Author Topic: Keyboard purchase help.  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
Keyboard purchase help.
« on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 22:51:48 »
Hey guys, just a quick one really.

Essentially my Noppoo is breaking and I'm thinking about buying a replacement keyboard on Friday, I'm not entirely sure which I want to go for yet and that's why I've come here to ask for advice and what not.

So, I'm a 75% fanatic, it's my ideal layout hence why I've had 2 x Keycool 84's and 2 x Noppoo Choc minis. I only use MX Red and I'd prefer to have a form factor board than a full size board or TKL board.

So what boards would you suggest? I've been looking at the following:
  • Get a replacement Noppoo (they're currently 20% off on Amazon, so that's pretty much a steal)
  • Filco TKL (I gave the first one of these away to my friend, big mistake really ._.)
  • Ducky Shine 3 TKL
  • I was going to try and get my hands on a Keycool 84, but they don't sell them with Cherry MX anymore, so yeah, no thanks
Any other ideas? I don't like 60% boards because they don't have the requirements I need, e.g. Dedicated arrow keys, dedicated f1 - f12 keys etc.
你搞砸了

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Keyboard purchase help.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 22:54:05 »
Have you considered a Leopold FC660M?

Or even an FC660C if you want to go the Topre route?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 22:56:07 »
Have you considered a Leopold FC660M?

Or even an FC660C if you want to go the Topre route?

I had a topre, they're not for me gaming wise. (I had the HHKB Pro 2)

I'd buy a FC660M, but, they're rather hard to acquire over here in England, so I'd have to import it from elitekeyboards or something.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 22:58:03 by Fragil1ty »
你搞砸了

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 23:00:53 »

I'd buy a FC660M, but, they're rather hard to acquire over here in England, so I'd have to import it from elitekeyboards or something.

Have you considered buying one from qtan?

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/cateogry1-name/catId=4367799

Very reputable vendor, reasonable shipping prices, fast delivery.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 23:06:08 »
Leopold 750

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 11:46:11 »

Have you considered buying one from qtan?

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/cateogry1-name/catId=4367799

Very reputable vendor, reasonable shipping prices, fast delivery.

You know what? I was just browsing Qtans store the other day, cannot believe I missed these, rofl. I'll definitely consider it, are they much sturdier than the noppoo? better construction etc?

Looking at this FC660m it just seems more and more that this is the board for me to be honest, the only thing that I'm not too hot about is the colour of the font and the detatchable cable (I don't like dc on boards ;_;), but I'm definitely going to order one of these on Friday, definitely. Hopefully the longevity of these boards will outweigh that of the Noppoo.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 September 2014, 11:53:07 by Fragil1ty »
你搞砸了

Offline Altis

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 11:24:17 »
My QFR (Quickfire Rapid) with MX Reds is very solid.. best reds board I've used so far.

Only issue is they can be hard to acquire now, but I believe there's one in the classifieds.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 11:28:29 »
What about a Data911 TG3 BL82? It's backlit and is a 75% layout. Only issue is that it comes in MX Blacks.

Or a Siig Minitouch.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 13:59:56 »
Is there any reason why you only us MX Reds?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:24:44 »
He's a gamer

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:33:30 »
Is that a reason to only use Reds?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:38:34 »
Is there any reason why you only us MX Reds?

He's a gamer

I am in-fact a gamer, but there are other reaons as to why I only use Reds one of which is because this is the only keyswitch that really feels comfortable to me. I like how light and linear the switch is, I like how it feels while I game. I have tried pretty much all of the mx cherry switch types, with a few exceptions.

I tried Blues, they were my first switch, they were fine at the time, but now? I hate them. After this was when I went ahead and got my first Noppoo, it lasted for quite a while, maybe about.. 12 months or so and then I kinda hit it, so it broke ;_; fml (It started giving me debouncing issues). I then proceeded onto trying Blacks and while they were 'okay', they felt really heavy to me, I got finger fatigue after a while of using Blacks and this caused me discomfort while playing games. I then thought that enough was enough and went ahead and got the same keyboard (KC84) but this time in Browns, this was because at first, I bought the keyboard from qtan and I got it in reds, but then it got lost in transit or something and I got refunded, so I went ahead and put in another purchase but I thought I would try out Browns. I did so, but I didn't really like it that much, the weight was nice, but the bump was just something that I could not get used to what so ever, for whatever reason, so I thought, 'screw this' and went ahead and got another Noppoo and have been using that since (apart from when I briefly used the HHKB Pro 2).

