Author Topic: Logitech releases the G910 Orion Spark RGB Romer-G Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 12416 times)

Offline exit

http://www.techpowerup.com/205349/logitech-unveils-the-g910-orion-spark-rgb-mechanical-keyboard.html

With exclusive Romer-G (Omron) mechanical switches rated to 70 million keystrokes, Logitech jumps on the RGB mechanical train.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:01:59 by exit »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Logitech releases the G910 Orion Spark Romer-G Mechanical Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 07:43:45 »
Romer-G eh?

hmmm... 70million LOLOL... i doubt most people make it to 10 million in their lifetime.

Offline janvkn

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 07:44:18 »
That keyboard looks like it was designed for 12 year olds. Yuck.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:01:03 »

News flash.. 

Video games are for children

People buying mechanical keyboards are predominantly CHILDREN..

If you play video games, you've not grown up...   

Therefore, your aversion to said-kid-product is a contradiction to your own self.

I'm not saying you need to grow up, or that video game is bad, or that I'm any better..

Do no misunderstand...   I am merely explaining that your angst is misplaced and hypocritical.

Offline Tempest790

Re: Logitech releases the G910 Orion Spark RGB Romer-G Mechanical Keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:06:05 »
The main thing I want to see (like this keyboard) is less light bleed than the Corsair RGB MX.  That keyboard does look horrible though, but I'm still waiting for an RGB Ducky or something similar.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:08:09 »
I'm assuming they're jumping on the cherry clone train for this

Offline jameslr

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:11:17 »
News flash.. 
Therefore, your aversion to said-kid-product is a contradiction to your own self.
I'm not saying you need to grow up, or that video game is bad, or that I'm any better..

Do no misunderstand...   I am merely explaining that your angst is misplaced and hypocritical.

I know better than to feed the tp troll, but I'll go ahead and throw you a biscuit. What exactly does a "grown up" do then? Read archaic literature, go to plays, and swill brandy? Video games are for everyone and it doesn't mean you've not "grown up" if you play them. You are implying that the activity of playing video games is for immature people. You are wrong, that is all there is to it. :)
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:15:57 »
News flash.. 

I know better than to feed the tp troll, but I'll go ahead and throw you a biscuit. What exactly does a "grown up" do then? Read archaic literature, go to plays, and swill brandy? Video games are for everyone and it doesn't mean you've not "grown up" if you play them. You are implying that the activity of playing video games is for immature people. You are wrong, that is all there is to it. :)

Yes video games are for immature people... I do not claim to be "mature"..

Video game to Children can be a learning experience..

Video games to Adults, who have mastered most gaming concepts, are a mere diversion from OTHER things they could be doing...    Things with higher potential payoff..

These are not absolute terms, no,   but the majority of us PLAY video games knowing they have nothing much left to teach us...  and for the sole purpose of simulating-Progress and an evanescent sense of achievement..

I am right.. and it is you who are both shortsighted and in denial of the choices you make..

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:24:48 »
News flash.. 

Yes video games are for immature people... I do not claim to be "mature"..

Video game to Children can be a learning experience..

Video games to Adults, who have mastered most gaming concepts, are a mere diversion from OTHER things they could be doing...    Things with higher potential payoff..

These are not absolute terms, no,   but the majority of us PLAY video games knowing they have nothing much left to teach us...  and for the sole purpose of simulating-Progress and an evanescent sense of achievement..

I am right.. and it is you who are both shortsighted and in denial of the choices you make..

you're not right - as your post doesn't represent everyone, just your opinions of everyone. Which means - it's anecdotal evidence, which means = BS.

Cite some sources, then you can be right.
I got boards.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:24:55 »
lol I made another post about this but I think it was under approval while this post was being made, I guess I'll just post it here:

This is what under the keycap look like:

https://www.facebook.com/logitechgaming/photos/a.196540319870.127238.96895859870/10152667296004871/?type=1&theater

Out of the 3 RGB keyboards I think this is the least good looking one.  It's like you guys said it looks like it's made for 12 year olds.

Just when I thought Logitech is stepping it up on mouse designs, I guess their keyboard design is still fail.

