Author Topic: Hello from Germany  (Read 2656 times)

Offline reejasp

Hello from Germany
« on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 07:20:31 »
Hello, I am new in the forum, I was reading for long time ago and I already bought my first mechanical keyboard and I want to learn from you in this things. This is the first one so I picked with USA caracters, I will try to pick in future another in ISO layout.

Thanks

Offline genkidama

Re: Hello from Germany
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 07:55:03 »
Welcome abroad in the wonderful world of geekhack  :cool:

Tell me what kind of keyboard mech you bought :-)

Have fun learning, buying, crying over your empty wallet :thumb:
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline redpandasocks

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 09:49:20 »
Welcome and I hope you enjoy your new board!

Offline chrisq

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 10:02:12 »
Hello, I am new in the forum, I was reading for long time ago and I already bought my first mechanical keyboard and I want to learn from you in this things. This is the first one so I picked with USA caracters, I will try to pick in future another in ISO layout.

Thanks

Welcome!

Personally I did the opposite. I first got myself a Filco Tenkeyless ISO.
Of all my purchases I regret this the most.
I'm now converted to ANSI/US layout and all my keyboards are of this layout except the Filco...

If you work/play with linux or programming I recommend you give ANSI/US a try, it feels a lot moe natural, and it quickly becomes obvious that the people designing unix and most programming languages were using this layout.

As a bonus it is also A LOT easier to get mechanical keyboards and keycaps in ANSI.

Offline l0calh05t

• Engineer / Musician / Geek
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:18:26 »
Welcome fellow newbie in Germany ;)

I have to agree with @chrisq, you can't beat ANSI layout for programming! I doubt it's easier to get mechanical keyboards with ANSI layout in Europe, though. Had to order mine from the US.
CM Storm QuickFire XT with MX Green switches
Logitech G400 | Logitech F710 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Offline chrisq

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:26:18 »
Welcome fellow newbie in Germany ;)

I have to agree with @chrisq, you can't beat ANSI layout for programming! I doubt it's easier to get mechanical keyboards with ANSI layout in Europe, though. Had to order mine from the US.

This is true, but they can be ordered with fre shipping and no taxes from sites like banggood.com  :thumb:

Offline l0calh05t

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:53:33 »
Really? How does that work? In any case, they don't appear to have any boards with green switches, or any keycaps that I like. But good to know anyways, thanks :)

This is true, but they can be ordered with fre shipping and no taxes from sites like banggood.com  :thumb:

Offline chrisq

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:05:00 »
Really? How does that work? In any case, they don't appear to have any boards with green switches, or any keycaps that I like. But good to know anyways, thanks :)

They label the goods with a smaller value, by doing this it passes through customs without issues.
Shipping is often free from China.

I've never seen green switches there, but they do have cheap poker 2's.

Offline l0calh05t

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:24:17 »
Ah, ok.

Tenkeyless isn't really my thing, but those Pokers do look nice

They label the goods with a smaller value, by doing this it passes through customs without issues.
Shipping is often free from China.

I've never seen green switches there, but they do have cheap poker 2's.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 19:17:27 »
yo what's up
here's what you do: stay away from everyone, buy your keyboards somewhere else, post pics n inevitably leave
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 19:19:12 »
welcome!

yo what's up
here's what you do: stay away from everyone, buy your keyboards somewhere else, post pics n inevitably leave

ill never leave u bb
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 19:33:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

+1 for ANSI, although I am probably biased living in Australia :p

One thing about ISO is that it is more difficult to find replacement keycap sets, if you ever plan on customising the keyboard, which you probably will once you see what others here have done.  A lot of group buys are now including ISO options, but there's always a few that don't, and off-the-shelf keycap sets often do not include anything except ANSI.

Which keyboard did you get?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 19:59:55 »
yo what's up

Sad but true.  There are hit-and-run users but there are those that stick around for the community. ;)

P.S. Welcome to GH reejasp!

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 22:07:58 »
Welcome! My family originates from Germany, (Misch) and thus I've always had a feeling of kinship.

Offline reejasp

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 03:17:08 »
Thank you for ur messages, I bought a Max keyboard Blackbird, I ordered to mechanical keyboards.com and I am still wating for it...  :eek: so don't worry that I will post some pics when it arrive. At moment I am checking all the topics and I will see if I can manage with this one or I need a different layout.. we will see

Offline genkidama

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 04:32:48 »
Stay strong with the ISO layout! :P We should be united, stay united and demand more ISO add-on packs :p

For me it's not an option to use ANSI as ISO is used at my university and we cannot bring our own board (i.e. it's too loud and the security is suspicous about it..), at work it's almost the same although the volume is negligible.

Offline chrisq

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 05:38:27 »
Thank you for ur messages, I bought a Max keyboard Blackbird, I ordered to mechanical keyboards.com and I am still wating for it...  :eek: so don't worry that I will post some pics when it arrive. At moment I am checking all the topics and I will see if I can manage with this one or I need a different layout.. we will see

That looks like a nice TKL, it also has a usb-hub which I miss on most of my keyboards.  :thumb:
Connecting the mouse to a keyboard usb-hub is the most convenient.

Offline reejasp

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 04:08:44 »
Here we have the pics! It arrive on time very fine, I had to pay taxes for it but at the end I have it installed, the only problem is that one led is not working, I will check information to see if I can change or what to do. If somebody knows if the garanty coverage that or how to fix just tell me

Offline chrisq

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 04:49:02 »
Here we have the pics! It arrive on time very fine, I had to pay taxes for it but at the end I have it installed, the only problem is that one led is not working, I will check information to see if I can change or what to do. If somebody knows if the garanty coverage that or how to fix just tell me

LEDs on keyboards are somewhat flaky unfortunately, and when you add to the equation that there are 100 of them, problems are not unusual.
I have a keycool84 with 2 broken LEDs myself.

It is probably covered by the guarantee, so you should probably just get in touch with the shops customer support and see what they recommend you do. Normally they will arrange for a return, and a keyboard that is sent back to you as the result of a repair should NOT trigger new taxes.

Best of luck  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 05:17:52 »
Congratulations on your new keyboard, and condolences that an LED is already dead :(

Although that can happen, it should not happen on a new keyboard.

Please contact the vendor and see what they can do about replacing it for you.

It kinda sucks that your first mechanical keyboard is defective - but this is usually not the case.  Of mine I have had one or two flaky MX blue switches (which is fairly common), but maybe I have been lucky!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 05:40:48 »
Welcome! ISO is my favorite! :D

Offline genkidama

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 07:09:33 »
My first mech was also defective (also the new mech I got sent as the guarantee covered a new one). After three times I got a working and totally fine and gorgeous mech  :rolleyes: :-* :-*
So don't let this keep you from loving your mech and getting other mechs for your new family you started today ;) :thumb:

Offline reejasp

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 07:22:48 »
I don't know what to do because for me is the same the LED, so if I have to send again to USA to repair... I think I will keep it with the broken led. I will use that key to put a solid key instead a transparent

Offline chrisq

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 07:52:52 »
I don't know what to do because for me is the same the LED, so if I have to send again to USA to repair... I think I will keep it with the broken led. I will use that key to put a solid key instead a transparent

This is what I did as well, a LED or 2 is just not worth the hassle and delay...
Congrats on your new mech  :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 17:06:18 »

LEDs can be replaced - you just have to open the case, desolder the old LED, solder in a new LED, and close the case.

This WILL void your warranty though.

It's a shame the manufacturer or vendor cannot arrange for a local electronics repair shop to replace an LED at their cost - that would save shipping defective keyboards around the world!

Offline genkidama

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 05:21:11 »
I also thought that they have a "local" shop for you to repair. It's a bummer, but as long it's only one LED it's no biggie. For me I need to sent it in again as it seems the controller is broken and the LEDs are not working altogether or cannot switch through LED modes (and the keys do not register)..