Author Topic: [IC] Cospar SA (GB DEC 1st! - NEW GB FORMAT!)  (Read 71124 times)

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
[IC] Cospar SA (GB DEC 1st! - NEW GB FORMAT!)
« on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 20:58:25 »
NEWS AND VOTING LINK:

• With this group buy format, the most essential packages will probably tip - if we gather enough support.
  • Cospars will be cheaper by a tiny amount because "ABORT" was switched to "PANIC".

Please, don't forget to vote for Cospar if you like it.

CURRENT STATUS:

• Group buy scheduled to start on December 1st, 2014.
  • My proxy has my color ring and I'm waiting it to be forwarded to Brazil so we can pick our colors.

PRICE TABLE:

• Blue is the MOQ I believe we should go with, in order to realistically achieve a tipping point.

FEATURED MOCKUPS:

KEYSET PRESENTATION:

GeekHack!

Since I got into mechs, I always wanted to design a space themed keyset. I was looking at some NASA archives I've got in my computer and found some incredible pictures, from the Apollo 13 and Apollo 15 Missions, from the Apollo Program and inspiration just came.

• Cospar is SA (2-1-2-3-4-3) ABS doubleshot, semi-matte top and sides.
  • It is the first SA sculptured keyset that completely covers QWERTY, Colemak and Dvorak layouts.

I'm thinking about 2-1-2-3-4-3, this setup is going to match very well the inicial concept.

Base Set

Colemak

Dvorak

Novelties

Numpad

ISO

Tsangan

Ergodox

Blanks

Keycap Puller

Apollo 15 Lunar module cockpit. - 1971

S-IB Networks Panel - This panel monitored the state of the electrical bus communications within the Apollo S-IB rocket. - 1975

MOCKUPS BELOW:

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 17:10:40 by MiTo »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: [IC] Cospar Keyset (Apollo 13 Mission Inspired Keyset)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:23:31 »
I'm hooked like a crack-ho to your designs MiTo  ;D .

This one has that real olden feel with the choice colours selected PLUS having all the top F1 to F12 in a single colour matching the side section of the TKL keyboard.

OF course you'll be wanting to know what profile could this particular design be constructed in, why it's SA because you want to use the right stuff here  :thumb: .

As Gawd is my witness if this gets made into SA Profile, I shall buy 4 of everything you've listed here when the time comes to buying it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:26:08 by Elrick »

Offline Heliosphere

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:28:02 »
RESERVED
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2016, 10:38:52 by MiTo »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:32:19 »
I love space and the NASA theme, but the colors look like Tonka toys: http://www.vintagetoysillustrated.com/vintage-toys-for-sale/june/2012/TONKA_MIGHTY_TURBO_DIESEL_METAL_CONSTRUCTION_DUMP_TRUCK_CLEAR_WINDOWS_EXHAUST_STACKS.JPG

Too vivid for me.

I think I can close this thread and request it to be deleted, because it was worth the laugh already. "Tonka Toy"!

Jokes apart, I know what you mean, and I will tell you the truth. SP don't have the best colors in the world, they are very limited when it comes to Blue, Yelow and Pink (Pink is non-existant basically). I wanted a faded yellow and a grey-blue but unfortunately, they don't have it as we speak.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:34:17 »
Haha I know what you mean Mito, and I meant no offense. I would like if the colors were more subdued, such as the grey-blue you mentioned, similar to the panel picture.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:42:32 »
Haha I know what you mean Mito, and I meant no offense. I would like if the colors were more subdued, such as the grey-blue you mentioned, similar to the panel picture.

Yes, the panel! If only they h...

I'll mock it up on PBT.
They've got decent tones in PBT.

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:56:04 »
I would very much like to see this come to fruition, especially if it's possible to match the original console colors. Is there a possibility of you exploring a similar color matching path that the galaxy class set utilized?

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:04:28 »
I would very much like to see this come to fruition, especially if it's possible to match the original console colors. Is there a possibility of you exploring a similar color matching path that the galaxy class set utilized?

