Author Topic: what does your username mean?  (Read 8955 times)

Offline iri

Re: what does your username mean?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 04:32:26 »
I have no idea. I can't remember when I first used it, as it wasn't Runescape back in 2005, but it's my steam name which I've had for about 7 years... It might be from EVE actually. Maybe a randomly generated surname from there, and I went with the Russian sounding theme on all my subsequent accounts.
it's a perfectly valid russian last name derived from the word for "coil". by the way, i thought it was just your last name.

If you go on most other forums/games and find a guy called katushkin/katushkin89/IamKatushkin then it's probably me. I have no idea what it means though. But if I google it I get a Russian company that I have no idea what it does...
hm, i see a social network for bike riders (http://www.katushkin.ru/).
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline JackMills

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 08:55:28 »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Mills

I was looking for a name that seemed it could be mine. It is more or less an english translation of my flemish name. The little trivia is an added bonus. I change it to jamesmills if jack is taken or jacquesdumoulin if both english versions are taken.
When I was younger I used alter_ego as my nick, because it is  your alter ego. If it was taken I added pi, because I like the number.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 10:28:23 »
Or its origin.

Mine stands for:  doing every midget in korea

Jk. Or am i.
Oh I thought your name was a guideline for eating oreos. You have to drop them in "demilk". Well I guess you learn something new every day  :rolleyes:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 10:42:57 »
My name was my original name in Runescape with a maxed out account  :eek:

I hope you guys know what RS is :P

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 11:01:53 »
My name was my original name in Runescape with a maxed out account  :eek:

I hope you guys know what RS is :P
wish i didnt
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 11:04:18 »
I'd say over 80% of the people here know about rs T_T

Offline nahka

• Did you see that, Fio?
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 11:33:55 »
Still log in on OSRS occasionally.

Poker II
    Reds

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 14:53:22 »
I just resubbed haha
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:43:59 »

It's a bunch of old people keeping their childhood alive....I'd say $5/ month is worth that.. 

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:52:18 »
osrs?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:54:49 »
osrs?

Mmm... I don't know why.

Also, get over to the Dota 2 thread you :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:55:22 »
I got mine from the lady at Taco Bell that could never spell my last name properly. Once day she spelled it as 'Doogan' and for some reason it stuck with me.

I later found out that it has many horrible Urban meanings and was also a character in Mario....but I still decided to keep it.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Doogan

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:56:43 »
I got mine from the lady at Taco Bell that could never spell my last name properly. Once day she spelled it as 'Doogan' and for some reason it stuck with me.

I later found out that it has many horrible Urban meanings and was also a character in Mario....but I still decided to keep it.

why was a lady @ tacobell spelling your name ??

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:58:15 »

She had to take my name down for when they call out my order....and yes....I used to eat at Taco Bell. :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 16:00:18 »

She had to take my name down for when they call out my order....and yes....I used to eat at Taco Bell. :(

LOL.. i didn't know they did that @ tacobell.. i've only seen it at starbx

I STILL eat at tacobell @ 2 in the morning, because around my area it's between them and white castle..

2am is when my inhibitions unfold and my aversion to eating junk food disappears...

I am also prone to drinking and then playing video games @ such hour..

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 17:24:02 »

LOL.. i didn't know they did that @ tacobell.. i've only seen it at starbx

I STILL eat at tacobell @ 2 in the morning, because around my area it's between them and white castle..

2am is when my inhibitions unfold and my aversion to eating junk food disappears...

I am also prone to drinking and then playing video games @ such hour..
Sounds almost like how the demons and the undead rise at 3am

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 18:57:24 »
My name here is Rhee meaning milk, and Rab meaning 'to remove from'.  Ok, not really. Rab is just scots for Rob. and Rhee came from some fantasy book, Terry Brooks I think. I swap it now and then.

