Author Topic: Help with my flaky Model M  (Read 1163 times)

Offline davestradamus

• techMEDsupport.com
Help with my flaky Model M
« on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 10:07:54 »
Hello,
     I have recently found a great Model M keyboard.  I used to have a similar keyboard years ago and forgot how nice a mechanical keyboard is.  It doesnt help my spelling though.....

The problem I am having is with the number keys above the letter section.  Some of them work with a few hard presses, while others not at all.  Will the bolt mod fix this?  I dont mind taking it apart and trying a few things, since I like to work with my hands.

Also, I have gutted some rubber dome keys to make some key caps to replace some missing ones.  Although, they look like mushrooms I rather like them!

Turbo Power baby!

Thanks!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: Help with my flaky Model M
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 10:09:16 »
Does the keyboard rattle at all if you lift it up and tilt it around? This could indicate broken rivets, which in some cases can cause the problem you describe.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline davestradamus

• techMEDsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 10:18:05 »
There does appear to be a slight rattle inside the case.  Like a very small plastic bead.  Maybe this is a piece of a rivet??

Thanks!! :thumb:

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 10:19:37 »
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline davestradamus

• techMEDsupport.com