Author Topic: CM Novatouch Review  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Hypersphere

CM Novatouch Review
« on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 18:13:04 »
I have posted a review of the CM Novatouch keyboard on DT. Rather than simply repeating it here, I will provide the link for those who might be interested:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/cm-novatouch-review-t8687.html#p181305

Happy reading!

Offline Belfong

Re: CM Novatouch Review
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 18:32:56 »
I have posted a review of the CM Novatouch keyboard on DT. Rather than simply repeating it here, I will provide the link for those who might be interested:

Happy reading!
Thank you...

Made in China!! not Japan! Hmm.. now this is interesting as the other thread complained about the cost and someone said that it is also made by Topre, so naturally the cost is the same as RF. Your review is a revelation!

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 18:54:24 »
The board is designed by topre I think.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 19:03:57 »
The board is designed by topre I think.

Don't know. There is another review of the Novatouch that showed a Topre ID on the PCB, and apparently the switches are genuine Topre, although they are a new hybrfid design. As to the design of the board, I don't know. However, in terms of manufacture, the CM Novatouch was definitely made in China, whereas my other Topre-switch keyboards (Realforce 87u 55g and HHKB Pro 2) were made in Japan.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 19:11:41 »

Happy reading!
Thank you...

Made in China!! not Japan! Hmm.. now this is interesting as the other thread complained about the cost and someone said that it is also made by Topre, so naturally the cost is the same as RF. Your review is a revelation!

The Leopold F660C is also made (assembled) in China QC inspected in Japan, I'm not sure but I think the switches, electronics are Topre Japan made.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 09:01:01 »
Something I neglected to mention in my review is that unless I am missing something, it appears that the Novatouch does not have an embedded numerical keypad. Some of my other TKL boards (such as the IBM SSK and RF 87u) do have this feature, although I rarely use it.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 12:58:52 »
Something I neglected to mention in my review is that unless I am missing something, it appears that the Novatouch does not have an embedded numerical keypad. Some of my other TKL boards (such as the IBM SSK and RF 87u) do have this feature, although I rarely use it.

Nice Review, It seems to be very bare bones indeed compared to the other Topre keyboards. No dip switches, LED key indicators, or PBT caps. The only real feature I can see is MX keycap compatibility.  :thumb:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 19:57:49 »
The only real feature I can see is MX keycap compatibility.  :thumb:

That is it's ONLY main feature here, especially for us lot here on Geekhack wanting to FULLY customize their Thorpie Keyboards with the current new key-sets coming out of either SP or GMK/BSP  8) .

Can't wait for this baby the hit our shelves soon.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 08:36:13 »
why did cm remove the led indicator lights in the first place?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 08:37:05 »
The only real feature I can see is MX keycap compatibility.  :thumb:

That is it's ONLY main feature here, especially for us lot here on Geekhack wanting to FULLY customize their Thorpie Keyboards with the current new key-sets coming out of either SP or GMK/BSP  8) .

Can't wait for this baby the hit our shelves soon.

Yes, Cherry mx-compatibility seems to be the main draw for the Novatouch. Although I prefer typing on my RF 87u 55g or my HHKB Pro 2 (among my Topre-switch boards), I may keep the Novatouch to showcase my Cherry keycap sets. I do prefer the Novatouch over any of my Cherry mx boards.