Author Topic: Right side of leopold fc660 keyboard stopped working  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Debeucci

Right side of leopold fc660 keyboard stopped working
« on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 15:13:17 »
hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here. One minute, my leopold fc660 is working like a champ. The next, the keys on the right side stop responding. Seems from the  9,o,l,m on to the right just don't respond. My insert button still has the light on. I've swapped computers. Same thing.

Am I screwed or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for replying.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Right side of leopold fc660 keyboard stopped working
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 15:14:31 »
Is it a 660C or 660M?

Offline Debeucci

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 15:48:46 »
I believe it's a fc660c

Offline Altis

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 23:39:22 »
I have no experience with that board, but I know that it doesn't have NKRO, correct?

I wonder if one of the keys is stuck. Try roughing up the keys a bunch to see if it frees it up.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:08:05 »
I have no experience with that board, but I know that it doesn't have NKRO, correct?

I wonder if one of the keys is stuck. Try roughing up the keys a bunch to see if it frees it up.

I don't think that would be the case at all.
Considering the keys, I would almost think that a whole column is damaged, but I don't think "M" would be in the same column as "9" so it's probably not that either.
Maybe you could open it up and make sure everything is secured in place.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:17:21 »
Is it still under warranty?  Maybe consider returning it before doing anything silly with it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sniping

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:56:24 »
I sold the Leopold to OP--it's outside warranty period now.

I can't really explain this either. I opened the keyboard up to dental mod before I sold it, but neither the mod nor disassembly explains why part of the keyboard would randomly cut out a year later.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 01:01:13 »
Could be a loose connector, perhaps.

This is all I could find at short notice - maybe one of the wires is squashed and occasionally shorting.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sniping

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 01:07:07 »
Could be a loose connector, perhaps.

This is all I could find at short notice - maybe one of the wires is squashed and occasionally shorting.

I thought about that before making the post above. I don't see how it could loosen itself inside the casing, but the cable is the only possible culprit that seems logical.

Offline Altis

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 01:19:04 »

I don't think that would be the case at all.
Considering the keys, I would almost think that a whole column is damaged, but I don't think "M" would be in the same column as "9" so it's probably not that either.
Maybe you could open it up and make sure everything is secured in place.

I've seen stranger things happen.. I still think it's worth a try before opening it up and seeing what's what.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)