Author Topic: RealMatrix, or what TypeMatrix should be  (Read 5993 times)

Offline dusan

RealMatrix, or what TypeMatrix should be
« on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 13:55:31 »
Hello,

I'd like to introduce RealMatrix, an alternative layout to TypeMatrix keyboard model 2030. Comments and helps in improving the design and implementing it are appreciated.

The layout is primarily aimed at ease of use for everyone. By 'everyone' I mean:

* Not only me (professional who types on computer for a living), but also my kids (occasional typists).

* Not only for serious working, but also for playing games.

* Not only for right hand men, but also left hand men.

* Suitable to use with mouse by both right and left hands.

Have been using TypeMatrix (model 2030) for five years, I think its basic design is sound, but there are still rooms for improvement:

* It is unbalanced. It has too many keys on the right hand side and too few key on the left hand side. Thus some keys on the right hand side, primarily Shift and Ctrl, became hardly accessible.

* Left hand side and right hand side too closed, as they are separated by only one column of keys.

RealMatrix, the new layout, tried to maintain compatibility with TypeMatrix 2030 w.r.t. functionality:

* All keys that exist on the TypeMatrix are preserved.

* The similarity to the standard numeric keypad, hence the ability to switch to numeric keypad (by Fn key or Num lock key) is preserved.

* The 2x3 matrix of movement keys (arrows, Home and End) is preserved.

* The locations of Backspace and Enter are preserved.

* The location of Delete is almost preserved.

However, in comparison to the TypeMatrix, it is different and superior in a number of aspects:

* Narrower. Its size is 7x14, compared to 7x15 of the TypeMatrix 2030.

* Dividable. It is readily dividable into equally-sized left and right halves.  Each half fits a 7x7 matrix.

* Improved matrix of movement keys. Page Up and Page Down keys are now relocated to under right index finger. Thus they become much easier usable (in combination with right Ctrl). Together with arrows and Home+End, they form a very compact 2x4 matrix.

* Halves are partially swapable. The left and right halves are symmetrically mirrored, making it possible to swap some of their functionality. For example, the 2x4 matrix of movement keys is potentially swapable with the same sized matrix of additional function keys (start, play, app, shuffle, calc, mail, web, desktop).

* Generally less pain in typing, as there is larger distance between left and right hand letter keys.

* The left Ctrl key is now easier to access, as it is larger and placed at the corner, mirorred to the right Ctrl.

* The Delete key is now easier to access, as it is relocated to the same row as the Backspace.

Comments and helps in improving the design and implementing it are appreciated.

Thank you.
Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: RealMatrix, or what TypeMatrix should be
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 15:20:38 »
TM2030 is my primary portable keyboard and I use something similar (a POS keypad with a layout influenced by both typematrix and Humble Hacker) at home, while my ErgoDox isn't working. I do agree there are plenty of possible improvements to be made, but not the ones you mention for the most part.

The layout is primarily aimed at ease of use for everyone. By 'everyone' I mean:

* Not only me (professional who types on computer for a living), but also my kids (occasional typists).
* Not only for serious working, but also for playing games.
* Not only for right hand men, but also left hand men.
* Suitable to use with mouse by both right and left hands.
There's no 'one size fits all'… there's only 'one size that frustrates everyone a bit'. Placement of special symbols is a good example…

* It is unbalanced. It has too many keys on the right hand side and too few key on the left hand side. Thus some keys on the right hand side, primarily Shift and Ctrl, became hardly accessible.
That's the cost of relative compatibility with QWERTY, if you mean '[]-=\. Your new placement of these keys is very poor, should they be used often; B or 6 key positions are some of the worst on staggered QWERTY, because of lateral movements and row jumps—the typematrix layout is already prone to index-finger overuse.

* Left hand side and right hand side too closed, as they are separated by only one column of keys.
Four columns is just barely enough on a straight flat keyboard IME, which isn't possible with the typematrix; the keyboard ought to be fully split like Goldtouch Go! for actual improvement in comfort.

* All keys that exist on the TypeMatrix are preserved.
That would be awesome, if some of the original keys made sense in the first place. For example, a key dedicated to Win+D? Seriously? Multimedia keys to start applications? No way. There could have been a dedicated Insert key instead.

* The similarity to the standard numeric keypad, hence the ability to switch to numeric keypad (by Fn key or Num lock key) is preserved.
I don't use the tenkey, but it might be a useful feature. You haven't kept /*- in place though.

* The 2x3 matrix of movement keys (arrows, Home and End) is preserved.

* Improved matrix of movement keys. Page Up and Page Down keys are now relocated to under right index finger. Thus they become much easier usable (in combination with right Ctrl). Together with arrows and Home+End, they form a very compact 2x4 matrix.
It's a good move, although I find the vertical nav cluster on Noppoo Choc Mini overall much better, because I can use it with my thumb while resting my right hand next to the keyboard (or on the pointing device).

