Author Topic: Cherry MX o ring questions  (Read 2674 times)

Offline IBIubbleTea

Cherry MX o ring questions
« on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 13:08:55 »
Hey guys, I have been looking at o rings for my cherry mx keys for while now and I was wondering what kind of thickness and hardness should I be getting? I always bottom out my keys. I play a lot of competitive fps shooters and like to type. Also whatever has the best damping noise reduction would be best because my friends upstairs can hear my typing.. lolz. Keyboard I'm using is the K70 w/ cherry mx reds.

Thanks.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 September 2014, 13:26:45 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline IBIubbleTea

Re: Cherry MX o ring questions
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 13:50:59 »
There are a few of these on ebay.....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150pcs-White-Keycap-Rubber-O-Ring-Switch-Dampeners-For-Cherry-MX-Replace-Part-/321509165105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adb708831&_uhb=1

Read here:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40227.msg796403#msg796403

The one you linked, I kind of find it way to thick, at 1.5mm I think is way to much. I have been looking at 0.2mm and 0.4mm. Just can't really decide on hardness. I can get 0.2 and 0.4 at 40a and I can get 0.4 at 50a.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 15:16:44 »
the difference between 40a and 50a is minimal, I say get whichever is cheapest.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline IBIubbleTea

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 15:46:11 »
the difference between 40a and 50a is minimal, I say get whichever is cheapest.

Oh, I thought 40a was squishier while 50a is harder.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 16:35:48 »
that's right

it's not a huge difference, though

I'd get 50a tho, i prefer a harder bottomout

i use 50a on my QFR and my miniLA
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 17:03:57 »
You can also by a sampler kit, like this one from WASD: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/sampler-kit.html

Although when I bought mine a while ago there were three or four different O-rings (now only seems like two).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 18:09:00 »

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150pcs-White-Keycap-Rubber-O-Ring-Switch-Dampeners-For-Cherry-MX-Replace-Part-/321509165105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adb708831&_uhb=1

Read here:

The one you linked, I kind of find it way to thick, at 1.5mm I think is way to much. I have been looking at 0.2mm and 0.4mm. Just can't really decide on hardness. I can get 0.2 and 0.4 at 40a and I can get 0.4 at 50a.

There are others on ebay. At $2.00 you can afford to get 5 different types for what you will pay here for them.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline IBIubbleTea

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 20:15:55 »
Might just get the 50a 0.4mm thickness, they cost around 10.00 but 7.60 shipping..? Ugh. Just kind of worried that it won't dampen the noise as well as the 40a.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 20:39:00 »
If noise is still a problem you could always do a drawer liner mod...

Offline IBIubbleTea

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 00:47:51 »

What do you mean?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 00:58:54 »

What do you mean?

Get some drawer liner and put it under the keyboard.  This will dampen the sound echoing from the desk.

If it is still too noisy, put a layer (or two, depending on the keyboard case) inside your keyboard to further dampen the sound.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 05:34:55 »

Read here:

There is some misinformation in CPTBadass' review.

Just so you know, the quoted reduction in movement (0.2mm or 0.4mm) is not the same as the thickness of the oring. In fact, the reduction will change depending on the keycaps used, so the figures quoted on some sites for this figure are not universal.

Most orings are between 1mm and 2mm thick, with most of those sold for keyboards being 1.2mm or 1.5mm.

From what I've seen of the Corsair K70 keycaps, the crossbraces seem to be quite standard for OEM profile caps, so all the orings should work and give the stated travel reduction. Be aware that if you ever change the keycaps (although it'll be hard to find a set that fits due to the non-standard bottom row on that board), you may have to order different orings to get the same bottom out feel.

I always recommend rather trampoline modding switches than using orings (since the mod is more adjustable for personal preferences and is inside the switch so you don't have to do anything when changing keycaps), but it requires desoldering the switches on the K70, so it's a lot more work to do.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.