Author Topic: Greetings from a CS Major!  (Read 1301 times)

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
Greetings from a CS Major!
« on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 11:51:49 »
A little bit about myself, I'm a CS Major ( as the title suggests  :p ), a major Linux user and a sprouting mechanical keyboard enthusiast!

The Linux Distros I use are Crunchbang ( Debian essentially ), ( Vanilla ) Arch Linux and Slackware. As I personally do not believe that there is "one perfect distro" and instead had chosen my top 3.  :thumb:
Being a CS Major, I want to go into Embedded programming as programming small computers to do a certain task really sparks my interest!

Okay enough bread, time for the meat! I currently own 3 keyboards, a CM Quickfire TK w/ MX Browns, a Rosewill RK-9100 w/ MX Blues, and a newly acquired Poker II w/ MX Blacks.
My favorite Switches as of now are in fact blues, I love the clicks and the tactile feel they give vs. the browns, which only give clacks. In fact that's probably the only switch I'll be collecting from now on!

Well due to the lack of finding anything else to add, I'll ask a question: is it really worth getting a new case for a poker II keyboard? because I personally find the case it came with fine, but I'd like to learn more, so I just thought I'd ask!
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
Re: Greetings from a CS Major!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 11:58:42 »
Welcome to GH. I just started college as a CS Major myself.
As for the your question, they are certainly not necessary, but they add a nice bit of weight to your keyboard (at least if you are talking about aluminum cases) and are also nice bling.  A lot of people here like to make there keyboards as awesome as possible (myself included ;)) so if you really want to dive into the expensive hobby of mech boards I would grab a case. But thats just my personal opinion. :p

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 12:01:24 »
Welcome! I take it you've purchased at least an Arduino? I too am drawn to embedded programming; but I'm no CS Major. You may be interested in the Teensy uC, as it couples your interests nicely.

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 12:06:43 »
Wow that was quick, thanks for the welcomes!  ;D

Welcome! I take it you've purchased at least an Arduino? I too am drawn to embedded programming; but I'm no CS Major. You may be interested in the Teensy uC, as it couples your interests nicely.

Actually I only have a Raspberry Pi, Embedded enough imo  :D
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline barkinos98

• Illinois
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 12:11:59 »
Hey man!
Welcome on board. As the famous saying goes, "welcome to geekhack where you'll end up smiling and your wallet ends up crying"  :p
Happy Hacking Professional 2  | Logitech G710+ | Quickfire Rapid MX Clears

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 12:35:40 »
CS Major too. Welcome

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 13:56:14 »
It's Da Penguin!
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 17:19:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Do you need a reason to replace a case?

If you want to go for embedded programming AND keyboards, you could try writing new firmware for a programmable keyboard :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