Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1688 times)

Offline flipjsio

• flipjs.io
Hello!
« on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 18:07:41 »
Hello everyone! I've been a lurker to the site for quite some time now. Though I'm not new to mechanical keyboards, this is my first post here. My first purchase was Filco Zero TKL from KeyboardCo sometime in 2009, and also, Filco Majestouch Browns from EliteKeyboards, same year as well. In 2010, I got my AEKII, which became my everyday keyboard until now.

Now I'm back on using my Filco browns, because Im getting pain on my right forearm. Could be due to mouse being far away when using the massive AEKII.

I have Poker 2 (mx black) on the way from MisterDeal @ Amazon UK. Since Im getting used to using HJKL when using Vim (and ST3 with vintageous plugin), I guess I can live without the arrow keys. I might get HHKB in the future (no budget at this time), but for now, I think I will be happy with Poker 2.

Cheers!
AEKII † Filco MJ TKL Blues † Filco Zero TKL † KBP V60 Blues † HHKB2 Type-S † Infinity † The Planck

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 18:20:37 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

It's always nice to see new people joining and contributing to the community here. :)

Hope to see you around in the threads.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 19:15:05 »
Welcome!

AEKIIs are pretty big, aren't they. I've been looking for a NIB one for a while, doubt I'll ever find one, though.

I like my Filcos a lot. I'm using one right now, even.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 22:44:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

HHKB is 45g and light too, so if you do end up getting one it might help even more.

I swap between Model M and HHKB at home - the difference is huge ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline flipjsio

• flipjs.io
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 03:29:15 »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  Ive been wanting to get an IBM M, but the huge size scares me now. :)

If I like the Poker 2 form factor, I might get the HHKB. I'm not sure about the backspace location though. I guess it will take time to get use to to it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 September 2014, 03:35:45 by flipjsio »
AEKII † Filco MJ TKL Blues † Filco Zero TKL † KBP V60 Blues † HHKB2 Type-S † Infinity † The Planck

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:32:36 »
You'd be surprised how easy it is to get used to Backspace on the HHKB.  The problems arise when you try to switch back to a conventional TKL layout, and keep going \\\\ to backspace :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:41:22 »
Arrow keys are overrated.  Congrats on picking up the one true size.  :))  Welcome to the site.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:46:30 »
Arrow keys are overrated.  Congrats on picking up the one true size.  :))  Welcome to the site.

Mmmmmmmmmaybe.

Although if you like 60% AND want arrow keys, there is always the FC660C ...

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:55:25 »

Mmmmmmmmmaybe.

Although if you like 60% AND want arrow keys, there is always the FC660C ...

Still much prefer my 22Mini to the FC660C.  65% is such a perfect layout imo.  Wish there were more of 'em.  JD, get on it!

Offline flipjsio

• flipjs.io
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 07:03:39 »
I'm also thinking of getting the FC660. Its got arrow keys but still compact, and right-shift key is still big enough for my pinky.

I chose poker, just to test if Im going to like 60% keyboard. If its good enough for what I do, then I'll try the HHKB. If not, maybe the FC660. Having arrow keys is just convenient, plus when other people are going to use my computer, its there.

Thanks for warm welcome, guys! Appreciate it.

Btw, there is a captcha whenever I submit post. Will that go away after I reach a a number of posts or something? Thanks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 22:43:47 »
I'm also thinking of getting the FC660. Its got arrow keys but still compact, and right-shift key is still big enough for my pinky.

I chose poker, just to test if Im going to like 60% keyboard. If its good enough for what I do, then I'll try the HHKB. If not, maybe the FC660. Having arrow keys is just convenient, plus when other people are going to use my computer, its there.

Thanks for warm welcome, guys! Appreciate it.

Btw, there is a captcha whenever I submit post. Will that go away after I reach a a number of posts or something? Thanks.

Yes, Captcha will go away eventually.  It was not there back when I joined, so I'm not sure exactly how many posts, or whether it wioll disappear after a certain amount of time.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 02:06:30 »
Welcome! Poker II w blacks, very nice!

Offline flipjsio

• flipjs.io
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 14:41:00 »
Hi Dustin, Thanks. Unfortunately, the poker 2 blacks is going to a new home somewhere in Norway. I didn't like the blacks, too stiff for me. Also, I found out that I need the 4 bottom right modifiers as my dedicated arrow keys, cant do that with poker because of pn/fn using 2 of them already. So, after 2 days, I sold my poker.

Now, I got a v60, which is perfect for me. Now I have dedicated arrow keys (no need to press modifier or fn), and I can access all modifiers (pn/fn in poker is inaccessible)  in karabiner/keyremap4macbook. I set one of them as my Hyper key. Having backlit keys is also nice during the night.