Author Topic: Question about keycap profiles  (Read 2968 times)

Offline justspeechless

Question about keycap profiles
« on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 23:26:27 »
Is DSA the only option for symmetrical height, low keycaps?

I've been using only a laptop for several consecutive years now and have just made the switch to mechanical keyboards.
I know the transition of getting used to higher caps will come with time, but I'm curious if there's any other options besides DSA to customize.

Thanks, much appreciated.

[CM QFR]

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: Question about keycap profiles
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 23:42:51 »
DSA is the only option I'm aware of for low height spherical caps.

What are you hoping to achieve with low height caps? No matter which type of keycap you use, the switch travel will be the same: 2mm to actuation, 4mm total. You could also look into SA profile caps, which are taller, but depending on the set's profile, could be all the same height (look for a set with all row three keycaps). I believe there are currently group buys running for both DSA sets and uniform row three SA sets.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline cruzin

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 00:12:49 »
According to this, there's also LP, but I haven't seen any GBs using it.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline justspeechless

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 00:28:34 »
DSA is the only option I'm aware of for low height spherical caps.

What are you hoping to achieve with low height caps? No matter which type of keycap you use, the switch travel will be the same: 2mm to actuation, 4mm total. You could also look into SA profile caps, which are taller, but depending on the set's profile, could be all the same height (look for a set with all row three keycaps). I believe there are currently group buys running for both DSA sets and uniform row three SA sets.

Thanks.

True that the switch travel will be the same, but on the converse: what do people look to achieve with high height keycaps? :] Isn't this all about preference?  Correct my theory if I'm wrong, but from my perspective I have shorter fingers - so would shorter keys help me reach keys easier?

Another question: would it be wierd to mix SA on the F keys (R4?)  and have DSA on the rest for quicker access?  Sorry my thought process kinda got scattered as I typed this.

[CM QFR]

Offline tbc

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 04:42:01 »
justspeechless,

keep in mind the general userbase here.

you're going to find that people HATE the idea of mimicing inferior keyboards and LOVE retro.  that's why you see SA (the tall version of DSA) being overenthusiastically preferred.

but yes, you're right, DSA is your practical solution.  your reasons for picking it are valid.

about mixing profiles, i personally use DCS profile on my bottom row keys (not space) so that my fingers catch and don't 'fall off' the bottom of the board.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 August 2014, 04:44:20 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 05:00:55 »
Is DSA the only option for symmetrical height, low keycaps?
DSA is "Medium Profile" according to Signature Plastics.

Low profile keycaps, like on Cherry's "MX-Board 3.0"  is comparable to the home row of Cherry profile or Signature Plastics' DCS profile.
DSA is comparable to the home row of OEM profile.

The lowest profile I have seen is Tipro's relegendable keys, with the tops off. They are completely flat and without texture, though, so not very comfortable and they don't look good.

Another question: would it be wierd to mix SA on the F keys (R4?)  and have DSA on the rest for quicker access?
SA is much higher and the top surface is completely smooth where as DSA's is coarsely textured.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 10:14:24 »
There is also these

which are very low uniform profile sphericals, but they are only found on these old Cherry based typewriter models and don't have all the key size found on modern PC keyboards.

Offline justspeechless

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 11:05:41 »
justspeechless,

keep in mind the general userbase here.

you're going to find that people HATE the idea of mimicing inferior keyboards and LOVE retro.  that's why you see SA (the tall version of DSA) being overenthusiastically preferred.

but yes, you're right, DSA is your practical solution.  your reasons for picking it are valid.

about mixing profiles, i personally use DCS profile on my bottom row keys (not space) so that my fingers catch and don't 'fall off' the bottom of the board.

You're right about the peoples' interest here, but not for I! I do see how people love SA - it seems like it would be great for typing.  I will mainly be gaming on, probably, dsa keycaps then. Awesome, thanks for the input.

[CM QFR]