Author Topic: got my gmk rgby from originative today and it wasn't pleasant  (Read 7798 times)

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
got my gmk rgby from originative today and it wasn't pleasant
« on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:14:58 »
not sure if defect or courier's problem :(

pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/iWyfd

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: got my gmk rgby from originative today and it wasn't pleasant
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:16:28 »
Ummm... what did the packaging look like? I'm not familiar w/ Originative's.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:18:04 »
What the... THey are all messed up..

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:18:24 »
Courier error no doubt.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline ebacho

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:18:29 »

Everything I've got from them is a normal bubble mailer.  Looks like something heavy got dropped on it, not sure if I would fault Originative for that.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:20:51 »
That sucks.  Does it look like it was damaged during shipping, or is the packaging fine?  When I ordered a full keyset from them a few months ago, it was shipped in a box.

But anyways, hopefully they are responsive nowadays and will help you out.  Good luck!

a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:21:11 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:21:33 »
looks like a problem in shipping. Sherry is good about packaging most of the time.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:23:00 »
Yeah... definitely courier with that bubble mailer. Was there an option for box shipping? Or they don't do that with small sets?

You can always at least try to plead your case with Originative. Considering they aren't very responsive to original orders (from what I hear), it might be a hard sell on a replacement due to damage out of their hands.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:26:09 »
What the... THey are all messed up..

I know right? :( the minor defects is forgivable cause it might be GMK? especially the ones with the little dents on the side of shifts

Courier error no doubt.

damn courier. hopefully there will be replacement or RMA or some sort

That sucks.  Does it look like it was damaged during shipping, or is the packaging fine?  When I ordered a full keyset from them a few months ago, it was shipped in a box.

But anyways, hopefully they are responsive nowadays and will help you out.  Good luck!

i've got my sanctuary in a box and it's fine too! they're in a holiday according to their newsletter. :< nevermind email sent

looks like a problem in shipping. Sherry is good about packaging most of the time.

i've to admit the keyset packaging is okay. why am i so unlucky this time :(

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 16:14:56 »
Did they all come packed in one plastic bag?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 16:23:05 »
50 bucks you're paying, and he couldn't put that **** in a box?
The more I hear about Originative, the mored shocked I am that people still willingly do business with them...
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 16:46:30 »
The more I hear about Originative, the mored shocked I am that people still willingly do business with them...
It's done to save the customer money. You'd have to pay more shipping if he used a box. You'd have to pay a _lot_ more if you're an international customer.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 17:36:16 »
It's done to save the customer money. You'd have to pay more shipping if he used a box. You'd have to pay a _lot_ more if you're an international customer.

Honestly for just a few key caps the price shouldn't be affected at all if a small box was used. This is from my experience shipping key caps internationally in a small box versus in a bubble mailer.

Don't know how much shipping was charged but I would say ~$10 or slightly less would have covered it USPS first class international.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 August 2014, 17:50:29 by SpAmRaY »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 17:40:14 »

Honestly for just a few key caps the price shouldn't be affected at all if a small box was used. This is from my experience shipping key caps I'm a small box versus in a bubble mailer.

Don't know how much shipping was charged but I would say ~$10 or slightly less would have covered it USPS first class.
Around $2-3 for a tracked bubble mailer, flat $5.80 online rate for small boxes, a very small difference
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 17:42:23 »

Honestly for just a few key caps the price shouldn't be affected at all if a small box was used. This is from my experience shipping key caps I'm a small box versus in a bubble mailer.

Don't know how much shipping was charged but I would say ~$10 or slightly less would have covered it USPS first class.
Around $2-3 for a tracked bubble mailer, flat $5.80 online rate for small boxes, a very small difference

For international? Looks like a customs form on the mailer.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 17:46:19 »

For international? Looks like a customs form on the mailer.
yep, sorry, didn't see that. Big difference there. Like $2.50 vs $20
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 18:29:42 »
Looks like the keys were all bundled together in one plastic bag, and something heavy bumped/crushed it. That's why you can see green on the yellow windows key, along with the dents under the green shift. :/
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 21:29:15 »
That really sucks =(
It's a shame the price changes so much...
Difference in price from light packet to small packet is already a decent amount =S

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:14:29 »
Yeah... definitely courier with that bubble mailer. Was there an option for box shipping? Or they don't do that with small sets?

You can always at least try to plead your case with Originative. Considering they aren't very responsive to original orders (from what I hear), it might be a hard sell on a replacement due to damage out of their hands.

I wouldn't call that damage out of their hands.  That's clearly damage due to insufficient packaging.  I don't like to ship caps in bubble mailers due to paranoia about what happened to OP. I use boxes and bubble mailers.