I am a bit curious about their new switch though, it is the first true "new" switch in a long while.  Hopefully it will turn out good.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:27:36 »
"This keyboard is the culmination of years of ongoing development by our engineering team"

Now all they need is a design team, as that is the ugliest keyboard I have ever seen.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:36:34 »
"This keyboard is the culmination of years of ongoing development by our engineering team"

Now all they need is a design team, as that is the ugliest keyboard I have ever seen.

They do have some substantial experience with Omron switches -- and selling mice and keyboards.  It isn't to my cup of tea, but perhaps my 12YO and 15YO sons will find it compelling.  Al Logitech will have to do is sell them for this to be a design win.

Because, frankly, they weren't ever going to make a keyboard that would both sell and appeal to geekhackers!

Now, about those switches...

I like Omron switches, and would be interested in trying a keyboard version.  Are they available as spares?  Can we get specs and make a proper TKL keyboard from them?

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  And there is SpAmRaY with an answer.  Those pins look very much like Cherry PCB-mount pins rotated 90 degrees.  Are they?
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:42:09 »

Offline jameslr

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:42:44 »
News flash.. 

Do you have some examples of the "OTHER things they could be doing"? What provides a "higher potential payoff"? Even if you provide good examples which likely won't be universally applicable - you're still wrong.

Video games are only a waste of time if you give other activities higher value. Such relevant value is to be determined by the individual performing the activity. You're projecting your (or perhaps your parents') archaic values onto others, and I don't accept it. That is why you're wrong.

-----------------------------

Back on topic. I agree this keyboard looks very gamer. Not my style of course, but I've enjoyed many a logitech product. I would buy one for my kids, probably. I wouldn't use it myself though unless I thought it felt nice to type on.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:46:58 by SpAmRaY »

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:56:11 »
Sooo, no custom keycaps for this keyboard whatsoever eh?
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:00:56 »
Sooo, no custom keycaps for this keyboard whatsoever eh?

Definitely not the demographic they are reaching out to.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:09:06 »
I see a bit of TRON design influence.  It's an interesting switch.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:10:53 »
Anyone have any opinions on the ~$179.99 price tag?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:17:27 »

If Corsair can do it, why can't they? /s

It's a bit much IMO.  Even with R&D, they have to be making money hand over fist with that price tag.  It's cheap plastic caps, a plastic body, and, aside from the switches, doesn't look like anything too terribly crazy.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:31:46 »
To be fair, it's not that far off from the latest DAS either. It's certainly flashier/tackier, but it's got a lot of features that brings it to a similar level (except for quality).

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 09:49:56 »

sounds about right
remember how much they launched the G15 and G19 for.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 10:03:24 »
To be fair, it's not that far off from the latest DAS either. It's certainly flashier/tackier, but it's got a lot of features that brings it to a similar level (except for quality).

The latest DAS at least looks awesome though. This just looks idiotic.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 10:05:18 »

sounds about right
remember how much they launched the G15 and G19 for.

179 sounds bout right for something like this..

it's got all new gimmicks :D

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 10:41:55 »
I am unsure about the profile of the keytops. I don't think it will help with gaming.

On the other hand, this looks like it might respond well to off-axis hits.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 10:53:00 »

The latest DAS at least looks awesome though. This just looks idiotic.

Well yeah, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. DAS has always been sleek and pretty (ignoring the super glossy finish on some of their older ones), while Logitech's been closer to Razer.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 10:54:42 »
Well yeah, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. DAS has always been sleek and pretty (ignoring the super glossy finish on some of their older ones), while Logitech's been closer to Razer.
I really like the nice matte finish that DAS had on their older ones. I think they only switched to glossy for the gen 3/3.5 and gen 4 DAS KBs.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 10:57:19 »
Yup.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:13:17 »
I am unsure about the profile of the keytops. I don't think it will help with gaming.

On the other hand, this looks like it might respond well to off-axis hits.

Wings make you type faster, right?  :))

This looks hideous.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:26:36 »
Very interesting looking switch design, if it turns out to be good it could be an alternative choice for mech-kb's. And if its good wait to see what the Korean keyboard communities do with it. "Kgbmac's & LZrgb Nerd-rgbpcb" anyone? 

