Author Topic: The LAN table!  (Read 5027 times)

Offline blackbox

The LAN table!
« on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 05:55:46 »
Just wanted to share my recent project. I wanted a table with integrated power and networking for 8 people. No table that I could find fitted my specifications and I wanted to build it myself anyway. So me and my friends got to work an made a Lan table:

Some specs:
3.05 meters long
1 meter wide
Weights 80 kilos
space for 4 persons per side
There a dedicated 76 by 50 cm area for each person
Each person has 4 power outlets and one network port
Its equipped with gigabit ethernet.
it uses cat 6 network cables.
It has a lockable power connector at the end.

Americanized specs(and yes I did use google):
10 feet 5⁄64 inches long
3 feet 3⅜ inches wide
Weights 176.36 pounds
space for 4 persons per side
There a dedicated 29.92 by 19.68 inches area for each person
Each person has 4 power outlets and one network port
Its equipped with gigabit ethernet.
it uses cat 6 network cables.
It has a lockable power connector at the end.

Sitting by the table now and it works really great! Comments and suggetsions are much apreciated.

Some pictures:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1K7_jlsnbRoVGhwMTdyMXF3VTg&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 September 2014, 06:04:57 by blackbox »
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Shiftshape

Re: The LAN table!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 03:56:48 »
Really awesome idea! Shame I no longer have any mates over to LAN and such, quite keen on building something similar myself.
On a side-note, just noticed the gdrive folder is called "Bord", Swedish craftsmanship by any chance? ;)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 04:45:06 »
Amazing. Yet simple.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 07:21:53 »
Really awesome idea! Shame I no longer have any mates over to LAN and such, quite keen on building something similar myself.
On a side-note, just noticed the gdrive folder is called "Bord", Swedish craftsmanship by any chance? ;)
Thanks, Quite close! Its not Swedish craftmanship but (real norwegian craftmanship™):P

Amazing. Yet simple.
Thanks. I wanted to build something that was had a simple design. I designed it so that it could be used for anything else (like boardgames). That’s why all the connectors are under the table top. Even if someone spills liquid it will not affect the electronics on in the table since the Cable management holes are placed so that it would drip on the floor
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 11:04:22 »
Cool. I'm considering something like this but I think I'd have to make it more mobile, where I could move it out of the room when not in use.

Have you used this with 8 computers yet? Any problem with running it on one circuit?

Offline blackbox

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 14:05:10 »
Cool. I'm considering something like this but I think I'd have to make it more mobile, where I could move it out of the room when not in use.

Have you used this with 8 computers yet? Any problem with running it on one circuit?
Well this LAN table is centaily not portable(nor was it intended to :) ). We (my friends and I) used 4.5 hours to get it up from ground level to 4th floor. But you can of course build a smaller table buildt around the same concept. We havent used the power outlets for all 8 persons yet but it has no problems at 4. It is of course very dependent on the load. Every electrical component is rated for 16 amps so that means that 3680 watts is max. That should be no problem to keep it under that wattage.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 September 2014, 14:23:01 by blackbox »

The LAN table!