the controller, but then the overall cost shoots up to a rather ridiculous figure.

Oh, and then you have the lack of aftermarket keycaps to contend with. I'd rather use MX switches with the right weighting, decent layout, great text editing Fn layer and massive aftermarket caps compatibility (KBT Pure with 62g ErgoClears).

Or even better, the custom I will make when my GON NerD60 PCB arrives. Then I can try the HHKB layout with all the other custom MX advantages.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 09:38:25 »
I am not a h8er...

There is absolutely no reason in this day and age to use a keyboard that's one piece... when you don't have to...

Even an el'cheapo split rubber dome/ scissor board is better than stock rectangles...

Get with the times peeps..\

EGDX  4-Lyfe

Offline SwissFTW

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 09:55:33 »
I am not a h8er...

There is absolutely no reason in this day and age to use a keyboard that's one piece... when you don't have to...

Even an el'cheapo split rubber dome/ scissor board is better than stock rectangles...

Get with the times peeps..\

EGDX  4-Lyfe
Lol wat...

I tried my friend's dox last year and that board(s) is definitely not for me. :(

I think the primary issue with the HHKB is the lack of custom keys (as Oobly stated above) which is just topres in general, but I'm ok with that for now since the base keys are high quality PBTs.

TrueFox

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 13:51:20 »
hhkb supreme layout.

And with a better Fn layout for text editing. Those are the 2 biggest factors preventing me from getting one. They can both be overcome by buying a Realforce 55g and swapping the domes and replacing the controller, but then the overall cost shoots up to a rather ridiculous figure.

Oh, and then you have the lack of aftermarket keycaps to contend with. I'd rather use MX switches with the right weighting, decent layout, great text editing Fn layer and massive aftermarket caps compatibility (KBT Pure with 62g ErgoClears).

Or even better, the custom I will make when my GON NerD60 PCB arrives. Then I can try the HHKB layout with all the other custom MX advantages.

agreed on the first part.

don't really care for swapping keycaps so that's not high on my list (or at all). but 55g is my no. 1 want to make the HHKB perfect

Offline Gaahl

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 11:19:28 »
Nice, I have a fc660c which is basically the same thing and I love mine.
Poker II MX Clears
Leopold fc660c

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:31:51 »

I don't really want to get into some kind of topre vs cherry war or whatever, so I'll try and stay as neutral as possible.

Well the thing is, even though I do enjoy this keyboard very, very much, I sometimes do not enjoy the Topre keys. This is mainly from a gaming standpoint though and not from an overall use/typing standpoint. This keyboard just like MX Blacks, Blues, Browns and Greens 'can' be used for gaming, but that is not to mean that it is beneficial for gaming, for example, if you use this or any other 60% board you're going to have a very hard time on RTS games because of the limited keys. (I guess this is where re-binding keys comes into play?)From my personal experience with Reds, I do not feel finger fatigue half as much as I do on Topre, maybe this is because I'm still not 100% used to the Topre switch and maybe I need my fingers to get used to it over time, but for example. I'm a pretty avid League of Legends player and on Reds when playing people like Udyr and LeBlanc etc, I would be used to tapping the keys over and over again to get off my skills, but if I do that on Topre, I get finger fatigue a lot quicker.

Taken directly from my review, but to summarise.

• Finger fatigue over time
  • Not a gaming switch
  • Feel heavier than the 45g they are advertised as
  • Unable to do rapid key presses like you are able to do on reds, e.g. bad for fps/mobas
But this is just my personal opinion, I'm a long time reds user and maybe i'm being biased? iuno. ._.

because he's weak

Because I'm weak? Oh grow up you child, can't take friendly criticism surrounding your 'elitist' keyboard, rofl.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:34:05 by Fragil1ty »
你搞砸了

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:34:43 »
"not a gaming switch"

wtf is a gaming switch?

and that was a joke, don't really care what people use.

Offline SwissFTW

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:58:27 »
Alright - I didn't intend for this thread to turn into a switch v switch war. I just wanted to share my excitement about another addition to my keyboard family. I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread for the greater good. Thanks for all the comments / feedback. I think that we can all agree that mech keyberbs is 4 life!

TrueFox