Author Topic: Why the hate for Ripster?  (Read 5889 times)

Offline Palmod51

Why the hate for Ripster?
« on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:12:43 »
I know he was a bit of a troll, but his keyboard science series seems really informative.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Why the hate for Ripster?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:13:26 »
Seriously? This is like the 3rd or 4th one of these....geez......

You might find this thread useful...http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62050.0

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:19:27 »
There's no hate here. Ripster got himself banned a few years back. Lots drama, but it's long since been over.

Unfortunately, he seems to direct a lot of negativity towards GeekHack for some weird reason.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:36:10 »
Thread to be locked in 3...2...1...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:36:55 »
There's no hate here. Ripster got himself banned a few years back. Lots drama, but it's long since been over.

Unfortunately, he seems to direct a lot of negativity towards GeekHack for some weird reason.

Geekhack? Don't you mean... GeekWhack?
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:47:04 »
I know he was a bit of a troll, but his keyboard science series seems really informative.
No one hates Ripster. But he’s a troll, as you mention, and a huge drama queen, and everyone’s better off if he stays in his own little playground.

His keyboard science series is a mix of useful and misleading. Everyone here knows where to find his stuff if they want to.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:48:52 by jacobolus »

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:48:22 »
Thread to be locked in 3...2...1...

:thumb:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 00:47:07 »
Inb4lock :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 00:48:33 »
No one hates Ripster. But he’s a troll, as you mention, and a huge drama queen, and everyone’s better off if he stays in his own little playground.

His keyboard science series is a mix of useful and misleading. Everyone here knows where to find his stuff if they want to.

You forgot egotist and self declared master of the keyboard universe...even though he's frequently wrong and often engages in "science" instead of science.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 00:50:22 »
He's a total hypocrite, calls this place geekwhack every chance he gets but doesn't have any problems linking to the content here.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 07:17:58 »
I think ripster just posts these threads when he runs out of stuff to talk about.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 08:21:29 »
having spent some time on /r/MK, i find his behavior rather annoying in a childish way, even if some of his content is undeniably useful

I think ripster just posts these threads when he runs out of stuff to talk about.

"Date Registered:
    Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:10:00"

probably

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 09:02:32 »
Why the threads for why the hate for ripster?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:47:50 »
Why the threads for why the hate for ripster?

Due to the fact that Ripster has so much vitriol towards GeekHack, I think most people who don't know the story assume that the feeling must be mutual. In other words, Ripster hates GH, so GH must hate Ripster.

IMHO, I haven't seen any hatred of Ripster from GH, only frustration over having to tell the same story over-and-over.

Ripster trolled GH until he was banned. The community moved on, Ripster didn't. End of story.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:51:09 »
When he was around I was annoyed by him many, many times but just shrugged it off. He can't do that.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 14:38:23 »
Yes, Ripster trolled around just like many others do. He was also extremely helpful (unlike most trolls.)

One thing that gets left out when talking about Ripster, and I can only assume this is because many of you commenting became members after this site was "sterilized" of everything Ripster, is how he was the single biggest contributor of useful information on this site and this site's Wiki. It's been just under 2 years since the cleansing and the useful content is nowhere near what it once was.

He obviously pissed off the wrong person around here and got what he deserved, I'm sure.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 18:44:51 »
WHO WANTS A BODY MASSAGE??

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 18:52:11 »
OOO! ME!
Hi :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 20:22:01 »
Intwiceb4lock :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:31:33 »

it is. that's why they tried to steal it while he was banned and couldn't do anything about it.

then people ask why ripster hates GH. ****, i'd hate this place too if it tried to **** me behind my back.

but this doesn't belong here, next time put this in the off topic section.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:33:21 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline captain

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:39:36 »
I miss the old coot!  :-p
I think he was misunderstood.  Those in charge couldn't handle his abrasiveness. His were not the only posts "sterilized" from geekhack. C'est la vie....
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:43:56 by captain »
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 06:26:10 »

it is. that's why they tried to steal it while he was banned and couldn't do anything about it.

then people ask why ripster hates GH. ****, i'd hate this place too if it tried to **** me behind my back.

but this doesn't belong here, next time put this in the off topic section.

That doesn't sound like the actions of a website, or a forum, that sounds like the actions of people. Labelling a large group for the actions of a few is a popular thing in history, but seldom justifiable. It is fashionable to choose a large organic enemy though, the underdog is such a classic role to play. I shall set it up so that I hear the darth vader theme whenever I open GH, just to add to the melodrama.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues