Author Topic: Not sure what took me so long  (Read 1474 times)

Offline ryhanson

Not sure what took me so long
« on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 00:15:41 »
Hey guys,

Somewhat new to mechanical keyboards, and I'm a programmer and also one of those guys who is mad at himself for taking so long to discover the pure joy of typing on a mechanical keyboard.

I now have a Poker II and a WASDv2 with Ducky PBT Caps. I also may or may not have spent almost $200 on two sets of the Granite Round 2 set... But after seeing numerous pictures of round one, that was the keycap set I was dead set on getting.

I quickly found that all the super awesome keysets that everyone has are from Groupbuys and hard to get if you didn't get in on the group buy.

So yeah, happy to be here. I frequent /r/MK quite a bit.

- Ryan

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Not sure what took me so long
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 00:22:14 »
Nice purchases so far.  :thumb:  Can't go wrong with a Poker or Granite set.  Welcome to the site and you might want to lurk in the classifieds if you don't already.  Might be able to find some keysets from past GB's up for sale.  ;D  A lot of good stuff moves through.

Offline ryhanson

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 02:53:16 »
Already have been lurking quite a bit actually :)

been waiting for a 60% alum case to show up so I can slap it on my Poker. I would post a WTB, but I think there is a post limit or something.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 05:43:40 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Granite is a nice set, although are you sure you're ready for DSA profile keycaps?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 09:59:26 »
Sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup! Glad to have you here, regardless of how long it took.  ;D

Offline ryhanson

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:18:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Granite is a nice set, although are you sure you're ready for DSA profile keycaps?

I better be ready for them with how much I spent! :) but why do you ask, because they are addicting, or are they so different it take some getting used to them?

I guess I probably should have bought some cheap DSA caps to take for a spin before I committed to two sets of the Granites. I guess if I don't like them there will definitely be someone who wants to take them off my hands.

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:01:24 »
Welcome to Geek Hack!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 03:29:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I better be ready for them with how much I spent! :) but why do you ask, because they are addicting, or are they so different it take some getting used to them?

I guess I probably should have bought some cheap DSA caps to take for a spin before I committed to two sets of the Granites. I guess if I don't like them there will definitely be someone who wants to take them off my hands.

DSA is a little bit different - some people don't like it.  Most do though.

And an interesting thought - if you are used to a laptop keyboard (scissor switches) or similar, DSA won't be a problem!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ryhanson

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 11:57:25 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

DSA is a little bit different - some people don't like it.  Most do though.

And an interesting thought - if you are used to a laptop keyboard (scissor switches) or similar, DSA won't be a problem!

Yeah I actually ended up cancelling my Granite order after they pushed the ship date back. I don't really want to wait until December to get keycaps. I ended up getting the RainDrop v2 set from TechKeys instead.

I will probably get some DSA blanks to try out soon too before I commit to an expensive set like the granites.