Sherry really should replace it, but we'll see if he does.

I ship in boxes instead of bubble mailers.  The shipping cost is the same as with bubble mailers.  Very rarely does it pop me into the next price category.  It's always the same USPS First Class price.  The box is marginally more expensive per unit once you factor in buying the boxes and bubble wrap to properly package, but it's such a tiny difference in price that it easily pays for itself with regards to not having to replace units damaged in transit.  Honestly, if something is damaged in a bubble mailer, I blame the shipper.  If something is damaged in a box, I blame the shipping company.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:34:31 »

Sherry really should replace it, but we'll see if he does.

HOHOHOHO  :eek:
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:50:53 »
I don't see why Sherry should have to eat the cost here. Would be nice of him but sounds like a case needs to be brought up with USPS. Don't they have $50 of insurance with most stuff now.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:57:05 »
I don't see why Sherry should have to eat the cost here. Would be nice of him but sounds like a case needs to be brought up with USPS. Don't they have $50 of insurance with most stuff now.

Insurance has to be bought on First Class shipping and is included to a certain dollar amount in Priority Mail.

If he didn't insure it, he should eat the cost since it wasn't packaged well enough.  It's up to the shipper to properly package a product for shipment.  Bubble mailers have never proper packaging for key caps.  They do an adequate job and usually work out fine, but they are never guaranteed to let the caps survive undamaged.  I've seen enough people get damaged caps from bubble mailers that I'm at that point where I say that caps should always be sent in a box.  There is no excuse to send in a bubble mailer when the cost is virtually the same.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:03:17 »

Insurance has to be bought on First Class shipping and is included to a certain dollar amount in Priority Mail.

If he didn't insure it, he should eat the cost since it wasn't packaged well enough.  It's up to the shipper to properly package a product for shipment.  Bubble mailers have never proper packaging for key caps.  They do an adequate job and usually work out fine, but they are never guaranteed to let the caps survive undamaged.  I've seen enough people get damaged caps from bubble mailers that I'm at that point where I say that caps should always be sent in a box.  There is no excuse to send in a bubble mailer when the cost is virtually the same.
I don't really agree with that. Well at least not for stuff in the US. I would spend the extra couple bucks for a flat rate. But some people want it as cheap as they can. If they select first class its most likely a bubble mailer. Not that long ago many group buys used them. I haven't been involved in any for a long time so who knows now. My .02

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:06:56 »
I don't really agree with that. Well at least not for stuff in the US. I would spend the extra couple bucks for a flat rate. But some people want it as cheap as they can. If they select first class its most likely a bubble mailer. Not that long ago many group buys used them. I haven't been involved in any for a long time so who knows now. My .02

As I already said, the cost of a bubble mailer vs. the cost of shipping in a box is negligible.  You can buy boxes and bubble wrap or even re-use bubble wrap and you're spending all of $0.10-0.25 more per package than a bubble mailer.  When I ran my GB, I upgraded everyone to boxes instead of the originally planned bubble mailers since the weight ended up being the same (or damn close) and the cost difference was marginal.

My point is that there is no excuse to ship caps in a bubble mailer, not when you're charging as much as he is for the caps and shipping.  If you cannot properly package the caps in a way that would protect them and you do not purchase insurance, you should be held responsible to give a refund or replace them.

The only time I've seen bubble mailers sufficient for caps is when they're laid out flat, sandwiched between cardboard and taped like that, then placed in the bubble mailer.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:08:58 by nubbinator »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:07:41 »
Bubble mailers are fine but you have to make sure the caps are all layed out flat and not stacking up on each other. If they get all jumbled up they dent each other when they get crushed.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:08:07 »

As I already said, the cost of a bubble mailer vs. the cost of shipping in a box is negligible.  You can buy boxes and bubble wrap or even re-use bubble wrap and you're spending all of $0.10-0.25 more per package than a bubble mailer.

My point is that there is no excuse to ship caps in a bubble mailer, not when you're charging as much as he is for the caps and shipping.  If you cannot properly package the caps in a way that would protect them and you do not purchase insurance, you should be held responsible to give a refund or replace them.
Do you have a link to boxes that cost the same as bubble mailers? I always thought they were like x4 the price.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:10:59 »
Here's just one of many.  Boxes can be more expensive, especially if you're just buying one or buying from your local post office; however, buy a bundle of them off of Amazon or a shipping store, and the price is pretty much the same.

Here's another super cheap one. Don't know about the quality of those, but they're cheap.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:13:18 by nubbinator »

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:17:37 »
US people get free priority boxes, so they only have to pay for bubble wrap... Shipping priority flat rate boxes become a lot more expensive if you send it internationally however. You can wrap the priority box in a black plastic shipping flyer and place a first class label on it.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:22:19 »
Here's just one of many.  Boxes can be more expensive, especially if you're just buying one or buying from your local post office; however, buy a bundle of them off of Amazon or a shipping store, and the price is pretty much the same.

Here's another super cheap one. Don't know about the quality of those, but they're cheap.
Yeah your right I was basing my numbers off the one time I looked at the post office they were like 3.95. Probably more expensive than priority after postage. Yeah I'm crazy no reason to use a bubble Mailer. Sucks with international though. But I'm super cheap. I've used small flat rate boxes. Just wrapped them in paper

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 07:03:01 »

The $50 baked in insurance is on Priority only, iirc.

Lesson here to both sherry and the buyer is to go with the box, unless you are shipping locally (within country in the instance), you can get away with this...

The only time I've seen bubble mailers sufficient for caps is when they're laid out flat, sandwiched between cardboard and taped like that, then placed in the bubble mailer.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 07:46:57 »
I got mine in the same package and nothing was damaged. Sucks USPS wrecked your stuff.

I do find it funny that some people cry about $2 extra for GB packing until Sherry doesn't do it... Then it's
time to crucify him cause he ruined those keys. lol
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Belfong

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 08:55:45 »
I had a Gasmask cap visor damaged due to being put in a bubble mailer. I get really nervous when artisan caps are shipped via bubble mailer (eg CC shipped skulls in bubble mailer!), so I rather pay slightly higher for box. USPS shipped first class international in a box for $12, that's what's Bro Caps did.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 10:01:33 »
I had a Gasmask cap visor damaged due to being put in a bubble mailer. I get really nervous when artisan caps are shipped via bubble mailer (eg CC shipped skulls in bubble mailer!), so I rather pay slightly higher for box. USPS shipped first class international in a box for $12, that's what's Bro Caps did.

Damn... I'm getting really nervous about the gasmask on its way to my house now >.<

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 10:37:52 »
I ordered a set of blank pbt rgb mods from originative a couple days ago, not sure when they are going to ship out but hopefully they don't turn up like this lol

Whenever I use a bubble mailer I always make sure to wrap the contents of the package in more bubble wrap, so even if it is stepped on, it probably won't damage the contents.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 11:24:54 »
The simple fix is the lay the keys out flat on a piece of plastic food wrap and then roll them twice.
They won't jumble in shipping, they are individually wrapped by the plastic so they won't bump each other.
Stick em in a zip-lock and then in a bubble mailer after that and you're gold. Anything more than $50 should probably be in a box though.

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 11:28:49 »
The simple fix is the lay the keys out flat on a piece of plastic food wrap and then roll them twice.
They won't jumble in shipping, they are individually wrapped by the plastic so they won't bump each other.
Stick em in a zip-lock and then in a bubble mailer after that and you're gold. Anything more than $50 should probably be in a box though.

it's not more than 50. oh why :(

well, the little dents are okay. just one of the long shifts with a terrible dent, the winkey with the green smudge and the cracked one is on top of the list.

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 11:38:04 »

it's not more than 50. oh why :(

well, the little dents are okay. just one of the long shifts with a terrible dent, the winkey with the green smudge and the cracked one is on top of the list.

I'm certain a little food wrap would have prevented all damage minus MAYBE the cracked win key. [It might have still saved that win key.]
It doesn't look professional, no, but a little plastic wrap goes a long way.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 00:25:47 »
That or even put two pieces of cardboard in there with the caps flat against them...

I think people need to keep in mind, this is buying from a business so he's making money off of them..he needs to protect himself and his buyers...

Offline SirPony

• EHHHH All Caps Come @ me
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 04:07:15 »
My RGBY arrived a few weeks ago from Sherry, ehh ill say they are in good shape. But I did use the 60$ international shipping option :confused:

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 04:55:11 »
My RGBY arrived a few weeks ago from Sherry, ehh ill say they are in good shape. But I did use the 60$ international shipping option :confused:

60$. that's like more than they caps already :( sigh. this is really ****ty for me

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:00:12 »
You shouldn't have to pay for those caps.
Either the mail or your CC or someone should pay for them.
You don't buy broken merchandise.
Paypal tells sellers to pack well and ship with tracking to protect themselves.
If worst comes to worse, you're probably within your rights to charge back if its less than 45-60 days.
I'd say find out if there was insurance on the shipment, else watch that countdown and get your cash.

Offline keyton

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 11:03:31 »
Good luck getting back money from shippers.