Author Topic: Has anyone opened a Cherry MX RGB switch?  (Read 5243 times)

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
Has anyone opened a Cherry MX RGB switch?
« on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 17:42:09 »
I was wondering if anyone had opened a Cherry MX RGB switch, or if it is open-able at all, mainly so I could know if it would be possible to swap out the springs and stems so that I could make a cherry mx clear K70 RGB.

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Has anyone opened a Cherry MX RGB switch?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 18:49:50 »
I don't think anyone has as the RGB boards aren't out yet. I don't think anyone who has received a sample board from Corsair has the balls to take a loaner apart either.

I'm pretty sure you could though. From what I saw at I52 the housings look exactly the same as a normal Cherry switch, so it's possible.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 18:52:21 »
I don't think anyone has as the RGB boards aren't out yet. I don't think anyone who has received a sample board from Corsair has the balls to take a loaner apart either.

I'm pretty sure you could though. From what I saw at I52 the housings look exactly the same as a normal Cherry switch, so it's possible.

Oh they're out, just check here to see them all :)) :))

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 19:03:19 »
I've not been on that sub for a while, and I'm at work so Imgur and YouTube are blocked :(

But yeah, I'm pretty sure you will be able to take them apart in the same way.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 19:33:18 »
I doubt anyone is going to take one apart just yet

but soon
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline wes1099

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 20:51:05 »
I doubt anyone is going to take one apart just yet

but soon

That is what I said when someone asked me about taking the heat spreader of of the new haswell-e processors, and then I saw this happened even before they were released to the public.

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 21:19:15 »
Generally things like that come from engineering samples. As far as we know, the RGB only had internal samples, therefore, no leaks like that. Intel, on the other hand, distributes samples both internally, and externally.

retspiR will get his hands on one (I bet he has one already) and we'll see pics of it in a few days.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 21:32:41 »
Well it's exactly the same as regular Cherry switches, only difference is that it has clear casing.

So the process is the same, though since it's plate mounted so you'd probably have to de-solder all the switches to open them up.

I doubt they'd have the extra notches similar to custom plates where it's possible to open them without de-solder.

But yeah you can be the first to do it and post the progress on geekhack.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 01:36:58 »
I was wondering if anyone had opened a Cherry MX RGB switch, or if it is open-able at all, mainly so I could know if it would be possible to swap out the springs and stems so that I could make a cherry mx clear K70 RGB.

I don't see why you can't. The only difference is the material of the casing and a slight change in the mold where the LED would normally go. AFAIK, the stems, springs, leafs, etc are all identical to "normal" MX switches.

I still would rather wait for a version with standard bottom row keycap sizes so aftermarket keycap sets will fit.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:09:53 »
Well it's exactly the same as regular Cherry switches, only difference is that it has clear casing.

So the process is the same, though since it's plate mounted so you'd probably have to de-solder all the switches to open them up.

I doubt they'd have the extra notches similar to custom plates where it's possible to open them without de-solder.

That's what I figured. I would love to get one, but they are like $185 or something like that. Another thing is, the K70 and K95 are too big for me, I need to wait for the K65 RGB to come out before I will buy one.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:14:33 »

That's what I figured. I would love to get one, but they are like $185 or something like that. Another thing is, the K70 and K95 are too big for me, I need to wait for the K65 RGB to come out before I will buy one.

I would have to wait until the Corsair KWeFinallyStoppedBeingStupidAndHaveDecidedToUseAStandardBottomRow
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 21:36:42 »

I would have to wait until the Corsair KWeFinallyStoppedBeingStupidAndHaveDecidedToUseAStandardBottomRow

Agreed, but come on, it's Corsair, of course they're going to have something proprietary (or at least proprietary without a tsangan) for their boards.  That's what they live off of.  Just wait, they'll release some Tai Hao caps for their boards for $60-80 a set and people will hail them as revolutionary and game changing while Corsair laughs all the way to the bank.

Offline dantan

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 09:01:24 »

I would say DontBeStupidAndBuyCorsairUntilTheyActuallyProduceKeyboardsThatDontNeedToBeRMAed