But yeah, it's primarily because I'm a gamer but it is also because it is the only switch that I really feel comfortable on. I've also been able to achieve high WPM on reds and although reds are very light and can cause you to make mistakes sometimes and you catch yourself resting your thumb on the spacebar and pressing it accidentally sometimes, I wouldn't ever deviate away from Reds, it's just my perfect switch.

But all stories aside at the moment, I'm currently battling with the choice of:

Do I get another Noppoo and risk it again or do I go ahead and get the Leopold FC660m. I'm leaning more towards getting the FC600m to be quite honest, the FC660m seems like a much sturdier keyboard, has a backplate, looks mimimal, the keycaps look nice, the font also looks nice and it's got a nice colour scheme.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:43:31 by Fragil1ty »
你搞砸了

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:54:28 »
MX red is also my favorite cherry mx switch.
So I can definitely agree with that sentiment.
I also started out from blues myself.

My friend had the topre 660 and I tried it out.
It's a very nice sturdy board with nice caps and I think the FC600M should be great too  :thumb:
Get the one with the Red case ;P
Not having the function row might be a bit annoying though.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:17:33 »
MX red is also my favorite cherry mx switch.
So I can definitely agree with that sentiment.
I also started out from blues myself.

My friend had the topre 660 and I tried it out.
It's a very nice sturdy board with nice caps and I think the FC600M should be great too  :thumb:
Get the one with the Red case ;P
Not having the function row might be a bit annoying though.

Yeah that's the only thing holding me back at the moment, I mean, it's there, but only under the functions and what not, so it'll be like the HHKB and what not.

;_;, not sure. The choices are so hard when it comes to keyboards these days.
你搞砸了

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:22:10 »
MX Mini not an option?  Seems like it fits your requirements.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 02:32:11 »
MX Mini not an option?  Seems like it fits your requirements.

Aren't they quite hard to get hold of and expensive? I think I searched around for them a while ago and couldn't seem to find them easily and what not.
你搞砸了

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 02:47:59 »
Yeah, a bit pricier and harder to find, that's true.  Just my personal opinion but I learned to not just settle for something good when I know something great is out there, even if it's a pain in the ass to acquire.  Wasted too much money before on boards that almost fit my criteria. 

You can always order one from Gon, I believe.  It's just quite expensive.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 02:49:05 »
Why not a race if you like 75%s?

MD has a buy up for them now.  Downside is they're blues, but that's not a huge obstacle to overcome.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 02:55:06 »
Why not a race if you like 75%s?

MD has a buy up for them now.  Downside is they're blues, but that's not a huge obstacle to overcome.

I don't like how the Race looks and I would never go back to blues, you don't go and buy a Hatchback if you have a Porsche.

Yeah, a bit pricier and harder to find, that's true.  Just my personal opinion but I learned to not just settle for something good when I know something great is out there, even if it's a pain in the ass to acquire.  Wasted too much money before on boards that almost fit my criteria.  You can always order one from Gon, I believe.  It's just quite expensive.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean man, I've been through so many boards, I think the amount that I've spent is approaching 700/800GBP now lol, so I just want to get a keyboard and settle with it. I thought that was going to be the Noppoo as I heard that they had increased the longevity of the board, evidently not. Hence why I'm searching for a new, more permanent board.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 September 2014, 02:57:08 by Fragil1ty »
你搞砸了

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 10:31:56 »
I know what you mean, I couldn't ever go back to something as bad as reds after trying the filet that is topre
I love Elzy

Offline yuukou

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 11:43:26 »
I just had a noppoo, and after 3 years, I just bought a Leopold FC750R with thick PBT caps. It was worth every penny.