One thing I don't get about the picture, why is the extra nav cluster on the function layer like that? In other words, why isn't Page Up/Down on QA instead of TG to keep the layout the same as on the right? Or why isn't the whole cluster shifted to the left, to get arrows on WASD and everything on the home resting position?

* The locations of Backspace and Enter are preserved.
They aren't. Both keys are vertical 2x on the original keyboard and it's a big deal in usability IME. I'd ideally move either under thumbs though, because of index-finger overload and lateral movements.

* The location of Delete is almost preserved.

* The Delete key is now easier to access, as it is relocated to the same row as the Backspace.
Excuse me, I don't see Delete anywhere in your layout… Aha! It's the mirrored BS symbol. I don't think it's a safe place for so dangerous key! You (and TypeMatrix) generally put keys in pretty random places. I mean, F12 in the middle of the keyboard? The multimedia-key cluster? Where's Pause, Scroll Lock and Print Screen?

One more thing: The spacebar is too far from the home resting position. I'm currently using spacebars under B and N, but it's already a bit too far. The AltGraph placement (and 1x size) doesn't help much (especially considering it's still asymmetrical).

It's what TypeMatrix should have been, if it were supposed to be a nightmare. Welcome to GH anyway!

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:28:13 »
Adding an extra column of separation is about the only improvement. At least for people like me with broad shoulders. I can't speak for people with small frames.

I think adding the brackets, etc to the middle is a really bad idea. They are not used very often and are given as good of placement as heavily used keys like backspace and enter.

Spacebar will not be accessible to most people unless they stretch out to hit it.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 02:17:19 »
I think adding the brackets, etc to the middle is a really bad idea. They are not used very often and are given as good of placement as heavily used keys like backspace and enter.
Do you even reddit bro? (hint: Markdown) …or code? And no, these aren't good locations, unless you have a specific testosterone level or ogre hands.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 00:15:09 »
Do you even reddit bro? (hint: Markdown) …or code? And no, these aren't good locations, unless you have a specific testosterone level or ogre hands.

Not sure how you can both agree with me and tell me I'm wrong.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 03:12:45 »
Ahh, perhaps I've poorly worded my reply. Well, I don't think the non-home-row positions in the middle are advantageous for many people, and brackets are frequently used by many people (coding/scripting, comments in Markdown or wiki articles).

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 10:00:09 »
Makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up, davkol.

Offline dusan

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 12:28:45 »
I take all davkol's and SonOfSonOfSpock's cricisms as serious issues. I've compiled a new version for the 7x14 matrix layout where (hopefully) all the issues are addressed. I need some more time to finish the design rationale with detailed discussion. So stay tuned.

Meantime I contacted TypeMatrix and got prompt response. It appears that they're not interested in any suggestion/proposal that would change the physical layout (due to the cost of the change), so I must come up with another, very modest, proposal: a new logical layout in the same 7x15 physical layout as the TM 2030 (attached Figure).

I tested it on my TM 2030 (by remapping everything except the bottom left cluster) and I must say: OMG it feels much better! Unlike the original TM 2030 that breaks almost everything learnt  from the standard keyboard, this remaped TM 2030 preserves almost everything, especially Shift, Ctrl and/or Alt + any navigation/correction key by the right hand.

If TM releases firmware update and keycaps to implement this layout for a reasonable price, I would love my TM more than ever.
Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 16:25:57 »
O_o

Offline dusan

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:39:44 »
To continue the layout shown in #7, this is my latest revision (rev. 02) after a few days of intense typing tests.

Notable changes since rev. 01:

• The right Shift key (for typing mode, as opposed to its identical copy for editing mode) was moved upward. The position near . is harder even compared to the standard keyboard. The move also leads to some minor improvement in editing mode, e.g. more comfortable combination Ctrl/Alt + Shift + Insert/Delete.
  • The = key returned to its usual position. Although the bottom half of the lower 2x vertical key (i.e. the original position of Enter on TM 2030) is the best position throughout the middle column, it is not so good to justify such a move.
  • The ' key relocated to the Tab (for typing mode) position. Any position in the middle column is poor for such a heavily used key. Generally I avoid changing the character layout. The ' key is the only character key that was relocated by this proposal.
  • The left Ctrl key was shifted rightward to occupy a bigger key and for better co-location with the left Shift key, which is necessary for comfortable work with a mouse under the right hand.

Notable changes against the original TM 2030:
  • Full navigation (including Tab) + correction cluster under the right hand, plus Ctrl, Shift (and even Alt), giving users in editing mode the same (and even more comfortable) feels as the standard keyboard.
  • The Fn key relocated under index finger (in editing mode) to hold the tenkey more firmly. Many accountants and data inputers refuse to use tenkey under function layer just because they found alpha/numeric switching via the Numlock key uncomfortable (regardless of location of Numlock), while the Fn key is placed at a poor place, e.g. under a pinky or on the same hand side as the tenkey.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:41:51 by dusan »

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:36:26 »
Are backspace and enter able to be hit easily?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 03:07:55 »
Generally speaking, no. We aren't familiar with OP's typing technique and physiology though.

