Author Topic: Please turn off nested comments. It is making forum unreadable.  (Read 6230 times)

Offline pbtforever

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
Re: Please turn off nested comments. It is making forum unreadable.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:25:17 »
nested quotes are ****ing hilarious
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:27:36 »
No really they're not
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:42:04 »
Don't turn them off, but enforce the fact the quotes need to be relevant. I'm certain that entire nest of quotes is not needed for context. Then people should report them.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:42:49 »
No really they're not

But also this. Y'all are so damn sensitive sometimes. Is it really killing you to see a signature and a couple extra quotes?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:46:58 »
But also this. Y'all are so damn sensitive sometimes. Is it really killing you to see a signature and a couple extra quotes?

I don't mind signatures and avatars, but nested quotes to where you can't even read them are just too much. Plus, you can block images etc. in sigs and avatars with AdBlock, but you can't get rid of quotes.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:51:43 »
I think it's more of the issue that people are too lazy to edit out the irrelevant parts of a nested quote and eventually enough people do it to make it a nuisance.

It's good practice to delete all but the most recent (or most relevant to your post) part of a nested quote, so as to not run into this problem.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:53:20 »
Coreda just posted this link earlier today and I'm using it now. It's quite nice.

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 12:43:27 »
No really they're not

It is wearing out my scroll wheel.

:))

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 12:49:29 »
Another forum I peruse turns nested quotes into spoilers. That could be a reasonable solution.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 03:40:26 »
They are kind of mandatory in a forum environment where you can't directly reply to one comment. Unless you mean just in signatures in which case you can turn them off.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:07:52 »
I already learned how to turn  signatures off thanks to Paicrai.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:40:08 »
See CPTBadAss's post above, or my sig, for a userstyle that hides nested quotes. I just got fed up with the forum defaults, nested quotes should be disabled.

They are kind of mandatory in a forum environment where you can't directly reply to one comment. Unless you mean just in signatures in which case you can turn them off.

Geekhack is possibly the only forum I'm a still a regular member of that enables nested quote replies. Have yet to see a need for them by default. Where a more uncommon post may need some additional context it doesn't take much to add the additional quote oneself.

Reasonable readability is almost arguably the most important basic feature of a discussion online, so +1 for disabling nested quotes by default.

Offline mikekey

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 20:51:21 »
Don't turn them off, but enforce the fact the quotes need to be relevant. I'm certain that entire nest of quotes is not needed for context. Then people should report them.

No really they're not

No really they're not

Like this thread:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62629.0

Thanks!

I think it's more of the issue that people are too lazy to edit out the irrelevant parts of a nested quote and eventually enough people do it to make it a nuisance.

It's good practice to delete all but the most recent (or most relevant to your post) part of a nested quote, so as to not run into this problem.

I don't mind signatures and avatars, but nested quotes to where you can't even read them are just too much. Plus, you can block images etc. in sigs and avatars with AdBlock, but you can't get rid of quotes.

No really they're not

It is wearing out my scroll wheel.

:))

Coreda just posted this link earlier today and I'm using it now. It's quite nice.

Another forum I peruse turns nested quotes into spoilers. That could be a reasonable solution.

I already learned how to turn  signatures off thanks to Paicrai.

See CPTBadAss's post above, or my sig, for a userstyle that hides nested quotes. I just got fed up with the forum defaults, nested quotes should be disabled.

Geekhack is possibly the only forum I'm a still a regular member of that enables nested quote replies. Have yet to see a need for them by default. Where a more uncommon post may need some additional context it doesn't take much to add the additional quote oneself.

Reasonable readability is almost arguably the most important basic feature of a discussion online, so +1 for disabling nested quotes by default.

"Reasonable readability is almost arguably the most important basic feature of a discussion online, so +1 for disabling nested quotes by default."

Agreed

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 21:35:11 »

so edgy

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 03:57:52 »
But in order to reply to someone directly, I think nested comments are a must. Otherwise you have to put things like "In response to Coreda's post" or "In reply to Coreda" sort of thing. And like you see very often you can break the quotes up to reply to specific parts of them.

All the forums I go on (about 3 or 4, but still) have nested quotes turned on. It's a lot easier for the flow of conversation, and kind of an integral and founding part of the forum structure.

You have nav keys (unless you are part of the 60% following) and scroll wheels for a reason if you really want to skip whole swathes of text. If it's hard to discern between quotes and normal text, then maybe change your forum theme.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 06:05:14 »
But in order to reply to someone directly, I think nested comments are a must.

I'm assuming you mean reply directly to someone else within a block of nested quotes, as the ideal way of replying to someone directly is to quote only them :p The problem/trend on Geekhack is when someone for example posts a photo, and the next poster quotes them, continuing for several posts until the nested quotes snowball into a page of visual noise, when only the poster's reply is important while scanning the page.

It's a bit like quoting a long wall of text only to say a single word or sentence, it gets tiring in some threads.

It's a lot easier for the flow of conversation.

I'll respectfully disagree :) And scrolling isn't the answer, but I'm at least content now with the userstyle though.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 16:14:34 »
the ideal way of replying to someone directly is to quote only them :p

It's easy!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 03:02:54 »
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

You mean quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes?

That I agree with. It seems stupid to not delete irrelevant parts of a quote/irrelevant quotes in quotes.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 03:07:27 »
I usually only leave them if on my phone, but still I try to edit them on my phone sometimes as well. It is just a bit tougher when multi quoting. I agree the instant more tag would be neat. If that's possible.