Author Topic: Hello everyone.  (Read 1538 times)

Offline reyalP

Hello everyone.
« on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 08:33:50 »
I have been reading this forum for the past week and decided to register. 

Currently I am looking for a 75% mechanical board and have been checking out the Race 2 and Keycool 84.

So, I decided to register here to get some ideas.

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Hello everyone.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 09:34:51 »
I have been reading this forum for the past week and decided to register. 

Currently I am looking for a 75% mechanical board and have been checking out the Race 2 and Keycool 84.

So, I decided to register here to get some ideas.
Welcome to Geekhack! The 75% form factor has some problems, including non-standard layouts and odd key sizes, which can make it difficult to replace the stock keycaps with new and different ones. Because of this, many people gravitate upward to a tenkeyless (TKL -- no number pad) format or downward to a 60% (no number pad and no F-keys or arrow keys).

I have an older model of the KC84 with white PBT keycaps. It is a lightweight and solid little board, and I find it fun to type on it. However, I am not very fond of Cherry mx switches (and currently, I think this board is only available with a clone of Cherry switches).

Another board that might be considered 75% is the Matias Mini Quiet Pro (or the Mac version, the Mini Tactile Pro). These boards have the best layout I have seen in a 75%-ish board, and I like the feel of Matias switches (an "Alps-inspired" switch).

If you move up in size to a TKL, there are many excellent possibilities with all sorts of switches.

If you move down in size to a 60%, there are several models, but two that come to mind are the Poker II and the HHKB Pro 2.

The Poker is far less expensive than the HHKB, it uses Cherry switches, and it has a standard layout with standard key sizes (but being 60%, it lacks F-keys and arrow keys in the primary layer -- you access these using a Fn key).

The HHKB Pro 2 is expensive and uses Topre switches; this is one of my all-time favorite boards. I like the HHKB for many reasons, but primarily for its form factor and layout, which turns out to be (for me at least) highly efficient and intuitive. I also like the overall design, styling, symmetry, switch sound/feel, and dye-sublimated keycaps of the HHKB.

Good luck with your keyboard choice!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 10:58:40 »
Personally, I recommend a TKL over a 75%, but if you're set on 75% don't let me change that.

Newer (any one made in the last 2 months or so) iterations the KC84 use kalih switches, a chinese made MX-compatible switch. In layman's terms, a Chinese knockoff.

The Noppoo choc mini on the other hand is genuine cherry switches in every iteration. It gets recommended a lot, as it's a favorite among 75% users.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 17:36:18 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

As the above guys (including one of our Bards) have observed, 75% layout could give you problems later on in regard to swapping keycaps.

Is there any particular reason why you want such a layout?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 19:12:04 »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline reyalP

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 20:24:14 »
Thanks for the help and advice everyone.  As mentioned above the KC84 and Race 2 have their limitations. That is why I haven't bought one.  I like the Noppoo choc mini but I can't find one anywhere.  I am open to TKL models as well.  I'm just looking for a really compact Keyboard with cherry browns.  I have a budget around $150 to 200 US dollars.  I someone could make me some recommendations on a TKL model I would greatly appreciate it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 September 2014, 20:28:26 by reyalP »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 21:26:34 »
As far as TKLs go, the (cherry MX) kings right now are the KUL ES-87, Filco MJ2, Ducky shine 3, and the CM quickfire rapid-I. In that order.

The KUL has the best build quality of any out of the box keyboard that I've ever used, the MX blue model hasn't been released yet, though. It's also my personal favorite of these 4. The Filco is a close second, but it has mildly limited availability in the US. The DS3 and the QFR-I are both backlit, unlike the other 2 keyboards I've mentioned.

This is just my personal opinion though, someone else will probably drop in with more to say than what I've said.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 22:00:28 »
If you think you might go for a TKL, I would recommend the Kul ES-87. You can even get it with mx clears, but it is also available with blacks, reds, and browns.

There are many good features about the Kul, including a very solid build and a wide range of configurations via DIP switches. Something that caught my eye is the ability to swap the Backspace and Backslash -- they even provide the keycaps for the swap. Speaking of keycaps, the weak point of the Kul is the stock keycaps, which are relatively thin ABS with lasered infilled legends. I would be inclined to replace the caps with a set of dye-sub PBTs, but that is something that could be done at any later time.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 22:46:13 »
Reviews of the KUL here.

Overall people seem very happy with it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline redpandasocks

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 06:38:21 »
I have the KUL ES-87 with browns (actually it's what I'm using to type this post hah) and I have enjoyed it immensely since it was purchased a few weeks ago.  It's actually my first mechanical keyboard but I'm already eyeing some others just because I like their form factor or want to try more switches.  So be prepared to have more than one.  Seems that it is contagious.  So far I haven't even really missed the number pad but I may one day get a separate one for bills.