It's a bunch of old people keeping their childhood alive....I'd say $5/ month is worth that.. 
Show Image

I don't sub to the place, but I do pop in about every 6 months to annoy the old school. One day I may confess to the torture I inflicted on almost all runescape players.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 01:35:38 »
mine is just a little twist in my real name, just replaced c by z

Are you some descendant of the guy who created all that organ and keyboard music?

Mine's obvious and avatar matches. And Berserk's no ordinary manga; it's got larger than life characters who really mean something. From a religious point of view I do subscribe to what the character Gutz's all about.

you're right, I'm his reincarnate, unfortunately I'm now getting bore with musical instrument and moving to mechanical keyboard.
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 01:38:47 »
Mine's pretty simple.  Tag I used for anything FPS back in the day was Sentinel.  My friends just ended up calling me Sent for short so I've stuck with that.  Easy to remember.  Basically impossible to mispronounce.  Short and sweet.

Offline orangeju1ce

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:37:04 »
Oj

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 18:37:18 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 18:53:57 »
I wanted to register a throwaway account with the name user...which was of course taken. The first suggestion was user18.

It didn't end up being a throwaway account, and now it's a pretty consistent part of my online identity. I've had to get creative a couple of times though, as a lot of times it's already been taken by - you guessed it - someone else's throwaway account :P
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 19:17:41 »
Thought of it one day, and liked the Japanese sounding pronunciation, so I decided to claim it on Geekhack. Although I had lurked on and off for a few years for the longest time I didn't even use the account, until I began posting regularly on another forum with the same handle.

'Co-re-da' as I later discovered roughly translates to 'this is it'. I now use the handle on three different popular forums.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 08:28:56 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=11158.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43273.0

IT TOOK HIM A WHILE LADIES AND GENTS, BUT HE FOUND THEM! :D

Hehe I posted in the other thread but why not here too :D. My username here is CPTBadAss. CPT is the US Army's abbreviation for Captain. But CaptainBadAss was too long for a game or some forums so I shortened it. The origin is:

When I started to play StarCraft 2 kinda seriously, I wanted to have a fun name just to laugh at. All my friends had these serious nerd names and the pros all have names like Flash, Bomber, and Sniper.

One day I was pondering a change to my user name and was playing Crash Bandicoot: Return of Vortex. I was like...man, this game is so badass. And my name just struck me then.

So sup kids, I'm Captain BadAss :D

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 08:47:19 »
I think mine is fairly self-explanatory...

When I first registered here at GH over 5 years ago, I was a young high school student with a hobby of tinkering with old computers.

Those computers (I think my lab peaked at 7 in total) were located in my basement.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 08:57:56 »
yasuo name of japan but not mean weabo ;D
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline mreverything

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:06:06 »
I've used the name maxeverything before. My partner started using the name mrseverything. So I decided to try mreverything. I think it makes me seem like a full-of-himself jerk. It was a mistake.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:03:27 »
I think between the name and the avatar, it's pretty ****ing obvious what my name means.

- Oh really? I thought it was because you lost a bet...

Shut up! It's your name, too!
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:10:21 »
I think between the name and the avatar, it's pretty ****ing obvious what my name means.

Ur really a professor who's gone mad ?

Lets see this PHD and dooms day device..

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:20:32 »

Show Image

One need not have a PhD to become a professor. One needs merely to have a good working knowledge of a subject and be employed by an institute of higher learning in an instructional capacity.

As to the alleged doomsday device, if I were to theoretically possess such a device, I most certainly would not show it to anyone until I am ready to activate it. I've seen one too many self proclaimed geniuses show off their weapons to the self-styled "hero" only to have the weapon destroyed. No, I will not be making that mistake!

- Theoretically speaking, of course...

Yes, theoretically speaking.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:22:13 »
I think I posted in both of the other username threads that rowdy linked, but sure why not.

Hashbaz comes from the book of Isaiah.  It's part of a longer phrase that means something like "quick to the plunder" in Hebrew.  When I registered my Starcraft 2 account I wanted a unique name that sounded zergy, and I was aware of this phrase and its meaning seemed zerg-appropriate and it also sounds a lot like a zerg cerebrate or something, so I went with it.

