Author Topic: Question...  (Read 1921 times)

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
Question...
« on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 12:01:47 »

So I was looking aroung for programmable keyboards with Macro keys (I'm a designer by trade, and macro keys are a godsend for quick commands), and I came across this:

http://www.fentek-ind.com/program.htm#kblk1800

Basically, it's a 132-key programmable keyboard, but the description is a little vague as to the types of switches they use.

So, I gave them a call, and found out from them that the switch type is a kind of hybrid mechanical/membrane, using a rubberdome to process the signal, but providing a tactile feedback. It sounds very vaguely like a Topre switch, but I doubt it's that...

Has anyone ever heard of switches like that or know what kind of switches these are?
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Question...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 12:30:48 »
It's not a Topre, that's all I can tell you.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 13:21:54 »
Sounds like a standard rubber dome with added marketing BS... erm, spice.

Rubber domes are tactile, if they didn't specifically mention it having springs or some other mechanism, assume it's just a rubber dome with 3-4mm key travel.

The Poker II is programmable, so ALL the keys can become macro keys ;) You have 2 extra layers on the board, the Fn layer and the Pn layer, so you can program a bunch of macros into the Pn layer and hey presto.

Also it takes up less space on your desk, so you have more space for a pen tablet or large mousepad.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 15:02:26 »
Cherry MY?

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 15:10:50 »
Has anyone ever heard of switches like that or know what kind of switches these are?

Get them to pull a keycap and demonstrate!
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 15:43:27 »

Get them to pull a keycap and demonstrate!

I did. That's how the person described it to me over the phone.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 15:45:05 »
No, I mean, send you a photo, silly :-P
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 15:58:23 »
You could program macros on any programmable without too much hassle. Hell, my Poker II has that functionality.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 16:07:46 »
You could program macros on any programmable without too much hassle. Hell, my Poker II has that functionality.

Perhaps he wants to be able to press one button not 2 or 3 to get to the macros.

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 16:17:38 »

Perhaps he wants to be able to press one button not 2 or 3 to get to the macros.

Hell, if I had my way I'd have two score keyboards worth of macro keys just for the lulz... with a 60% KB right smack dab in the center.

Offline keyton

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 16:38:35 »

Hell, if I had my way I'd have two score keyboards worth of macro keys just for the lulz... with a 60% KB right smack dab in the center.
Like an ergodox with a poker in the middle lol

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:55:58 »

Like an ergodox with a poker in the middle lol

More like this... but at quintuple density and a Poker in the middle (there's a joke there, I just know it).

-Sounds like you're compensating...

Shut UP!

Anyway, I'm not all THAT serious. Most of the buttons and switches would do nothing... or I'd have them set to do certain things. Press one button, the kitchen lights come on. Press another, the A/C sets itself to 72 degrees. Press the third, and the landmines go active between the hours of 7am and 5pm... just in time for me to be at work and the neighbor's stupid chihuahua comes into my yard to take a crap. BOOOOM! No more rat dog.

But I digress...

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 03:47:40 »
Now you're living up to your username!

How about a "macro" numpad. You can get relegendable MX caps and use a programmable numpad next to a Poker II..... Or above it... or anywhere you want since you'll have enough desk space.  ;)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.