Author Topic: Buying original Ducky Shine 3 keycaps  (Read 5056 times)

Offline hey00

Buying original Ducky Shine 3 keycaps
« on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 15:17:45 »
Hello,

I'm new to the mechanical keyboards world. After hearing so much about them, and trying a few, I decided to get myself one. I bought a Shine 3, with brown switches, and I am satisfied.

Thing is, I live in France, but don't like the French layout (AZERTY), but I couldn't find a qwerty layout except by shipping it, and I didn't want to pay the additional fees (from what I saw, it was cheaper to buy it in France and get a new keycaps set shipped) and take the risk of having to send it back to the UK or US if I needed to use the warranty.

So now I am searching for replacement keycaps to make my AZWERTY into a QWERTY. I know there are many sellers selling Shine 3 keycaps, but I couldn't find one selling the same as the original. I don't want to change all the keycaps, just a few letters and the symbols keys, so I don't want them to look out of place compared to the rest.

Hence why I search for original Shine 3 keycaps. I emailed Ducky about it, asking them if they do sell them separately or if they can forward me to a retailer, I wait for the answer, so in the meantime, I thought I could ask here.

Since it's only keycaps, I'm ready to have them shipped from abroad, but can find a retailer selling those. Does any of you know about one that does?

Thank you

Offline qwack

Re: Buying original Ducky Shine 3 keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 15:30:14 »
You may be able to get ANSI keyboards and keycaps from Dutch sellers, maybe try alternate.be or mechanicalkeyboards.nl.

Otherwise, mechanicalkeyboards.com usually carries ANSI Ducky Shine sets (for the Shine 2, not 3), but
I don't think I've ever seen black Shine sets for sale, only dark grey/white/purple.

edit: my bad, if you have an azerty keyboard, you'll need an ISO qwerty set, not ANSI. overclockers.co.uk sells sets in ISO UK layouts: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?keywords=ducky&rows=0

I guess the grey keyset would be your best bet.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 September 2014, 15:46:01 by qwack »

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 03:13:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I also do not recall seeing black Ducky Shine keycaps for sale anywhere.

Your best bet might be to participate in the community for a little while, then post a WTB thread asking if anyone has some to sell.  Occasionally sets do appear in classifieds, so keep an eye out there in case someone is selling some.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 04:38:06 »
Here is a link to some Ducky Shine 2 Nordic ISO layout keycaps, but they are out of stock and I'm not sure they'll be able to get more: http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/S9C3-S109-NALB

Another option is to replace all the caps if you find another set you like. For instance if you don't mind the backlighting not shining through the caps, but only from behind and around the edges, there are lots of nice keycap sets available, either through Group Buys on this site or from online stores.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline hey00

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 15:16:34 »
Thanks for the advice. I will send some emails to some retailers, maybe I'll get some luck. Otherwise, yes, my best bet is probably buying from someone else who did mod their shine 3 and is willing to sell the unused caps.
I also really want the backlighting, so changing everything isn't the best option.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 15:17:18 »
I have a gray set for sale if you'd like that.

Edit: Nevermind, I see that you want it to match the rest of your set so you probably want black.  :))

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 07:40:54 »
I have a set of blacks from NA. I bought a set of purple and replaced the blacks. I don't see myself using them, I've kept them only because I am a keycap hoarder.
c h e r

Offline hey00

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 15:23:32 »
I indeed want black ones, and if possible from the UK layout. Ducky did answer my email:

Hello,
Currently no one sells Shine 3 replacement keycaps, but they should be incoming in the coming months. Our UK partner (Bosse Computers)will definitely have the keycaps when we ship it out.

I guess I will wait a bit, I'm not in a hurry for now.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:51:39 »
I indeed want black ones, and if possible from the UK layout. Ducky did answer my email:

Hello,
Currently no one sells Shine 3 replacement keycaps, but they should be incoming in the coming months. Our UK partner (Bosse Computers)will definitely have the keycaps when we ship it out.

:thumb: If that doesn't work out, mine aren't going anywhere.
c h e r

Offline hey00

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 01:28:44 »

Hello,

Thanks, I'll keep your name in mind.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 07:28:52 »

Hello,

Thanks, I'll keep your name in mind.

I'm selling Ducky SHine 3 WASDs and spacebars on my thread. Please take a look.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Bock

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 02:09:18 »
Hello,

I'm new to the mechanical keyboards world. After hearing so much about them, and trying a few, I decided to get myself one. I bought a Shine 3, with brown switches, and I am satisfied.

Thing is, I live in France, but don't like the French layout (AZERTY), but I couldn't find a qwerty layout except by shipping it, and I didn't want to pay the additional fees (from what I saw, it was cheaper to buy it in France and get a new keycaps set shipped) and take the risk of having to send it back to the UK or US if I needed to use the warranty.

So now I am searching for replacement keycaps to make my AZWERTY into a QWERTY. I know there are many sellers selling Shine 3 keycaps, but I couldn't find one selling the same as the original. I don't want to change all the keycaps, just a few letters and the symbols keys, so I don't want them to look out of place compared to the rest.

Hence why I search for original Shine 3 keycaps. I emailed Ducky about it, asking them if they do sell them separately or if they can forward me to a retailer, I wait for the answer, so in the meantime, I thought I could ask here.

Since it's only keycaps, I'm ready to have them shipped from abroad, but can find a retailer selling those. Does any of you know about one that does?

Thank you

Hello,

@hey00

I own a DUCKY Shine 3 YoTS with the English (QWERTY - ISO - UK) layout and for months, I've been looking for a remplacement set of keycaps to make my Shine 3 an AZERTY ISO French keyboard.

If you are still looking for the English layout for your Shine 3, would you agree to send your "French keycaps" in exchange of my "English keycaps" ?

Regards,

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 04:21:13 »
I am selling the WASD.

I am also selling the PBT engraved yellow keycaps.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 15:34:39 »
Out of curiosity, how much do stock Ducky WASD sets generally sell for on GeekHack?  I recently bought a used Ducky II YOTS [OMG, why has no one (outside of GeekHack) told me how awesome mechanical switches are!? The world has to know!] and it only has the red WASD keys.  They are an offensive eyesore on an otherwise awesome keyboard, and they have to go.  This thread is the first resource I've found for getting black Ducky keys.  I've already checked Amazon, eBay, Mechanical Keyboards, WASD, Max Keyboard, and, of course, Ducky Channel. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 16:31:13 »
Out of curiosity, how much do stock Ducky WASD sets generally sell for on GeekHack?  I recently bought a used Ducky II YOTS [OMG, why has no one (outside of GeekHack) told me how awesome mechanical switches are!? The world has to know!] and it only has the red WASD keys.  They are an offensive eyesore on an otherwise awesome keyboard, and they have to go.  This thread is the first resource I've found for getting black Ducky keys.  I've already checked Amazon, eBay, Mechanical Keyboards, WASD, Max Keyboard, and, of course, Ducky Channel.

If you pay more than $10 it's too much.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mecano

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 07:49:10 »
UK (Scotland based) Kustom PCs shop has 2 uk qwerty shine sets left, I got one from them (I'm in France too), price is very good (Numpad is in French, they seeemed to have had a mixed batch but hey qwerty it is in the end), check it : http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_30360.html