At the time I didn't intend for it to become my regular online handle, but it has.  *shrug*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maher-shalal-hash-baz

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:51:50 »

Show Image

One need not have a PhD to become a professor. One needs merely to have a good working knowledge of a subject and be employed by an institute of higher learning in an instructional capacity.

As to the alleged doomsday device, if I were to theoretically possess such a device, I most certainly would not show it to anyone until I am ready to activate it. I've seen one too many self proclaimed geniuses show off their weapons to the self-styled "hero" only to have the weapon destroyed. No, I will not be making that mistake!

- Theoretically speaking, of course...

Yes, theoretically speaking.

No phd.. 1 too many movies..

Offline Chemisery

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 01:50:35 »
It's straightforward name meshing of chemistry and misery

I actually like chemistry but during was the college days we had this very demanding chemistry teacher that always make the lessons and exams very tough and there was once, after one of the exam my clique was discussing about the exam where one of classmate said "It's not chemistry but chemisery!" and the rest is history.

But the prob is that the spelling is quite close to chemistry, sometimes I would spell chemistry as chemisery.    :))
Filco MJ2 Ninja Brown TK + Iron Mask II + GMK Dolch
WTB:
Riptide MX
Cosmic Dusk V2 MX
Nebulus V2 MX
Interstellar Blue V2 MX

Offline sunshine

• my site
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 02:52:12 »
it seem obvious.Just in the real life,try my best to bring sunshine and happy to other.haha
cool~

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 02:53:44 »
Comes from a fantasy book , using it for almost a decade , almost never used so I stuck with it .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 07:15:07 »
I've been using mine for years and years with small variations here and there. My brother and I played Unreal Tournament a lot on LAN before high-speed internet was common. We usually played together as slip and trip with the same or similar player models. In UT2k3/2k4, we played as Romulus and Remus, which happened by happy accident.

The 84 isn't my year of birth, however. It's 42 x 2, with 42 being the meaning of life and so forth. I didn't want to use it, so I just multiplied it.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 23:12:44 »
0.9999... = 1

:))

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 23:21:46 »

Mogo is the best hero.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 04:57:13 »
No f***ing  clue what mine means. I think I made it up out of thin air one day and then continued using it.

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 05:50:52 »
Where do I request a new username?  :confused:
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline iri

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 06:26:49 »
Where do I request a new username?  :confused:
why do you even need a new username? you current one is awesome
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 06:28:43 »
mean of iri is jeaolusy :))
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 06:46:16 »
why do you even need a new username? you current one is awesome

This one was given to me, maybe I should stick with it even though I don't like it cos it represents a bad part of my life. I thought of going with my real name for a while now.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 11:04:56 »
Fragil1ty is a name that I have been using for gaming for years, it's just a gaming name for me and I've stuck with it.

Because I try and be quite good in the games that I take seriously, it has a spin on it because obviously 'fragile' means to break easily, easily broken whatever, but when in reality, I'm the opposite of that while gaming and what not, so I think it's a pretty cool name and what not.

I got the 1 instead of the I as I remember Fatal1ty doing it a few years ago and thought it looked pretty cool back then so I just stuck with it.
你搞砸了

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 11:49:00 »
Harwood wolfson. I'm very creative
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 15:45:51 »
I wish I had a meaning to my username...

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 17:53:38 »
pichu23 : fav pokemon & my birth date :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 16:43:33 »
I was a huge fan of the Ace Combat series when I played on my PS2, especially Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War. My name "Pixy" came from one of the major characters/pilots from the game: Larry "Solo Wing Pixy" Foulke. The "ADFX" part came from the experimental craft he flew at the end of the game when you fought against him as the final boss. Even to this day, no game ever grabbed me more than Ace Combat Zero. The Last of Us and Uncharted 2 are very close, but not enough to for me to say they're my favorite game of all time.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown