Author Topic: First time buyer, will these caps work with a poker II?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline kNyneWest

First time buyer, will these caps work with a poker II?
« on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 20:05:41 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/doubleshot-abs-keycaps

I really wanted some caps with different colored fonts and these are awesome, before I buy them will they work with a poker II?  Mine is currently in the mail :D

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: First time buyer, will these caps work with a poker II?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 20:08:16 »
Yes, but I think those are Tao hao and I don't like their quality and most people here don't either
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 20:11:39 »
??????

Most of what I've read has been in favor of tai hao's caps. They're cheap and they're doubleshot!
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kNyneWest

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 20:34:09 »
Hmm I plan on doing a two-tone board with some reds and some whites, would it be cheaper to buy from somewhere else where I can get a half/half or is this a pretty good deal just to buy two full sets?  Also since it's a poker II I won't need all of the keys.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 20:37:41 »
They're real cheap. Might as well get 2 sets.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jameslr

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 22:40:29 »
Tai hao are decent doubleshots for the price. They're still thin ABS, but what do you expect for $20?
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 23:15:50 »
They're pretty nice.  I've had 4 different colored sets of them.  The colors are very bright.  They look exactly as they do in the Massdrop pictures.  When we did a group buy, the sets were around $9 each.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 04:30:50 »

I really wanted some caps with different colored fonts and these are awesome, before I buy them will they work with a poker II?  Mine is currently in the mail :D

They will fit on the Poker, but consider this... it is important...

The stock keycaps on the Poker II are high quality thick PBT and will feel way better than any thin ABS caps. Those Taihao sets are thin ABS despite being doubleshot, and while they are decently made, they are thin and light and are not even in the same league as the stock Poker II caps, so you may well be disappointed with them.

I would recommend rather finding some really great keycaps that you like instead, like for instance the upcoming GMK HyperFuse set that Bunnylake will offer. It's not worth putting cheap caps on a board that already has high quality ones.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 10:28:29 »
That's subjective ;D

I don't like PBT in any form at all.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 21:24:42 »

They will fit on the Poker, but consider this... it is important...

The stock keycaps on the Poker II are high quality thick PBT and will feel way better than any thin ABS caps. Those Taihao sets are thin ABS despite being doubleshot, and while they are decently made, they are thin and light and are not even in the same league as the stock Poker II caps, so you may well be disappointed with them.

I would recommend rather finding some really great keycaps that you like instead, like for instance the upcoming GMK HyperFuse set that Bunnylake will offer. It's not worth putting cheap caps on a board that already has high quality ones.

I agree with Oobly.  The stock keycaps on the Poker 2 are the best I've felt so far.