Author Topic: Asus ROG Swift, PG278Q Monitor  (Read 4820 times)

Offline skuko

Asus ROG Swift, PG278Q Monitor
« on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 02:52:02 »
2 words: BUY IT!

yes, it is expensive, but damn worth it in my book. g-sync with a 144Hz panel and 2560x1440 is a freakin game changer. :)

got mine yesterday and i am blown away. yes it's TN panel, but i can honestly say as a borderline IPS fanboy, this screen is awesome, colors for me are OK (not awesome, but perfectly usable) and the fluidity is just beyond anything i have ever seen on a computer screen.  :thumb:

any1 else got some impressions?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Asus ROG Swift, PG278Q Monitor
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 04:05:16 »
Yup. this is THE monitor to get... for ALL purposes

Lightboosting is god-tier

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~

Offline dmbr

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 09:57:49 »
I own a gsync modded Asus vg248qe, and yes, gsync is something I'll never be able to game without again.

Check this forum out:
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewforum.php?f=5

Some rather discouraging info about the ROG in the related threads, btw :(

Offline dmbr

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 09:58:31 »
Where did you buy yours, OP?

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 10:34:31 »
damn it, I was gonna try to postpone getting one of these... You guys make it sound to good to believe!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 10:34:50 »
I own a gsync modded Asus vg248qe, and yes, gsync is something I'll never be able to game without again.

Check this forum out:

how so?? elaborate??

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 10:47:28 »

Check this forum out:

how so?? elaborate??
Well, the whole CS:GO GSYNC higher input lag sucks and not having ulmb with GSYNC... Guess I'll be sticking to my BenQ for now.

Dat 2560x1440 doh!!!  :'(

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 11:26:21 »
I'm still torn between the ROG Swift PG278Q and the LG 34UM95.

Is gsync really that much better than increased screen real estate? I'm currently rocking a 2560x1440 setup.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline dmbr

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 16:55:05 »

Check this forum out:

how so?? elaborate??
sorry, was feeling lazy heh. Apparently the monitor has some issues with graphical artifacts. Sorry, but I'm not quite up for sifting through the threads, but if you're thinking of buying one I think you certainly should.

If you're asking about why I can't go without gsync anymore, the lack of microstutter is the big win, tearing never bothered me too much (certainly nice not to have though!).

The input lag issue happens with any and all games when fps meets or exceeds 144, sadly. I cap mine at 134 in TF2(double the game's tick rate) and don't really perceive the loss of refreshes, so no biggie.

ULMB is awesome, too. Way better than current Lightboost options; more blur reduction and much less washed out and dark. But I play games with fluctuating FPS so I go with gsync....quite a shame that it's one or the other :(

Would I prefer having gsync to having "more screen real estate"? Yes. A higher FOV would be nice for TF2 and similar shooters (what I have a fancy monitor for), but ultimately aim is more important and no microstutter/tearing helps that out nicely--plus it's just really pleasant to experience such smoothness.

If you're just a casual gamer though, play games that aren't motion-intensive, or not really a gamer at all, gsync is not the option for you.

« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:03:47 by dmbr »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 19:04:49 »

Check this forum out:

how so?? elaborate??
sorry, was feeling lazy heh. Apparently the monitor has some issues with graphical artifacts. Sorry, but I'm not quite up for sifting through the threads, but if you're thinking of buying one I think you certainly should.

If you're asking about why I can't go without gsync anymore, the lack of microstutter is the big win, tearing never bothered me too much (certainly nice not to have though!).

The input lag issue happens with any and all games when fps meets or exceeds 144, sadly. I cap mine at 134 in TF2(double the game's tick rate) and don't really perceive the loss of refreshes, so no biggie.

ULMB is awesome, too. Way better than current Lightboost options; more blur reduction and much less washed out and dark. But I play games with fluctuating FPS so I go with gsync....quite a shame that it's one or the other :(

Would I prefer having gsync to having "more screen real estate"? Yes. A higher FOV would be nice for TF2 and similar shooters (what I have a fancy monitor for), but ultimately aim is more important and no microstutter/tearing helps that out nicely--plus it's just really pleasant to experience such smoothness.

If you're just a casual gamer though, play games that aren't motion-intensive, or not really a gamer at all, gsync is not the option for you.

Oh N0s !   display artifacts....   are they OCing the drive chip to achieve 144hz on 25x14 ??

Damn you Asusss...  they fked me over on 2 laptops already.. :D

i'm still thinking of buying the monitor though.. I've been holding off since I don't have time to play with it right now.

But I'd really like to have it once movie season starts.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 19:15:22 »
Where did you get the monitor? I can't find it for sale anywhere

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 17:44:58 »
It does look good... It would be nice to have a high resolution rotating monitor at some stage. When I get my own place I am going to settle on two nice rotating monitors to flank a 4k main screen. Mmmm...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:29:13 »
Where did you get the monitor? I can't find it for sale anywhere

So far most people have just been camping TigerDirect
Will probably need to wait a month or two for more availability.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 08:03:16 »
I've seen (some where) that ASUS is working on fixing this monitor to use both... If this is true, this monitor will be the Alpha and Omega.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 09:47:36 »
I've seen (some where) that ASUS is working on fixing this monitor to use both... If this is true, this monitor will be the Alpha and Omega.

Carmac himself said this is not possible...    the reason being.. ulmb doesn't really work well for anything under 100hz..

and gsync, is only really useful for those frame dip moments <100 <60..

If you're above 100fps using ulmb.. there's no reason to use gsync.. you can just use vsync, and there wouldn't be much of a difference..

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 09:59:16 »

Carmac himself said this is not possible...    the reason being.. ulmb doesn't really work well for anything under 100hz..

and gsync, is only really useful for those frame dip moments <100 <60..

If you're above 100fps using ulmb.. there's no reason to use gsync.. you can just use vsync, and there wouldn't be much of a difference..
You know you're right.... I can maintain more than 144 fps at 2560x1440, so I could just use the ulmb on the monitor to enjoy blur free movement!

ok, I'm all over it! Now to find one in stock...  ^-^

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 16:09:16 »
What I want more than anything though, is 60fps movies... sigh...............