Just registered!! Woo

Been a keyboard collector for some time but never got around to register here

Hope to stay here

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Hey!!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 12:52:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack! What's in your collection right now?

Offline sashi

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 14:04:00 »
Filco Majestouch - MX Brown
Filco Majestouch Ninja - MX Brown
DAS Keyboard - MX Blue
Leopold FC500RR - MX Red

So far, I love MX Red switches
MX Brown seems mushy and MX Blue is too loud for my taste when I bottom out.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 14:58:36 »
Awesome, welcome fellow MX Red lover!

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 15:01:54 »
Welcome!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 03:33:19 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Do you bottom out on the switches you have?  Most MX switches sound similar if you bottom out with enough force, just that blues have a extra high-pitched click as they actuate (which happens half way down, not when you bottom out).

You could also consider O-rings to reduce the noise from bottoming out.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sashi

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:08:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Do you bottom out on the switches you have?  Most MX switches sound similar if you bottom out with enough force, just that blues have a extra high-pitched click as they actuate (which happens half way down, not when you bottom out).

Yea I bottom out on my browns, blues and reds.... maybe I should consider the blacks?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:58:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yea I bottom out on my browns, blues and reds.... maybe I should consider the blacks?

Chances are you would still bottom out.

I do!  ;D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 01:15:41 »
Bottoming out on blacks is softer and won't hurt your fingers as much.  Get some "vintage MX blacks".  They're the smoothest MX switches.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 01:20:01 »
Welcome! :D
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline sashi

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 01:40:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I do!  ;D

I got the Filco Minila MX Reds, should I consider the blacks instead? They are the same except the force needed to bottom out correct?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 02:13:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I do!  ;D

I got the Filco Minila MX Reds, should I consider the blacks instead? They are the same except the force needed to bottom out correct?

The rate at which the force increases is higher for the black, so it is harder to accidentally press them ignoring that they take more force to press.