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 12:38:19 »
I might be interested if it was TKL.  These and the other new RGB keyboards like Corsair's are all competing for attention at a lan party.  I go though phases with my computer cases where I alternate between flashy and more plain.  The new switch seems interesting but one review I saw said it felt to rubber dome-ish for their tastes.  The best part of this news is the ARX control app for smartphones and pads.  I always liked the little screens for monitoring CPU and GPU temps as well as vent info or other game specific info.  Looks like you can now have that separate.   
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 12:55:40 »
Still-born w/ that cap mount IMO. Ugly, expensive, too much of a gimmick -- not my cup of tea.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline exit

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 16:59:34 »
The design does look like something you'll see in some sci-fi spaceship BUT it is not much worse than the G502 and G402 designs so I don't see why not.

Offline Parak

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 20:13:41 »
I'm a bit surprised by most people here focusing on the wrong things. I don't particularly care if a keyboard is the ugliest thing ever (omg it is), or what the target market is (eh, I sometimes fit), or whether 'cracks' fit on it (rofl), or even what the layout is (to a certain extent). What I primarily care about is the switch - and if you happen to recall which switches I prefer, you'd know this to be true.

What Omron and Logitech have done here is make a brand new keyswitch, which is a far cry from what Razer did for example, where they didn't even bother to clone a clone., but merely rebadge. Although while with all due credit Matias has made a superb switch offering improving upon the status quo, their switch is also a clone of the ALPS switches. So, once again, we have Omron which has a history of making quality switches (including keyswitches) create an entirely new keyswitch, with specific and rather different accommodation for backlighting at that. That's very exciting.

So, maybe they really did make some special and awesome switch, maybe not, but I feel that this should be the primary metric upon which the keyboard is judged by us. Even if Logitech doesn't particularly care about us as a marketing demographic, as otherwise pointed out earlier in the thread.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 20:29:43 »

this is so stupid.

hey lets put people we are paying to say how great our product is.

totally not bias, at all.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 20:43:22 »
insta buy from me xDDd
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 20:54:35 »
I should drop one of these on my desk in the office.   so meh.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 21:31:40 »
lol I made another post about this but I think it was under approval while this post was being made, I guess I'll just post it here:

This is what under the keycap look like:

https://www.facebook.com/logitechgaming/photos/a.196540319870.127238.96895859870/10152667296004871/?type=1&theater

Out of the 3 RGB keyboards I think this is the least good looking one.  It's like you guys said it looks like it's made for 12 year olds.

Just when I thought Logitech is stepping it up on mouse designs, I guess their keyboard design is still fail.

I am a bit curious about their new switch though, it is the first true "new" switch in a long while.  Hopefully it will turn out good.  :)

I think the design fits their target market of 10-25 year olds just fine.

I am curious about the switch. It is a new design and the soft-click tactile response seems interesting. I always prefer linear for gaming, but I would like to test them. I feel like I might have to make new caps for them, though.
c h e r

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 01:17:47 »
I'm curious about the switch type, too, but not enough to buy one of these. They're expensive, ugly and once again, they've let their marketing department have too much drugs free reign and they've gone nuts. "It's better because it's been tested for 70 million keypresses!"... whereas Cherry MX are rated for over 50 million. Which means there is no marked change in actuation point or operation for 50 million presses. No mention of how many presses these are actually rated for.

I don't really care about the LED thing since the best keycaps are not "backlit-compatible" anyway, not to mention they're only available with MX stems.

If the switch itself is good, we may start to see Omron selling them to other OEMs. If that happens, they may become popular enough for SP to invest in new cap stem molds. Then you could replace the caps, but until then you're stuck with those butt-ugly thin ABS things that Logitech made.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 02:49:50 »
What Omron and Logitech have done here is make a brand new keyswitch, which is a far cry from what Razer did for example, where they didn't even bother to clone a clone., but merely rebadge. Although while with all due credit Matias has made a superb switch offering improving upon the status quo, their switch is also a clone of the ALPS switches. So, once again, we have Omron which has a history of making quality switches (including keyswitches) create an entirely new keyswitch, with specific and rather different accommodation for backlighting at that. That's very exciting.
Maybe exciting. Depends on what the switch is actually like inside. We’ll have to see once these are actually in people’s hands. From the description I saw online it sounds like they were aiming for a Cherry MX brown feeling with a slightly shorter travel to actuation and a slightly shorter throw overall.

