Author Topic: Advice with getting a new mouse  (Read 3442 times)

Offline robin

Advice with getting a new mouse
« on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 08:18:16 »
Hello,

I'm looking into getting a new mouse, My current one a Logitech Anywhere MX has the double click problem - which I'm somewhat solved with a AutoHotKey script to ignore excessive clicks, but it's getting worse where clicks are now being ignored now (possibly to AutoHotKey). This is my second Anywhere Mouse, and my third Logitech mouse to have this problem.

Basically, I'm looking for a good dependable mouse where the microswitch isn't likely to die after six months of usage. I'm not interested in gaming mice (although I won't rule them out), nor interested in high DPI mices either. I'm just a programmer, and I just need a device that moves the pointer from A to B.

Looking around at the FAQs and what not, it seems to be that I control the mice via my fingers only and my palm hovers over it. I also have small-ish hands which is why I've always found the Logitech Anywhere so comfortable to use.

Anyway thanks for any advice,

Robin

Offline munch

• !
Re: Advice with getting a new mouse
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 13:53:32 »
is wireless a must? not a lot of options there unfortunately, if so.
but if not, you have the Logitech G100s (it is a Logitech indeed, but a bit better one, and affordable/cheap) which is small, good omron microswitches, very light weight (can even be modded to weigh even less, there is a metal disk inside of it) and 500-1000-2000 DPI options.

then there's the Zowie FK1, a bit larger but still considered small. very nice microswitches as well, huano I think, a bit harder to press but otherwise really solid buttons. 400-800-1600-3200 dpi options, no drivers needed.
also quite light. good shape and scroll wheel is decent on it.

roccat kone pure military - not really recommended if you want something less fussy. the drivers are not the greatest and it looks a bit 'gaming'-y. can handle 50-5000 dpi in 50dpi increments.
light weight, small, great button switches, awesome scroll wheel. bit more ergonomic than the fk1/g100s mentioned above.
even if the drivers are annoying, you only need to set it up once then you can uninstall it, since it saves the settings onto the onboard memory.

mionix avior 7000 - perhaps a bit bigger, but good buttons and great scroll wheel, and sort of lightweight. I used it with fingertip grip as well and it was nice. 50-5000 dpi in 50dpi increments, same sensor hardware as the kone pure military. perhaps a bit wide in the butt for fingertip grip for smaller hands though.

if those are too advanced, perhaps a budget would be good to know :p

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:18:04 »
roccat kone pure military - not really recommended if you want something less fussy. the drivers are not the greatest
even if the drivers are annoying, you only need to set it up once then you can uninstall it, since it saves the settings onto the onboard memory.
It isn't necessary to run them at all, thanks to razor_de's open-source libgaminggear and roccat project.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:26:00 »
The best mouse I've every used is the Razer Deathadder Black Edition. It is marketed as a gaming mouse, but I am not a gamer. When I was searching for a new mouse a few years ago, I looked for things like reliability, good scroll wheel that was easy to click as a middle button, and a good grip that did not become sticky after prolonged use. I found all these characteristics in the Razer DA Black. They are getting hard to find, and so I recently bought two extra -- these were from Amazon, but through sources in Asia.

Offline robin

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 02:09:49 »
Thankyou, all of you for your suggestions.

I've just looked through all those mice, in particular I had the Zowie already bookmarked - as for a budget I think between £40-60 is reasonable. Wired is fine, but I have been using Wireless mice for the last 10 years or so. If it's possible, I'd like to stay away from Logitech, as the previous mice I've bought have all broken - not to say all Logitech mice are like that, it's just my first hand experience.

Ideally, I just want a comfortable to hold mouse that the mouse buttons will last a long time, and a nice scroll wheel is a plus.  Reliability/comfort over function really :)

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 16:49:52 »
Gs700 or rat 9 both look interesting.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline HebrewHammer

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 00:09:25 »
I would take a look at the Zowie FK, FK1, EC2 (there are a lot of good mice from zowie that work well with smaller hands) or Kone Pure. Also if you have any electronics stores near you like a Frys I would go and see if you like the shape of a mouse if possible before buying.

I've tried the G100s in the past and returned it, the mouse felt really cheap and just wasn't all that comfortable. The dpi settings were convenient, but the FK felt much better. The FK also had side buttons which I really missed after using a mico for years.

The Roccat software isn't so bad, I didn't really have a problem with it. The Zowie mice are basically plug and play.

Friends Don't Let Friends Get Friends Haircuts...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 05:49:58 »
I've tried the G100s in the past and returned it, the mouse felt really cheap and just wasn't all that comfortable. The dpi settings were convenient, but the FK felt much better.

Careful about rubbishing the G100S because the hardcore mouse fraternity will skin you alive for those blasphemous comments defaming their favorite input device  >:( .

Out of those two mice the FK1 and G100S, the FK1 is pure class and comfort and is in a level way above in quality compared to Logitech's cheapo attempt  :thumb: .

Offline HebrewHammer

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 12:36:16 »
I've tried the G100s in the past and returned it, the mouse felt really cheap and just wasn't all that comfortable. The dpi settings were convenient, but the FK felt much better.

Careful about rubbishing the G100S because the hardcore mouse fraternity will skin you alive for those blasphemous comments defaming their favorite input device  >:( .

Out of those two mice the FK1 and G100S, the FK1 is pure class and comfort and is in a level way above in quality compared to Logitech's cheapo attempt  :thumb: .

When I got the G100s I had always wanted to get a MX300 or G1 after being an SC fanboy for so long, but I would never be able to wait so long for the mouse to ship to the US.

At the time going from a mico to a G100s was a little odd with the G100s being a little over 10mm longer. I also just couldn't stand the sides for some reason. For $35 or 40 at the time I thought I could do better for the money, the FK only costing a little more.

Now the G100s seems to be much cheaper and I would consider it good bang for buck. To me the logic was, "If I'm spending so much on a keyboard, why not spend a little more on a mouse?"

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 14:18:14 »
I dunno, my g100s felt super solid. it's very lightweight which may make it seem cheapo. but it's definitely not bad quality materials and construction, IME/IMO.
better scroll wheel and button feel than the FK'2014, and let's not even compare it to the Mico... :p

Offline HebrewHammer

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 15:13:14 »
I dunno, my g100s felt super solid. it's very lightweight which may make it seem cheapo. but it's definitely not bad quality materials and construction, IME/IMO.
better scroll wheel and button feel than the FK'2014, and let's not even compare it to the Mico... :p

Yeah, I can agree with the scroll wheel, it does take a while to get used to. It's not nearly as bad as the scroll wheel I had on the mico though. I always had problems with the scroll wheel not scrolling correctly.

Wheel would scroll up and down at the same time if I tried to go in either direction. I would try to blow as hard as I could into the mouse and would knock whatever dirt out and would work for a short amount of time. I eventually just got used to pushing the wheel and dragging. It may have just been a lemon, and I was delved too deep into SC to RMA.

Otherwise the shape wasn't terrible, sensor was fine at 800 dpi, but it collected a lot of dirt and I eventually wore out the mouse feet.

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 10:55:14 »
I highly recommend the Zowie FK1.  You can read details of what I think about it (along with my hatred for a Razer DeathAdder I tried first) here.