Author Topic: [IC] Planck PCBs & Atomic Keyboard hand-wiring kits are now for sale!  (Read 157522 times)

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
Re: [IC] Planck Keyboard Interest Checks 1 & 2, more info on website
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 11:19:27 »

Other updates:

Trackpoint has proven to be a little more difficult than I imagined. I may delay this to later versions, or just have instructions to do this manually.

After talking to the manufacturer, I may be able to lower the price on the metal plates quite a bit. This is pretty exciting - it opens up more doors for custom layouts. If you have one that you think makes a lot of sense that wasn't on the interest check, let me know and I may be able to support it.
thank you for the update :)
Will you include an option to support a nordic layout with åäö keys?
You talked about it a little bit on the reedit post :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 12:27:08 »
Thanks. Sooo… what's the minimal "order" to get a working keyboard? If I get just the PCB and supply my own PCB-mount Cherry MX switches (and keycaps), what do I have to get/do then (apart from soldering switches)?

Just the PCB, some switches, and a USB cable - you'll want to have some separation between your desk and the PCB, though. I'm planning on pre-loading firmware with my layout so things will work as soon as you plug it in.

Yeah, I mean, what's the "Just the soldering (~$50)" option then? Only soldering switches?

And if diodes come presoldered, what would I have to do, if I wanted to convert the PCB for example from The Grid to MIT?

Nathan's right on here - "Just the soldering" means the switches are mounted on the plate (if you want one - keep in mind I don't have a source for PCB-mounted switches), and then soldered to the PCB. All PCBs will have components soldered on, and support all of the different layouts. There's no need to convert the PCB.
Thanks a lot! I've filed the IC again for PCBs only. If Alps don't happen, I'm not too concerned.

Just curious (I apologize, if it's a stupid question, I know next to nothing about PCB design), in case I decide to switch from The Grid to MIT, which has one key less, I won't have to deal with diodes at all? What about the firmware?

Offline honoka

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 15:03:50 »

Other updates:

Trackpoint has proven to be a little more difficult than I imagined. I may delay this to later versions, or just have instructions to do this manually.

After talking to the manufacturer, I may be able to lower the price on the metal plates quite a bit. This is pretty exciting - it opens up more doors for custom layouts. If you have one that you think makes a lot of sense that wasn't on the interest check, let me know and I may be able to support it.
thank you for the update :)
You talked about it a little bit on the reedit post :)

+1 on this!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 15:46:07 »
How would the keyboard support diacritic marks? USB HID compliant keyboards send *codes* and it's OS' job to interpret them. The firmware should only support sending the ISO extra key's code.

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 19:43:45 »
How would the keyboard support diacritic marks? USB HID compliant keyboards send *codes* and it's OS' job to interpret them. The firmware should only support sending the ISO extra key's code.

To be entirely technical, the firmware sends the codes, and the firmware is programmable ;)

For the keyboards that are fully assembled, I can write and program a custom layout, but that part is up to you guys - I don't have any experience with nordic languages or layouts. I remember /u/ramnes mentioning International Qwerty was a good alternative. You'll have four whole layers to mess with (no mods, left mod, right mod, both mods), in addition to any other mods you may want (other than the two I'm using). Feel free to post layouts you have in mind here, and I can give advice on what I think will work the best.

Just curious (I apologize, if it's a stupid question, I know next to nothing about PCB design), in case I decide to switch from The Grid to MIT, which has one key less, I won't have to deal with diodes at all? What about the firmware?

All the diodes can stay in place for switch configurations, thanks to fancy engineering. Because of this, the firmware can also stay the same, but you may want to reprogram it since you're losing/gaining a key. Desoldering isn't the easiest thing in the world, but with some practice and online videos, I'm pretty sure anybody could figure it out.

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 21:57:18 »
I'm really excited for this.  Like really excited.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 11:53:16 »
An interest check on PMK just started for a keycap set with planck support.

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/deep-space/
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63768.0
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 11:58:17 »

All the diodes can stay in place for switch configurations, thanks to fancy engineering. Because of this, the firmware can also stay the same, but you may want to reprogram it since you're losing/gaining a key. Desoldering isn't the easiest thing in the world, but with some practice and online videos, I'm pretty sure anybody could figure it out.
Fancy!
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:53:03 by davkol »

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:35:03 »
The stuff on PMK is not 100% up to date, so check out the thread.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline STR8_AN94BALLER

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 02:03:56 »
Is there any plans to sell this keyboard as a complete one instead of a kit?
Rig | 5820K - 16G 2400 - AMP GTX1080 - 850EVO 1TB - EVGA 750G2 - W7U
P870DM3 GTX1080 SLi - Pending

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 02:06:08 »
Is there any plans to sell this keyboard as a complete one instead of a kit?
Check the IC #2, there's an assembly option.

Offline dusan

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 09:37:59 »
I guess form factor is not an option. So, if you'll plan Planck v.2 with a 5x14 matrix (at least), please count me in.

I need 5x14 to support international languages used by people around me, as well as my own national language (Vietnamese).
Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 12:02:45 »
I guess form factor is not an option. So, if you'll plan Planck v.2 with a 5x14 matrix (at least), please count me in.

I need 5x14 to support international languages used by people around me, as well as my own national language (Vietnamese).

It sounds like what I'm calling the "Atomic" keyboard will be better suited for that. It's the same size as the Poker/Pure/etc, but ortholinear. It'll mostly be 5x15 and have lots of layout options like these: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/c18df9c104554325503f4a3edd457734

I haven't started designing it yet, since I'm focusing on producing the Planck, but I'll be posting interest checks for that in the coming months.

Are there any plans to sell this keyboard as a complete one instead of a kit?

Davkol's right on here - because of the number of different options available, I'm structuring it as a kit with an "assembly" option, rather than a complete board with lots of different types. This also allows each kit to be tailored to the buyer's electronics knowledge/experience.

Offline Data

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 14:40:12 »

It sounds like what I'm calling the "Atomic" keyboard will be better suited for that. It's the same size as the Poker/Pure/etc, but ortholinear. It'll mostly be 5x15 and have lots of layout options like these: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/c18df9c104554325503f4a3edd457734

I haven't started designing it yet, since I'm focusing on producing the Planck, but I'll be posting interest checks for that in the coming months.

Dude... nice.

Offline nandop

• May your keystrokes always be true.
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 22:42:51 »
Is this still happening?  :'(
Sprit 60%, White MX 78g Au | Planck Ortholinear 40% Clear MX | Phantom TKL Browns 110g Au

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 11:12:55 »

It is! I have a small update:

I've just ordered 10 MIT Tops from a different supplier (along with 10 Tops and Bottoms for the Atomic keyboard - the Poker-sized ortholinear), and will be selling them along with the bottoms I already have, and taking orders for those that are just interested in the plates (hand-wiring a board) once I've gotten the chance to review the plates. I'm also going to be including hardware (10 M2 screws with 5 double female 10mm spacers) with these.

Options will include all of the top options in the interest checks, and the standard bottom (I'll provide the CAD files of everything so you'll know what you'll be getting). If there's enough interest, I may do an ALPS option with this run too.

Offline deci

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 11:46:05 »

I've just ordered 10 MIT Tops from a different supplier (along with 10 Tops and Bottoms for the Atomic keyboard - the Poker-sized ortholinear), and will be selling them along with the bottoms I already have, and taking orders for those that are just interested in the plates (hand-wiring a board) once I've gotten the chance to review the plates. I'm also going to be including hardware (10 M2 screws with 5 double female 10mm spacers) with these.

Options will include all of the top options in the interest checks, and the standard bottom (I'll provide the CAD files of everything so you'll know what you'll be getting). If there's enough interest, I may do an ALPS option with this run too.

oh very nice!

the atomic is the 60% you mentioned before right?

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 11:47:56 »

Have PCBs for plancks been made?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 15:58:41 »
Have PCBs for plancks been made?

PCBs are on the backburner for now! I have some prototyping parts coming in soon, and I'm gonna focus on getting those designs finalised over the holidays.

the atomic is the 60% you mentioned before right?

Yeap! The Planck and Atomic hand-wiring kits are going to go live (for sale) soon!

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 15:52:46 »
Hand-wiring kits are now for sale! Check out the website for details!

Offline deci

Re: [IC] Planck Keyboard hand-wiring kits are now for sale!
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 19:25:26 »
oh awesome. i wonder if the atomic would fit in any aluminum %60 cases...

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 23:20:03 »
oh awesome. i wonder if the atomic would fit in any aluminum %60 cases...

This was my initial goal with the Atomic project, but the screw holes in the standard 60% cases line-up right where the keyswitches are :/ No way around that, I'm afraid. I'd be able to line up a couple of them, but I think the posts would get in the way of it sitting flushly.

Offline deci

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 15:13:28 »
i see thanks.

well there might still be a way to mod a case to fit it.
i'm just trying to decide if i want a 40 or 60. definitely getting at least one for the matrix layout though.

have you thought about incorporating the case design into the plate like the infinity or gon skinny?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 22:34:29 »
Is it just me or are both of Jacks keyboard sites down?

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 23:03:01 »
Is it just me or are both of Jacks keyboard sites down?

planckkeyboard.com was down yesterday for a bit due to the ddos attacks going around, but both should be up now. My email's always open if you ever have questions!

have you thought about incorporating the case design into the plate like the infinity or gon skinny?

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of that design, and there's some additional production costs there, but if there's enough interest, I'll see what I can do!

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 09:47:42 »

planckkeyboard.com was down yesterday for a bit due to the ddos attacks going around, but both should be up now. My email's always open if you ever have questions!

Good to see its back up. No questions, I just wanted to put in an order for a 'grid' top and a bottom plate :)

Offline nandop

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:48:20 »
Made some pixel art for y'all!

I did it in 5 minutes, and looking at it now, I'll add a white border later.
Sprit 60%, White MX 78g Au | Planck Ortholinear 40% Clear MX | Phantom TKL Browns 110g Au

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:21:10 »
Atomic stuff: http://atomickeyboard.com/
Planck stuff: http://planckkeyboard.com/

New bottoms feature formed sides (bent up) with a hole in the left rear between the 2nd and 3rd columns. Will be 10mm tall. Atomic bottom technical drawings: http://atomickeyboard.com/assets/BOTJCK50-F.png
 and the Planck ones: http://planckkeyboard.com/assets/BOTSTD50-F.png . This will match the place that the USB port will be on the PCB. I may end up offering some sort of alternative for those that want it on the sides/other places/none at all. Please make your opinion heard if that's the case!

The new Atomic layout called Short space (http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/a9332cf39f669157f3c8f39330866f1c) is now available as well - the spacer bar is now centered on the F/J keys, and you'll have more 1.25u keys than you know what to do with!

I've just put in a modest order for this new stuff, so all pending and future orders will be shipped out next week, so things will be there in time for the holiday break if you're in the US! Actual pictures of things will come as soon as I've been able to take them.

I'm also working on a informational/educational site for those interested in learning how to hand-wire and code their keyboards. Watch out for that soon!
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 December 2014, 16:14:51 by jackhumbert »

Offline Data

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 00:32:33 »
I'm down for some Atomic plates after Christmas.  The new bottom plates look great man.

Offline fog

• actual synthetic
    • Solarized
Re: [IC] Planck & Atomic Keyboard hand-wiring kits are now for sale!
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 16:00:25 »
Here's my "atomic red":

Full Album
Ethan Schoonover / http://ethanschoonover.com
HHKB / Leopold FC660M + Clueboard PCB / Nullbits Tidbit / Various custom boards

Offline Data

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 21:53:26 »
Whoa.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 06:57:17 »

Whoa.

+1 amazing job.  So nicely done. 

Offline fog

• actual synthetic
    • Solarized
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 21:05:23 »
Here's a planck I just finished (though not yet sealed up on the sides... still thinking about that). Calling it my "tilt-shift planck" since I gave it a wedge shape.

Full Album

With Penumbra and a work-in-progress layout:

Three outward facing USB ports:

Offline Data

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 08:20:37 »
That's a cool idea.  Did you harvest a USB hub for the ports?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 09:43:27 »

This was in his Imgur descriptions.

Embedded my favorite Sabrent USB 2 hub http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2442H0 in the back using some more of Jack's mounting hardware.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 09:53:08 »
Might still be a bit early but any ideas on what the cost is going to be for the PCB's?
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Data

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 16:12:08 »

This was in his Imgur descriptions.

Embedded my favorite Sabrent USB 2 hub http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2442H0 in the back using some more of Jack's mounting hardware.

Thanks.  I can't be expected to read those.   ;D

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 16:16:05 »
Here's my "atomic red":

Show Image

Full Album

very cool layout :thumb:

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 11:45:38 »
Here's a planck I just finished (though not yet sealed up on the sides... still thinking about that). Calling it my "tilt-shift planck" since I gave it a wedge shape.

Here's my "atomic red":

Show Image

Full Album

Wow! I'm really jealous of your case  :thumb:

Full Album

With Penumbra and a work-in-progress layout:
Show Image

Three outward facing USB ports:
Show Image

The tilt seems to go great with the SA caps, very cool :thumb:

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 12:32:29 »
Might still be a bit early but any ideas on what the cost is going to be for the PCB's?

Still too early to have a definite price, but the goal is to be cheaper than the cost of a Teensy + diodes + wire when buying those thing for hand-wiring one.

Offline Data

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 14:50:45 »
Just ordered some plates.  Couldn't decide if I wanted shorty or semi-standard space bar, so I got both.  :D

Now just need that PCB!  I assume the internal mounting/hardware will change to accommodate the PCB, once that comes along.

Offline fog

• actual synthetic
    • Solarized
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 18:48:28 »
The tilt seems to go great with the SA caps, very cool :thumb:

I was on the fence about using the SAs vs DSAs, but I really love the penumbras and they sound and feel great on this board.

Offline fog

• actual synthetic
    • Solarized
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 18:51:14 »
Here is the current layout I'm trialing. Probably the fourth or fifth major revision I'm testing. Happy with almost everything. Still remapping my brain around the third fn layer.

The i3 layout keys are actually just keypad codes that I'm capturing and using for i3 window management. Same for the web/term keys.

(note: the bottom layer in that image has a mistake on the lower row - the correct version is here: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/bb0a863c49b37ae441cfb2fe5226c27d )
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 December 2014, 19:01:09 by fog »

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 20:50:34 »

Still too early to have a definite price, but the goal is to be cheaper than the cost of a Teensy + diodes + wire when buying those thing for hand-wiring one.
that's good to hear! i look forward to seeing it.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline SL89

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 12:33:23 »
Call me crazy, but is there any chance we might ever see a fullsize version?

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 14:11:59 »
Call me crazy, but is there any chance we might ever see a fullsize version?

Yeap! I'm planning on a TKL version and a full-size version, but I need to establish/figure out a decent standard for the 60% portion of the board. Something like this is what I have in mind as the main option, but the enter key (2x1 R2) isn't produced by any place I know of, and may be hard to get in sculptured profiles.

The fact that the home row shifts 0.75u to the left also messes things up a bit as far as hand positioning goes, but that's fairly easy to adapt to.

I may make these out of steel (possibly coated) rather than stainless to help the price stay below $20.

Offline SL89

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 14:41:58 »
great news all around, i think SP does a 2 x 1 key fwiw but i cant confirm that right now.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 13:02:44 »
Excited to see TKL version.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline beltet

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 13:40:41 »
Do you have any ETA on the PCB for Planck? And does someone have a tip to mod it to Bluetooth?

Offline nandop

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 13:32:42 »
Do you have any ETA on the PCB for Planck? And does someone have a tip to mod it to Bluetooth?

I'm working on that right now. I should be able to try out something with the Bluefruit module. I'll post results.