Author Topic: Ducky Shine 3 TKL Cherry MX Blue Impressions  (Read 4252 times)

Offline gooseta

Ducky Shine 3 TKL Cherry MX Blue Impressions
« on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:57:30 »
Two years ago I bought a WASD v1 with browns, and I enjoyed it, but the subtle tactile and noise was too muted for my liking. I then researched MX Blues and thought that they would better suit me due to their obvious sound feedback. After trying out an MX Blue Poker II, I decided to buy a Ducky Shine 3 TKL, as I appreciate having the arrow keys and Pgup, pgdown etc,anyway I bought an orange LED version from Overclockers UK, and here it is :
More

So, here are some quick notes on the Shine 3 TKL :
- Great build quality, no flex
- Some nice backlight modes (I use reactive)
- Feels nice to type on, I find the Blue switch nice and love the clickiness, just wish it was a bit heaver.
- Bottoming out sound isn't harsh. On my WASD when I bottom out it is quite loud and annoying, on the ducky it's a soft "thud"
- Nice feeling keycaps (I don't know whether PBT or ABS, but they feel nice and smooth without being slippy, nice font as well.)
- Looks clean and sophisticated
- Slightly textured case looks classy

Cons :
- Keyboard slides around on the desk a bit, a lot with the feet up as the front pads don't touch the desk.
- When capslock is enabled, the LED is very dim (same with Scrl lock)
- Backlight doesn't illuminate the entire key
- No plain black spacebar
- No RGB modifiers, although some would prefer not to have them on such a clean looking keyboard
- No option to keep the main spacebar LED illuminated. When using either spacebar, it looks bad when you use spacebar lighting, because the snake isn't illuminated in the middle (or the ducky logo on the second space bar) (this only applies to reactive mode)

Conclusion :

A good keyboard with nice switches (imo), but the price is a bit high for such an understated keyboard. However, the build quality is insane and you get those lighting modes.

8/10
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:59:55 by gooseta »
WASD v1 with browns
Ducky Shine 3 TKL with blues and orange backlight
KBT Pure with greens
Leopold FC660M with blues
Spirit 87% with clears

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
Re: Ducky Shine 3 TKL Cherry MX Blue Impressions
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 12:54:34 »
Nice review!
My caps and scrlk are as bright as the rest of the board.
The backlight not lighting up the whole key is due to the fact that the LED is on the top of the switch.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 04:48:42 »
Im a big fan of my Shine 3, looking to pick up a Filco TKL as well to compare it to but right now Im super happy. Big upgrade from K65

Nice review, the only thing I would put as a con would be that it seems impossible to get a light mode that covers all caps :/
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 04:19:59 »
Im a big fan of my Shine 3, looking to pick up a Filco TKL as well to compare it to but right now Im super happy. Big upgrade from K65

Nice review, the only thing I would put as a con would be that it seems impossible to get a light mode that covers all caps :/

Which keycaps are you finding not lit?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 09:09:11 »

Caps and Scroll lock, would love to have them be a part of the "light show"
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:46:53 »

Caps and Scroll lock, would love to have them be a part of the "light show"

Ah - they are indicator lights, and probably should not come on unless that feature (caps or scroll lock) is enabled.

OTOH if you just want to use the keyboard for demonstration purposes, it would be nice.

I am a long way away from my Ducky Shine 3 at the moment, so I can't double-check the lighting modes.  My Ducky Shine 1 with red LEDs actually has blue LEDs under caps, scroll and num lock, as well as under the 4 extra keys in the top right.  That would look odd if they lit up as part of the light show.

My Shine 3 has yellow LEDs across the board.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline j0hnny

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 13:12:06 »

we are picky, but for good reason. I like that this was one there.

Offline Blaklyte

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 12:30:56 »
Thanks for the review.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 23:43:58 »

we are picky, but for good reason. I like that this was one there.
Well, it comes with two of them.
One with the snake logo, and the other has the ducky logo and two lines on the front.

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 20:04:52 »
The keycaps are ABS and they do begin to feel a little slippy as you use them longer, but then I do have oily hands & fingers. You're also the second person I've read about whose padded feet do not touch the surface when the adjustable feet are down. My two pads in the back are still touching when the feet are angled down.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown