Author Topic: I need a little help with a CNC machine  (Read 4395 times)

Offline AGmurdercore

I need a little help with a CNC machine
« on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 05:57:26 »
Hello guys i really hope that this is the right place to post the thread.

So i have this one problem: A friend of mine got a CNC machine recently and we have problems connecting it to his PC. The control system is Weihong NK105 G2 - http://en.weihong.com.cn/products_detail/&productId=2a312ab8-8b7a-453f-b594-d34b148b3d1f.html

What we tried so far is direct usb-usb cable to the PC but there is no reaction in both devices. He is using windows XP on that one working PC.

The end goal is to elimionte the need of USB flash drive to trasfer the programs onto the CNC, but instead just start them from the PCs HDD.

IF anyone might have any idea how we can do it and what we are doign wrong i will be really thankful!
What the hell am I even doing

Offline AGmurdercore

Re: I need a little help with a CNC machine
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 08:15:01 »
No body here knows anything about CNCs?  :-[

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 23:39:00 »
You're probably better off asking that question on a machinist forum...
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 01:09:35 »
If you try in the “making stuff together” subforum you might get better results than the “other geeky stuff” subforum.

Also, you’ll probably get more useful advice if you provide substantially more context and information. Just saying “it doesn’t work” doesn’t give people much to go on.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 05:41:14 »
This is not a CNC specific question, but rather a Weihong NK105G2 specific question.

Answer: RTFM.

Find out what connection options and protocols it supports and then follow them.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 07:58:06 »
This is not a CNC specific question, but rather a Weihong NK105G2 specific question.

Find out what connection options and protocols it supports and then follow them.
I have read the manual tbh and there is nothing specific on that matter, that is why i decided to ask here.

The machine works just fine with usb flash, but connected to the PC with usb cable literally nothing happens, like it is not connected at all. Anyway thank you for the answers i assume that nobody here has any exp with this particular chines machine which is no surprise tbh.

Also excuse me is this is the wrong subforum :)

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 08:57:50 »
Wait... the flash drive works, but the PC acts like it isn't connected?

1) Try a different USB cable.

2) Try a different USB port on your computer.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 09:42:36 »

I have read the manual tbh and there is nothing specific on that matter, that is why i decided to ask here.

The machine works just fine with usb flash, but connected to the PC with usb cable literally nothing happens, like it is not connected at all. Anyway thank you for the answers i assume that nobody here has any exp with this particular chines machine which is no surprise tbh.

USB is a master / slave protocol. You can't connect 2 masters to each other and expect it to work. That's why USB cables don't look the same on both ends.

Plugging a USB memory stick into the computer, the computer is master, drive is slave and acts as a mass storage device. Same when you plug the memory stick into the CNC controller. If you want the CNC machine to see files on the PC you can't just hook it up with a USB cable, since the PC won't just act as a storage device. Mobile phones are a special case, they usually act as a slave when connected, but some have USB OTG which allows them to act as master so you can plug in a keyboard / mouse / memory stick, etc as slave.

Unless the NK105G2 has a USB-B socket, MiniUSB or MicroUSB I don't think you can hook it directly to a PC with USB. Are there any other ports on it?

You may just have to live with using a memory stick or other external storage and switching it between the PC and CNC to transfer the designs.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 10:04:51 »
USB is a master / slave protocol. You can't connect 2 masters to each other and expect it to work. That's why USB cables don't look the same on both ends.

There are "usb-like" devices (that absolutely don't conform to USB spec) that try to break that. You can get a cable to use USB to transfer files from one computer to another. We used to use it to get stuff off a macbook air.

I can call them up and ask what the name of it was if you like.

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:42:06 »

Plugging a USB memory stick into the computer, the computer is master, drive is slave and acts as a mass storage device. Same when you plug the memory stick into the CNC controller. If you want the CNC machine to see files on the PC you can't just hook it up with a USB cable, since the PC won't just act as a storage device. Mobile phones are a special case, they usually act as a slave when connected, but some have USB OTG which allows them to act as master so you can plug in a keyboard / mouse / memory stick, etc as slave.

Unless the NK105G2 has a USB-B socket, MiniUSB or MicroUSB I don't think you can hook it directly to a PC with USB. Are there any other ports on it?

You may just have to live with using a memory stick or other external storage and switching it between the PC and CNC to transfer the designs.
Well that is just the answer that i was hoping someone can give me. Great explanation, thank you for it, really!

There are "usb-like" devices (that absolutely don't conform to USB spec) that try to break that. You can get a cable to use USB to transfer files from one computer to another. We used to use it to get stuff off a macbook air.

I can call them up and ask what the name of it was if you like.
Please do it it is not a problem for you, big thanks :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 09:48:21 »

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 13:42:39 »