In the “gamer switch” market, I’m curious to see what Matias’s upcoming “linear” switch (same as their other switches but with a new spring and no click leaf?) is like.

"It's better because it's been tested for 70 million keypresses!"... whereas Cherry MX are rated for over 50 million. Which means there is no marked change in actuation point or operation for 50 million presses. No mention of how many presses these are actually rated for.
Who cares? Cherry switches’ feeling changes long before even getting to 10 million keypresses, but even the most dedicated full-time player is going to have a hell of a time getting millions of keystrokes in. Everything else on the board is going to break sooner.

Here’s another marketing case of “our completely meaningless big number is bigger than your completely meaningless big number.” This one happens to be even less meaningful than megapixels or gigahertz, but whatever.

I could definitely imagine the new switches feeling nicer than Cherry MX though: that’s a really low bar to clear. ;-)

If the switch itself is good, we may start to see Omron selling them to other OEMs. If that happens, they may become popular enough for SP to invest in new cap stem molds.
I’ll give you 10 to 1 odds if you want to bet that this will happen, for any size bet smaller than the cost of fully funding new keycap tooling. :-)

I think this is about as likely as Unicomp coming out with a buckling spring Ergodox.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 02:59:07 by jacobolus »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 02:56:34 »
Wow. What the hell. It seems like people think they can just highlight a WASD cluster and say anything is designed for "gamers". This is by far one of the ugliest boards I've ever seen, and that price tag is just ridiculous. Who is going to want to spend $180 on a keyboard for their 7 year old who plays LoL?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline exit

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:15:18 »
Wow. What the hell. It seems like people think they can just highlight a WASD cluster and say anything is designed for "gamers". This is by far one of the ugliest boards I've ever seen, and that price tag is just ridiculous. Who is going to want to spend $180 on a keyboard for their 7 year old who plays LoL?

Could say the same thing about the Corsair k70 or crappy razer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:21:05 by exit »

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:41:45 »
I'm curious about the switch type, too, but not enough to buy one of these. They're expensive, ugly and once again, they've let their marketing department have too much drugs free reign and they've gone nuts. "It's better because it's been tested for 70 million keypresses!"... whereas Cherry MX are rated for over 50 million. Which means there is no marked change in actuation point or operation for 50 million presses. No mention of how many presses these are actually rated for.

I don't really care about the LED thing since the best keycaps are not "backlit-compatible" anyway, not to mention they're only available with MX stems.

If the switch itself is good, we may start to see Omron selling them to other OEMs. If that happens, they may become popular enough for SP to invest in new cap stem molds. Then you could replace the caps, but until then you're stuck with those butt-ugly thin ABS things that Logitech made.

I could just make my own caps ;)

Also, I don't think the keycaps are entirely a gimmick. Anyone who has misfired after edging another key can attest to this. I think that this is severely overdone, but it's not a bad thought entirely.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:44:01 by cherpalla »
c h e r

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:04:56 »
Don't waste your time making caps for this... monstrosity.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:08:28 »
I'm going to agree with Parak. I'm stoked to try out a new keyswitch, especially if it's from Omron. The board may not be for me but who knows, maybe the switches are great and we can design a board around the switches.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:25:13 »
switches look cool, will see if I can try it out in a store at some point. the rest? well you all said it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:52:06 »
I'm going to agree with Parak. I'm stoked to try out a new keyswitch, especially if it's from Omron. The board may not be for me but who knows, maybe the switches are great and we can design a board around the switches.

I really hope this new switch will have something that ensures smooth operation at all angles with reduced friction points...

Both cherry and topre, I find are unsmooth near the bottom of the keystroke.

But... overall, i'm not hopeful seeing how large that slider is..

Offline tgujay

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:11:52 »

this is so stupid.

hey lets put people we are paying to say how great our product is.

totally not bias, at all.

Well otherwise they would have to pay people that they aren't already paying to say their keyboard is awesome.
Gotta collect them all