It kinda does, Mercury. Galaxy used PBT Dye-Sub and I tried to mock Cospar on PBT Dye-Sub specs. Take a look below:

I used the BFD PBT tone, and I'm gonna try the BFH right now, cause it kinda looks closer to the blue-grey panel.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:14:17 »

It kinda does, Mercury. Galaxy used PBT Dye-Sub and I tried to mock Cospar on PBT Dye-Sub specs. Take a look below:

Show Image

I used the BFD PBT tone, and I'm gonna try the BFH right now, cause it kinda looks closer to the blue-grey panel.

Show Image

I very much prefer this color scheme than the one you initially posted.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:18:11 »
Look at this:

We can use a brighter red, maybe.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:29:18 by MiTo »

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:31:40 »
Looks better now, like Space Cadet.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:35:16 »
A few mockups with the new color scheme:

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:37:10 by MiTo »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:37:12 »
MiTo don't be fooled into choosing PBT rubbish to produce your design because it will FAIL major league.

If you want it done in PROPER PBT then go ask Imsto to produce it for you because he'll have it all done at BSP head quarters where real PBT key-caps are produced.  Although waiting for them to arrive to your place will take some time.

Just stick with the current status-quo go with standard SA ABS injected key-caps and have no worries about quality and execution.  Plus it'll be all made much sooner and delivered far quicker.

I don't understand why this fascination for PBT when ABS works just as well and with the current SA profile produced by SP, it's better quality compared to any other profile made by them.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:44:41 »
MiTo don't be fooled into choosing PBT rubbish to produce your design because it will FAIL major league.

If you want it done in PROPER PBT then go ask Imsto to produce it for you because he'll have it all done at BSP head quarters where real PBT key-caps are produced.  Although waiting for them to arrive to your place will take some time.

Just stick with the current status-quo go with standard SA ABS injected key-caps and have no worries about quality and execution.  Plus it'll be all made much sooner and delivered far quicker.

I don't understand why this fascination for PBT when ABS works just as well and with the current SA profile produced by SP, it's better quality compared to any other profile made by them.

I tried PBT because they don't have blue/grey tones close to the Apollo 15 Panel in ABS. Also, the yellow on ABS is too vivid.

Signature Plastics have different colors for ABS and PBT. Totally different.

But realistically, I liked the first version with lighter Alphas way more. Tonka Toy on SA would look pretty awesome, I believe.

Offline NotLarryEllison

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:52:06 »
Is it just me, or did anybody else automatically think of Rockwell Automation's Retro Encabulator when you saw those pics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

More importantly, will this keyset have a drawn reciprocation dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal deplanaration?

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 23:02:59 »
Is it just me, or did anybody else automatically think of Rockwell Automation's Retro Encabulator when you saw those pics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

More importantly, will this keyset have a drawn reciprocation dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal deplanaration?

I natively speak portuguese. 90% of the time of the video I was just looking at the machine and it's buttons because I couldn't understand jack**** he was talking about.

Do you even hyperbolic?

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 23:08:44 »
Go with what you think is best MiTo, I'm just throwing some opinions around.

Offline BamBooBam

• Yammy Caps
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 23:09:03 »
ill def buy a set if this goes live  :eek:
Geekhack an alternation of money sink.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 23:16:48 »
Go with what you think is best MiTo, I'm just throwing some opinions around.

I will request decent sample colors from Melissa, next Monday.

She's probably gonna kill me.

Offline SL89

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 23:32:32 »
MiTo is the Billy Mays of Caps... BUT WAIT THERES MORE!!

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:01:58 »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:12:05 »
But realistically, I liked the first version with lighter Alphas way more. Tonka Toy on SA would look pretty awesome, I believe.

That's my opinion as well  :thumb: .  Don't ever back away from your very FIRST assumption regarding this colour-way.  Stick to it because your name will be attached to this key-set hence go with your own instinct because the majority of geekhackers here are totally illiterate to colour and design.

I loved your first design and that's what got me really interested in it.  BUT if you only prefer 'democracy' in realizing this design then rest assured it may tank before it even gets anywhere near SP's molds  ::) .

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:17:45 »

That's my opinion as well  :thumb: .  Don't ever back away from your very FIRST assumption regarding this colour-way.  Stick to it because your name will be attached to this key-set hence go with your own instinct because the majority of geekhackers here are totally illiterate to colour and design.

I loved your first design and that's what got me really interested in it.  BUT if you only prefer 'democracy' in realizing this design then rest assured it may tank before it even gets anywhere near SP's molds  ::) .

I think that the first assumption works for a lot of stuff when it comes to color schemes. You can't overthink.

I'll stick to the first ones, cause don't want Cospar to become a modern Space Cadet.

Next Monday I'll request a better picture of the BE blue chip and find a nice grey tone to drop on the legends of the alphas.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:41:53 »
I'll stick to the first ones, cause don't want Cospar to become a modern Space Cadet.

Next Monday I'll request a better picture of the BE blue chip and find a nice grey tone to drop on the legends of the alphas.

BRILLIANT  :thumb: .  What got me interested is the early 1970's look and feel of this key-set that screams NASA control panel (although never actually seen their cockpits in person).

I bet Jim Lovell would give you the gold award for making this happen especially now since it will be 44 years since their Apollo 13 mission  8) .

Offline Den441

Re: [IC] Cospar Keyset (Apollo 13 Mission Inspired)
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 06:44:26 »
I've always wondered how BX would look as modifiers. The color samples of it look good to me.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 10:08:01 »
So SA profile ABS double shot?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 10:57:41 »
Man, you're cranking out design after design!

Didn't you want to do the Airborne Set next?

I like the new design as well, but in my opinion you should be careful not to overdo it. If you present new designs months before you actually want to get them produced many people will spend their funds on the next best thing and have no money left when your GB actually launches...

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 13:38:06 »

BRILLIANT  :thumb: .  What got me interested is the early 1970's look and feel of this key-set that screams NASA control panel (although never actually seen their cockpits in person).

I bet Jim Lovell would give you the gold award for making this happen especially now since it will be 44 years since their Apollo 13 mission  8) .

It indeed has the 70s look. I've seen the cockpit of a few modules and believe me it's hella sick.

Wish they took me to Houston for a trip.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 13:56:50 »
I've always wondered how BX would look as modifiers. The color samples of it look good to me.

Good eye, sir.

As a matter of fact, I really believe that the BE is what we should go for - it looks very aged and faded.

The beige legends on the BE tone would look very nice IRL, like that grandma's old television.  Legends kinda faded.

Look:

BE BLUE (60%):

BX BLUE (60%):

BE BLUE (TKL):

BX BLUE (TKL):

TONE COMPARISON:

Good or crap?
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:02:22 by MiTo »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:04:19 »
So SA profile ABS double shot?

1-1-2-3-4-3, probably.

Offline SL89

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:04:54 »
I like it with BX!

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:09:22 »
Do you have BE/BX flipped? http://www.keycapsdirect.com/images/colors/absblue.JPG BX looks more faded in this pic from sp

I don't mind either color, certainly the more faded of the two would lend itself to a retro feel when paired with the right shade of gray
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:11:54 by Mercury7 »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:17:49 »
Man, you're cranking out design after design!

Didn't you want to do the Airborne Set next?

I like the new design as well, but in my opinion you should be careful not to overdo it. If you present new designs months before you actually want to get them produced many people will spend their funds on the next best thing and have no money left when your GB actually launches...

PuLSE will be launched on Sep 8th. I don't know long the GB will last, but probably something like 20-30 days. Therefore, production will start on October and the shipping should conclude by November.

According to my calculations, and considering that the integrate of a constant is x and also having in mind that the Moon takes 27 days to conclude a full orbit around the Earth... Cospar on X-Mas confirmed.

Seriously now, I don't know if PuLSE is going to tip even though you guys believe it's good and well designed. Hopefully, it will.

I will launch Cospar IC on PMK right after PuLSE GB ends. That way, people who missed PuLSE, will have a decent new SA to go for as I will not do Round 2 on any of my designs.

