Author Topic: If you could only use one keyboard the rest rest of your life, why would it be Topre?  (Read 7963 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
@nubbinator: A "ghost black" is a black switch (linear) with a clear spring, correct? Therefore, a ghost black would be a lighter version of a black linear switch, whereas a clear is a tactile non-clicky switch. Although Topre and Cherry are not really comparable, I would suppose that a Cherry mx clear might be the closest Cherry mx switch to a Topre. In any event, I shall soon be able to test a keyboard with clears for myself.

Yeah.  It's lighter at the top, heavier at the bottom.  My favorite linear switch.  Clears are much heavier.  Ergo Clears are closet, but the feel is still very different.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
@nubbinator: A "ghost black" is a black switch (linear) with a clear spring, correct? Therefore, a ghost black would be a lighter version of a black linear switch, whereas a clear is a tactile non-clicky switch. Although Topre and Cherry are not really comparable, I would suppose that a Cherry mx clear might be the closest Cherry mx switch to a Topre. In any event, I shall soon be able to test a keyboard with clears for myself.

You're correct, a ghost black is a black stem with a clear spring. However, the clear spring is heavier than the black spring and also has a slightly different force curve. A clear spring has a steeper force curve, meaning it starts out lighter than a black spring but gets heavier faster.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Hypersphere

Thanks for the clarifications and amplifications on the "ghost black" hybrid switch!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
I do concede that Topre sliders move more smoothly than those in new MX switches. All the new MX switches I own seem to be at least a little bit "grindy", although it goes away after a good wear-in.

I stick with my verdict, though, that currently there are no Topre boards that I could consider using as "the one" for the rest of my life. Once you've tried a proper ergo board, you can't think of a "normal" layout board as the ultimate no matter how good the switches are. It's very hard to make a custom board with Topre switches and there are no ergonomic layout boards using Topre switches. So for now, I'm a MX guy. Not to mention that I love to modify my switches and tune them to my taste. Again, not possible with Topre. Then there are keycaps. They can change both the look and the feel of the board, due to material, profile and mass. How many different aftermarket keycap sets are there for Topre? What can I say, I like to have options.

Ergo  Clears and Ghost Blacks are love.

Err, I mean Topre 5ever.

+1. Ghost Blacks are my favourite linear switch. Favourite tactile are ErgoClears, 2nd favourite are "Panda" Clears (Clears with Black spring). I don't like MX clicky switches, as I feel the click is rather contrived and high-pitched. Sounds rather cheap to my ears and I don't like the hysteresis they have, too.

I have yet to try an Alps that I really like (old Apple IIc and a calculator with Alps switches are all I've tested so far, though). Going to get some Matias clicky and silent switches to try, but I think it will take a lot to beat the customised Clears I'm currently using.

I may also end up getting a Topre board for experimenting with (probably a Realforce 55g). xwhatsit has inspired me to try some capacitive sensing experiments and I'd like to try making a Topre version of my ergo layout for the challenge and to see how it feels.  :D

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
hå-hå-kå-be
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
hå-hå-kå-be

hå-hå-kå-be to pe-är-o?

... hvorfor Topre?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Macsmasher

Well, everybody's Topre experience is different and very personal. In my case, when I type on my Topre boards, I can hear Shania Twain sing her hit single, "I Want to Be On my Knees Under Your Desk". It's hard to explain...but while coding throughout the day, her golden voice, dripping with sensuality, caresses my ear drums while my fingers tickle her boobies as I type.

Don't tell anybody about this. I'll deny all of it unless you have pictures...

Offline pr0ximity

Well, everybody's Topre experience is different and very personal. In my case, when I type on my Topre boards, I can hear Shania Twain sing her hit single, "I Want to Be On my Knees Under Your Desk". It's hard to explain...but while coding throughout the day, her golden voice, dripping with sensuality, caresses my ear drums while my fingers tickle her boobies as I type.

Don't tell anybody about this. I'll deny all of it unless you have pictures...

Well now I'm feeling pretty good about my Realforce being delivered on Tuesday.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
my poker 2 :-)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

You have Topre switches in your Poker? :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero

I don't like tactility :eek:

Lubed 62g reds for nowwww, waiting for my vintage blacks from Lurch! ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Vintage blacks are smooooth :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

#overrated #hypetrainderailed

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"

vintagefrican americans*
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

vintagefrican americans*

They prefer the term multigenerational switches of color.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
I like it baby-ass smooth :P

hey hey hey what's with the colours u all know rainbow is superior

Offline Hypersphere

You can register your vote on the Topre-switch keyboard poll that I started recently:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62923.msg1474738#msg1474738

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
Kidding with the title, but I think I'm starting to get it, at least with the HHKB.  I just don't understand the fanaticism still.  What drives the almost religious fervor around it?

It wouldn't. MX > Topre imo.

But everyone is different and we all have different opinions and preferences. I love MX reds and I think this is going to be the switch for me for a very, very long time, maybe there's others out there that feel the exact same way but about topre keyswitches.

/thread.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 September 2014, 22:43:00 by Fragil1ty »
你搞砸了

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

Offline pbtforever

Clack

Oops wrong thread ignore

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
Because when you get old and weak you will only be able to lift a cheap plastic keyboard instead of a real solid model with plenty of steel in it.

Like our Model Fs? You know I bet in a home invasion, I can just whack the s**t out of the robber with my aircraft carrier...
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline johndavis33

Because they feel like boobs.

I can't think of many things I particularly like about topre switches. They are very snappy on the release, which is nice. The main reason I can't use lighter MX switches is because they barely apply any force at all to your fingers as you lift them up.
I also can't think of anything I really don't like about topre switches. They're just rather unassuming to me.

But if I were to use one keyboard for the rest of my life, it would have a trackpoint.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS