Author Topic: Am I going to die?  (Read 8353 times)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Am I going to die?
« on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 00:44:57 »
I accidentally took a whiff of aqueous ammonia (those that you find in labs back in your middle/high school days), just one small inhale worth of it. Will I die? :-(

It felt bad but I'm a little bit paranoid now even though I feel kinda ok.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: Am I going to die?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 00:45:46 »
Google it? Call poison control?

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 00:55:02 »
I'm no doctor, but I think you will be fine. Do you really think they would allows high school students to use deadly chemicals?
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Am I going to die?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:00:08 »

I'm rather more scared as I google this...

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:02:02 »

I'm rather more scared as I google this...

Did you take a little sniff or inhale a huge lung full?

If you're feeling ****ty, hit up the hospital.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:02:41 »
One small inhale is unlikely to cause any symptoms, unless you have an underlying medical condition.  That article seems to cover "severe short term exposure".

However, I am not a doctor.

If in doubt, stay at home with someone else and brief them on what has happened, so they are prepared to call emergency just in case.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:04:05 »

One small inhale is unlikely to cause any symptoms, unless you have an underlying medical condition.  That article seems to cover "severe short term exposure".

However, I am not a doctor.

If in doubt, stay at home with someone else and brief them on what has happened, so they are prepared to call emergency just in case.
Already at home so I guess I'll inform my mom on what to do if I happen to faint etc

Offline iri

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:06:35 »
(didn't read the original post) Yes, you are.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:08:08 »
(didn't read the original post) Yes, you are.

Such fatalism, iri :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:08:46 »
You're going to die.
Absolutely.
It'll be a meaningless death devoid of glory and honor.
Kiss your wife and children goodbye.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:12:29 »
See you guys in GH Heaven.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:20:29 »
I'm no doctor, but I think you will be fine. Do you really think they would allows high school students to use deadly chemicals?

Have you ever taken a chemistry class? Of course they do.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 02:08:41 »
Silly human, the universe has perfect accounting, no information is lost, existence is only ever translated. therefore no one can actually die or disappear, they are merely redefined and recompiled. should your current form ever be necessary, enough reverse entropy can easily reconstitute you.  that is to say, one should live honorably and gloriously, such that he'd be called upon on the day of heros.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 02:13:00 »
This thread just got real Klingon

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 02:45:57 »
Frosty,

Are you still with us?

Note to Frosty's family - Don't worry, we can help find his collection a good home...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 03:01:50 »
Why yes, I am!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 06:00:19 »
2 hours 15 minutes and still going.

It is now something like 2 hours since the above post, which was frosty's last one.

Still there?

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 06:08:24 »
Still alive and kickin'!

Looks like I'm not about to die just yet, I haven't even seen a custom artisan yet!

But who knows... It's 7pm here and bedtime will come in another 3-4 hours. I may never wake up once I fall asleep...

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 06:28:23 »
Still alive and kickin'!

Looks like I'm not about to die just yet, I haven't even seen a custom artisan yet!

But who knows... It's 7pm here and bedtime will come in another 3-4 hours. I may never wake up once I fall asleep...
Stay frosty
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 06:43:47 »

yes, before that too.
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:49:14 »
You are going to die.

I am old enough to have worked in architectural and engineering offices back when blueprints were the standard of the industry.

I probably spent dozens, if not hundreds, of hours during the 1970s-1980s in the "blueprint room" running the blueprint machine which exuded ammonia fumes. After I got used to it (probably by burning out certain receptors in my nose) it did not bother me all that much.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:50:59 »
You are going to die.

I am old enough to have worked in architectural and engineering offices back when blueprints were the standard of the industry.

I probably spent dozens, if not hundreds, of hours during the 1970s-1980s in the "blueprint room" running the blueprint machine which exuded ammonia fumes. After I got used to it (probably by burning out certain receptors in my nose) it did not bother me all that much.

Damn, you are dead and just don't know it yet.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:56:13 »
You are going to die.

fohat is old and crusty, he's probably been dead for a while
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:02:54 »
You are going to die.

/ head scratch..

are you saying that, or are you philosophizing that. .

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:05:50 »
You are going to die.

/ head scratch..

are you saying that, or are you philosophizing that. .

But all this ammonia!! How can??? Or maybe it's not that bad and OP is ok?

Would be sad if Fohat was not here to help me with the model F anyway!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:09:07 »
About 12 hours after the tiny bit of fumes entered my nostrils.

Glad to say that frosty is currently fine and is about to wind up his day, will head to bed in a hour or two.

If I don't wake up however...

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:12:31 »
You will die.

Someday...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:14:18 »
You will die.

Someday...

what's up clib....glad you're not dead!(and frosty to) ;)

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:14:43 »
You will die.

Someday...
i sentence you to death by old age
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:20:08 »

Ray! How've you been? Life's been a bit busy lately, therefore my post frequency has greatly decreased.

I still frequently lurk though...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:21:16 »

Ray! How've you been? Life's been a bit busy lately, therefore my post frequency has greatly decreased.

I've been lurking more as well!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:22:05 »

stop lurking spam.. GH is ghosting..

I can't be expected to come up with like 35% of the active content on my own.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:23:19 »

aqueous ammonia, connecting people
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:24:20 »

lets start a social media
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:24:48 »

Hail science!
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:35:37 »

Hail science!

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:38:25 »
I just thought of a great idea!

Since someone said that aqueous ammonia connect people, why not let me inhale more so that you guys can come down to my funeral!

wait a sec...
wat

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:39:36 »
ps. how does one get a title like HHKB Otaku or titles like iMav's "babysitter"

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:41:41 »
pm mods aboot that and ask for one
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:42:04 »

Contact your friendly neighborhood moderator.

Dammit, ninja'ed by pai...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline iri

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:46:07 »

Since someone said that aqueous ammonia connect people, why not let me inhale more so that you guys can come down to my funeral!

wait a sec...
wat
Singapore is too far away,  but I will raise a glass in your memory.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:50:12 »

wait a sec...
wat

whawt?

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 10:48:29 »
Update: A tiny bit of ammonia smell still lingers in my nose. Not sure if it's placebo or it really is that some of the fumes settled in my nose. Will sleep now and hopefully be able to wake up without that darn smell still stuck in my nose and more importantly, alive and not mutated.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 10:54:44 »
Update: A tiny bit of ammonia smell still lingers in my nose. Not sure if it's placebo or it really is that some of the fumes settled in my nose. Will sleep now and hopefully be able to wake up without that darn smell still stuck in my nose and more importantly, alive and not mutated.
polt tiwst
you wake up with the smell in ur nose and mutated
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 10:58:09 »

Well that's good news and bad news. Nothing wrong with some nice mutations.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:02:26 »

Well that's good news and bad news. Nothing wrong with some nice mutations.
hey i can see you made the moost of it
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 13:52:49 »
If you become a Witcher, can I visit you?
Always wanted to visit Singapore ... and I'll even leave my gum behind (is that still a thing?)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 13:59:32 »
If you become a Witcher, can I visit you?
Always wanted to visit Singapore ... and I'll even leave my gum behind (is that still a thing?)

wha????  what is this reference from.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 14:00:16 »

No but they might of built the school out of it :x

Asbestos don't know how it is over there but here nearly every old building has a ton of it :/
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 14:02:15 »

No but they might of built the school out of it :x

Asbestos don't know how it is over there but here nearly every old building has a ton of it :/
We did asbestos removal at my last job! Fun times.