Airborne is DSA, and I will IC here and on PMK when PuLSE GB is live.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:21:38 by MiTo »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:24:14 »
Do you have BE/BX flipped? http://www.keycapsdirect.com/images/colors/absblue.JPG BX looks more faded in this pic from sp

I don't mind either color, certainly the more faded of the two would lend itself to a retro feel when paired with the right shade of gray

Unfortunately not, I will ask better samples tomorrow. I tried the grey legends, take a look:

GY Grey Legends (60%)

GY Grey Legends (TKL)
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:54:34 by MiTo »

Offline Data

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:58:10 »
This is cool man.  The colors aren't really my cup of tea, but I dig the planet/orbit key. Looking forward to watching this one evolve.  :thumb:

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 15:16:49 »

Unfortunately not, I will ask better samples tomorrow. I tried the grey legends, take a look:

GY Grey Legends (60%)
Show Image

GY Grey Legends (TKL)
Show Image

Colors look pretty good here. I can't say I'll be picking up a set but I'll keep watching as well.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 19:21:23 »

GY Grey Legends (60%)
Show Image

GY Grey Legends (TKL)
Show Image

Colors look pretty good here. I can't say I'll be picking up a set but I'll keep watching as well.

This is cool man.  The colors aren't really my cup of tea, but I dig the planet/orbit key. Looking forward to watching this one evolve.  :thumb:

I believe that these colors should be implemented in the keyset, no doubt. Looking very good.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 20:47:47 »
I really don't like the turquoise look.
Consider getting a custom color mixed.
A blue-gray would be awesome.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 21:07:49 »
I really don't like the turquoise look.
Consider getting a custom color mixed.
A blue-gray would be awesome.

Which one do you refer as turquoise? And I don't know if I can get a custom with SP.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 21:25:19 »
Mission Control:

Cospar 60%

Cospar TKL

Calculations verified awesomeness, please report.
- over.

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 22:04:47 »
Glaxy Class mixed a pantone orange with SP.
I think you can do it for ABS and PBT.
I think the mod color in the latest two mockups looks turquoise.
I can't decide if I like light or dark legends more.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 23:54:10 »
Mission Control:
Cospar 60%
Show Image

Cospar TKL
Show Image
- over.

It really looks like it's been left out in the Sun throughout Summer and you have the current result  :( .  AGAIN stick to the original concept of capturing the real colours of the internal cockpit and don't go producing something in the world of fantasy-land, it will discredit the whole Apollo 13 venture.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 23:56:06 by Elrick »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 06:58:49 »
Mission Control:
Cospar 60%
Show Image

Cospar TKL
Show Image
- over.

It really looks like it's been left out in the Sun throughout Summer and you have the current result  :( .  AGAIN stick to the original concept of capturing the real colours of the internal cockpit and don't go producing something in the world of fantasy-land, it will discredit the whole Apollo 13 venture.

But the faded tone is much closer to the colors on the cockpit then the previous blue tone!

Also, the goal is to make something that looks antique, I believe we achieved that with the faded turquoise, as they sure look they were left in the Sun.

Or in the Moon.

But seriously, I will contact SP and ask if they can do Pantone, as I'm looking for a grey-blue tone that totally exists in the palette.

EDIT: But I agree that this one down here looks really awesome. I just wanted to try a truly faded-left-in-the-Sun blue, but I don't know if 25 people are ready to try this. Probably not.

« Last Edit: Mon, 01 September 2014, 07:05:12 by MiTo »

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 09:51:15 »
I really hope they can do some matching to get it close as possible to the apollo blue

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 15:26:59 »
I really hope they can do some matching to get it close as possible to the apollo blue

Not very sure about it, I gotta email Melissa.

EDIT: According to the description in their website it is possible, but there's a fee.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 September 2014, 16:11:27 by MiTo »

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 15:41:20 »
Hot damn!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 18:56:26 »
EDIT: But I agree that this one down here looks really awesome. I just wanted to try a truly faded-left-in-the-Sun blue, but I don't know if 25 people are ready to try this. Probably not.
Show Image

Now you're talking with these colours.  Still old-school and very close to the range of colours in their original Apollo capsule.  Pity you can't use the NASA logo for this set to really make it official  ;) .

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 16:55:16 »

EDIT: According to the description in their website it is possible, but there's a fee.

I've never seen the numbers but Galaxy Class wasn't outrageously priced and they had the nifty screen printed legends.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 11:16:01 »

I've never seen the numbers but Galaxy Class wasn't outrageously priced and they had the nifty screen printed legends.

We are taking about Pantone custom tones, not printing method.