Author Topic: Best Budget Trackballs  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
Best Budget Trackballs
« on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 21:17:53 »
Hey Geekhack, I was just wondering what my options would be for great budget trackballs. I'm looking for something that won't take up too much deskspace and is fairly ergonomic with decent build quality. Currently with my laptop, the trackpoint is getting quite annoying to have to reach over my mech keyboard to have to use it, so i think i finally want something that I can reach a little easier. Any recommendations would be amazing.

Offline jacobolus

Re: Best Budget Trackballs
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 22:10:35 »
I’d look for used logitech or kensington trackballs on ebay.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 22:35:20 »
I use the Wireless Trackman at work. Can't recommend it enough. It can be found as low as $15 new.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570?crid=8
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 23:44:05 »
I picked up my Kensington Slimblade for $50 used. Might be a little more than you were hoping to spend, but I think you'll find that it's worth it. personally, I could never get used to the Logitech Trackman series.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 00:20:40 »
Might also check out the Sanwa products.

There's one kind of like a wired M570, and one that's got a large centrally-mounted ball that's comfortably shaped, but doesn't scroll as smoothly as a $150 CST.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 06:24:47 »
I use the Wireless Trackman at work. Can't recommend it enough. It can be found as low as $15 new.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570?crid=8

I personally don't want a trackball that I have to move with my thumb, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

I picked up my Kensington Slimblade for $50 used. Might be a little more than you were hoping to spend, but I think you'll find that it's worth it. personally, I could never get used to the Logitech Trackman series.

50 USD is fine. Anyways, how large is the slimblade on your desk? I have a fairly cluttered desk, and smaller trackballs are better.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 10:11:01 »
I use the kensington orbit with o-ring and it's very comfortable and cheap.  I also own the slimblade and expert mouse, but they are much more expensive.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 11:21:44 »
I actually like the Kensington orbit. How precise is its tracking, and how smooth is the trackball?

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 14:47:42 »
I actually like the Kensington orbit. How precise is its tracking, and how smooth is the trackball?

the tracking is excellent.  I use it at work and I have no issues with it while using photoshop.  It actually only takes my index finger most of the time to control it.  My middle finger sits on the O-ring and my thumb and ring finger handles the buttons.  The trackball is very smooth.  I can control it with very light touches.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 16:07:11 »

the tracking is excellent.  I use it at work and I have no issues with it while using photoshop.  It actually only takes my index finger most of the time to control it.  My middle finger sits on the O-ring and my thumb and ring finger handles the buttons.  The trackball is very smooth.  I can control it with very light touches.

Looks like I found myself a new trackball :D

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 23:21:36 »

Looks like I found myself a new trackball :D

yea.. for $30, you get a pretty solid trackball. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=674256&gclid=CL-M-5Oz58ACFYMF7AodUy4AxQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 22:46:02 »
I use this at work:

And this at home:

Best trackball style for me, I'll use one the rest of my life if I can. Cheap and relatively compact. Got the older one for free and the newest version for $20 at Best Buy.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 01:12:13 »

An important thing for noobs to remember: Kensington actually designed their trackballs with the natural oils of the human hand in mind. So if you get your mouse new or wash the trackball with soap, it is stiff and awkward for at least a few days until you use it enough.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.