Author Topic: Keeping pad printed M13 keys from wearing out  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Keeping pad printed M13 keys from wearing out
« on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 15:11:22 »
Hey friends.

So I got one of those IBM M13 from that ebay seller just for the caps, and I've been wanting to use them on my SSK.

Kinda like what Tsangan did here:

My only problem is they are VERY pad-printed, like I can tell they are going to fade in no time, and that's stopping me from actually using them.

Are there any solutions to make them wear-resistant?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Keeping pad printed M13 keys from wearing out
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 17:05:35 »
Similar question here.

No definitive response yet.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 19:10:29 »
Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to prevent pad-print keycaps fading if the manufacturer didn't put protection in themselves.

At least, as far as I know.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 20:46:34 »
yes there is a way around, don't type on them lol
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline silas1128

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 22:32:55 »
I started the other thread because I have an M13 on the way for the same reason, except for use on a full size board. I will only be using the like Shift/Crtl/Etc keys and dying the other keycaps blue.

I think some spray on enamel will help significantly, but we'll.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 04:50:19 »
Another more temporary option is to try clear Plasti Dip. It will feel different (it's a type of rubber after all), but it's easy to remove if you put enough coats on and you can spray it in place and simply peel it off the parts you don't want it on. Added advantage that it will clean the surfaces you peel it from.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:37:59 »
if you want to use an auto solution like PlasticDip, try OptiSeal instead.  http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-seal.html

it won't last forever, but you can re-apply the product every few month.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 21:11:15 »
I know this is an old thread, so ridicule me if you must (though I won't be viewing replies, so ha).

If you want pad-printed legends to last, wash your hands before you sit down to type. Dirt is abrasive. I'm convinced that's what causes most of the wear on PP legends.

Of course some people have acidic skin, so this may not help them. But I've owned many PP boards, and I type a lot—and typing with clean hands, I've never seen any wear, ever.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg