Author Topic: Model M 2 part keycap  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
Model M 2 part keycap
« on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 23:55:04 »
Hello I'm looking to buy a Model M for my next keyboard but want one with the keycaps that have two parts, (cover and skirt)

My question is, are there specific model numbers I should be looking out for? or should I be looking by the year it was manufactured?
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Model M 2 part keycap
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 09:44:46 »
Hello I'm looking to buy a Model M for my next keyboard but want one with the keycaps that have two parts, (cover and skirt)

My question is, are there specific model numbers I should be looking out for? or should I be looking by the year it was manufactured?

Pretty much all Model Ms have 2-piece keys ("stem" and "cap") except for some recent Unicomps.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 11:53:52 »

Pretty much all Model Ms have 2-piece keys ("stem" and "cap") except for some recent Unicomps.

Unicomp uses one piece for their metallic grey keycaps and black blanks, but two piece for pretty much everything else. If you get one-piece keycaps, a full printed set from unicomp of two-piece in pearl/pebble (IBM colours) is only $25, or $35 for APL.
http://pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/USAPLSET

Unless they've switched their pearl/pebble to one piece sometime in the last year or so. I have two bags of two-piece unicomp fullsets. Heck, I'll straight-up trade you for single-piece IBM keycaps if you get a KB that has them. (I don't think they're as uncommon as fohat.digs seems to indicate)

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 16:23:06 »

What about any of the blue label ones by Lexmark? Do those all have two peice keycaps?
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 16:39:42 »

What about any of the blue label ones by Lexmark? Do those all have two peice keycaps?

Yep.