Stabilized keys for arrows are a problem IMO, so is the quote placement, and I'm quite wary of destructive functions too close to something non-destructive with the opportunity to make mistakes.

Offline dusan

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:08:08 »
Are backspace and enter able to be hit easily?
Yes and no.

Yes, compared to their original position on the TM 2030, because with the new position I can press Backspace and Enter without efforts, in particular without moving my wrist.

No, because I can never hit them mistakenly. On the contrary I make many mistakes missing them when I'm in the typing mode. (For example, trying to press Backspace, I hit the , key instead.) For the Backspace key, in addition to using the middle finger I've tried other two promising techniques:

-- index finger: would be excellent if the key was shifted by 0.5u to the left, i.e. the Space bar would be 0.5u shorter. This would require physical modification, though. For the current physical layout, the key is hard for the index finger.

-- thumb: would be very good if I was a right-handed man. But I'm a left-handed man so I never use the right-hand thumb in the typing mode. So my right-hand thumb is not quick enough for my desired speed of pressing the Backspace key. To verify this theory I've also remapped the symmetrical position, i.e. the Shuffle key on the original TM 2030, as Backspace and tried to use it with the left-hand thumb. Works perfectly.

The problem is normal because my thumb/fingers are not trained enough for the new, unusual, position. I've never used a keyboard that places something useful for the typing mode at that position. I believe with a bit more training, the problem vanishes because the position is principally easy.

In the editing mode, I found no problems with Backspace/Enter, as both keys are under control of the index finger.

Generally speaking, no. We aren't familiar with OP's typing technique and physiology though.

Stabilized keys for arrows are a problem IMO, so is the quote placement, and I'm quite wary of destructive functions too close to something non-destructive with the opportunity to make mistakes.

I use standard home positions (if I understand the term 'technique' correctly) in typing as well as editing mode, i.e. Spacebar-JKL; for typing and Ctrl-Left-Down-Right arrow for editing.

I'm a left-handed man, I have an un-trained right-hand thumb and I have rather short and weak fingers compared to many my friends. The right-hand pinky trouble me most as I can never press Backspace with it on a standard keyboard. That's all I can remember about my physiology.

The quote key (new) position is as good as that of the open bracket key and this is the best position I can find for it without re-locating other character keys, which is the last thing I want to do.

The 2x vertical keys for up and down arrow look really weird but that's the only choice to preserve the inverted T shape of the arrow cluster immediately next to the triplet Ctrl, Shift, Alt which is IMO critical for easy re-training from the standard keyboard, not to mention that the vertical arrows are used substantially less frequently than the horizontal arrows, at least in text-oriented applications. Regarding actuation force, I found no noticeable differences to other 1u keys. I can press them easily even by the pinky, not to mention that the TM 2030 is one with stiffest keys I ever use. (70g, if I remember correctly.)

As for the safety of destructive keys (Backspace, Delete and Insert if I understand correctly), I can be certain that at least I never hit them mistakenly in typing mode although like everybody else, I'm completely new to this layout. And in the editing mode I'm yet more certain because this layout is pretty similar to typical laptop/mini keyboards. The Noppoo Choc Mini that you have mentioned previously in this thread, for example.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:33:12 »
It's kinda pointless without knowing your use case. Everyone judges the layout in the context of their workflow.

Arrows, for example. I use up/down all the time to move in command-line history or navigate through documents (okay, I actually use vi-like bindings a lot, but anyway). The stabilized keys feel a bit different and louder on both my TM2030s.

Or the Enter key. Two-row jump is a deal breaker when typing, stretching the thumb isn't any better.

Or quotation marks. I'm not sure, if they really matter to anyone but coders. A fair share of my time is occupied by coding and I hate these corner positions.

Offline dusan

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 06:58:08 »
Just image. Specs, rationale etc will come later.

Offline batfink

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 12:07:21 »
The TypeMatrix would be a lot better if that space bar was divided into two. And of course, have each programmable so that one could be space and the other something else (backspace, shift, ...). I would consider getting one if that was the case.

Offline dusan

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 02:18:00 »
From what I've learned, TypeMatrix doesn't accept customer suggestions, especially one that requires modification of the physical layout. And generally there's little chance they response to any suggestion, at all.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 10:12:46 »
From what I've learned, TypeMatrix doesn't accept customer suggestions, especially one that requires modification of the physical layout. And generally there's little chance they response to any suggestion, at all.

I've seen them respond on their customer forum to people wanting things like bluetooth.

Offline dusan

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 11:57:16 »
I mean suggestions on how to improve the layout. These are normally communicated in private because it would otherwise hard to admit that the current layout is imperfect.

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 14:14:19 »
I actually love my TypeMatrix 2030. The only thing I would really change is to use mechanical switches instead of scissor switches. I have tiny hands, so it's really a good fit for me.
Visit the Typing Test and try!