Author Topic: Rasperry Pi thread - Ideas and projects  (Read 5803 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Rasperry Pi thread - Ideas and projects
« on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:39:34 »
So, I bought a Pi from mkawa a while back, and I'm slowly going through the process of getting bits and pieces together so I can do some nice things with it. I bought This off massdrop (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/pitft-assembled-2-8-tft-touchscreen) to go with it, just because it was there, like I typically do, without any thought of how/if I would use it.

My initial idea was to use it as an always on torrenting machine, and turning on remote access so it could just sit somewhere in my house with a hard drive attached. But with this screen, I would like to maybe do something else with it.

I'm not looking for anything novel like a remote controlled car, or a mini arcade machine, but something useful that I might use every day/week. I have a little Unix experience but no Linux experience to speak of, however I do have a couple of Pi beginner's guides I can call on.

Also, if anyone else has a Pi already, what have you done with it? What are you planning? How easy do you find using it?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Rasperry Pi thread - Ideas and projects
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 08:03:10 »
My personal plans for a Pi is to get one to learn Linux. Jwaz had a VT220 monitor terminal hooked up to an RPi at Keycon West and I had a lot of fun playing text adventures on that. I'd like to do the same so I can enjoy some phosphor glow and learn some Linux.

Another plan I've heard is that the screen on the Logitech G13 keyboard is really popular and people miss that when they switch to a mechanical keyboard. I was walking around Microcenter and saw they had a lot of little addons to the Pi including this little LCD screen. People have asked if they could replicate that G13 screen and I think the Pi with that LCD screen would work great for this.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 08:04:45 by CPTBadAss »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:24:42 »
My personal plans for a Pi is to get one to learn Linux. Jwaz had a VT220 monitor terminal hooked up to an RPi at Keycon West and I had a lot of fun playing text adventures on that. I'd like to do the same so I can enjoy some phosphor glow and learn some Linux.

Another plan I've heard is that the screen on the Logitech G13 keyboard is really popular and people miss that when they switch to a mechanical keyboard. I was walking around Microcenter and saw they had a lot of little addons to the Pi including this little LCD screen. People have asked if they could replicate that G13 screen and I think the Pi with that LCD screen would work great for this.

Should look into getting a plasma terminal instead because that orange is hawt.

I was thinking of using a teensy to make a clock for my car, but I might opt for more powerful hardware and make it a full-on media player with a rpi or beaglebone.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:28:08 »
I'm looking at possibly turning the new model into an HTPC and running all media off my server.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:44:34 »
I'm looking at possibly turning the new model into an HTPC and running all media off my server.

I have a PI and that is what I did. It runs Raspbmc (which is awesome and so, so, so easy to use). I have a SiliconDust HD Homerun for a tuner (the older version with only 2 coax inputs). Then I took apart an old laptop and removed the screen, then I got a capacitive overlay to make it a touchscreen. I cut out a section of my backsplash in the kitchen to mount he screen in the wall (we are redoing the kitchen). The PI is will be mounted on the other side of the wall, which the stairwell to the basement. I could also mount it in the cabinet directly above the screen, but it is easier access in the stairwell.

It will also be configured to use my 1TB media PC which stores all the recorded content from the HD HomeRun, along with all the music and pictures I have.

To finish it off I plan to do some in-ceiling speakers so that I can stream music though the PI interface. We haven't gotten around to redoing the ceiling though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:57:45 by inanis »
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline mreverything

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:53:26 »
I've been using my Pi off and on to write my dissertation. I use vim from the command line without starting a window manager to avoid distractions.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:46:01 »

I have a PI and that is what I did. It runs Raspbmc (which is awesome and so, so, so easy to use). I have a SiliconDust HD Homerun for a tuner (the older version with only 2 coax inputs). Then I took apart an old laptop and removed the screen, then I got a capacitive overlay to make it a touchscreen. I cut out a section of my backsplash in the kitchen to mount he screen in the wall (we are redoing the kitchen). The PI is will be mounted on the other side of the wall, which the stairwell to the basement. I could also mount it in the cabinet directly above the screen, but it is easier access in the stairwell.

It will also be configured to use my 1TB media PC which stores all the recorded content from the HD HomeRun, along with all the music and pictures I have.

To finish it off I plan to do some in-ceiling speakers so that I can stream music though the PI interface. We haven't gotten around to redoing the ceiling though.

Other than Raspbmc, have you tried any other OS for it? I'm not sure about which one I want to use, but I was looking into Rasbian probably. No Idea what is going to work on the touch screen.

I've been using my Pi off and on to write my dissertation. I use vim from the command line without starting a window manager to avoid distractions.

Hah, that's pretty hardcore, vim is so good, and that's a good idea to keep you free from distractions.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:57:46 »
Also, if anyone else has a Pi already, what have you done with it? What are you planning? How easy do you find using it?

At my girlfriend's office I'm taking care of a Raspberry Pi with the RasPBX / FreePBX / Asterisk distro on it. It powers a few VoIP Cisco phones (it works perfectly fine as long as there aren't too many phones used at once). I also wrote a script so that in the middle of the night the Raspberry mounts a shared windows drive and backs up everything and then SCP the .tgz to a remote server (it's not particularly fast but it's doing its job fine). And since then every night it is gently doing its duty!

It is convenient for me because it's an office with only Windows desktops and with the Raspberry Pi, Linux is now in the place.

I was pleasantly surprised by how powerful that little device is. As a long time Linux user I didn't find it hard to use  :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:23:00 »

At my girlfriend's office I'm taking care of a Raspberry Pi with the RasPBX / FreePBX / Asterisk distro on it. It powers a few VoIP Cisco phones (it works perfectly fine as long as there aren't too many phones used at once). I also wrote a script so that in the middle of the night the Raspberry mounts a shared windows drive and backs up everything and then SCP the .tgz to a remote server (it's not particularly fast but it's doing its job fine). And since then every night it is gently doing its duty!

It is convenient for me because it's an office with only Windows desktops and with the Raspberry Pi, Linux is now in the place.

I was pleasantly surprised by how powerful that little device is. As a long time Linux user I didn't find it hard to use  :)

Nice! I guess if your GF's office expands any more you could always just add Pis instead of getting a server for your VoIP stuff.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:37:56 »
Other than Raspbmc, have you tried any other OS for it? I'm not sure about which one I want to use, but I was looking into Rasbian probably. No Idea what is going to work on the touch screen.

I recall looking into a few OS options - but I only ever installed Raspbmc. It was the OS that was specifically geared to what I want to accomplish. I wanted to limit the use specifically to the media options. One of the requirements I had was that it would boot right into the UI without any need for user intervention. Otherwise it would not be accepted as "usable" by the other members of the household.

I saw that deal on MD with the screen, and I almost picked it up myself. I'm interested in how it works out for you. Maybe I should pick one of those up too just to see what I can do. I love to work with this stuff.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:13:56 »

I was thinking about starting with an HTPC in the living room that can not only access the media on the server, but online media services like Netflix and Youtube. Eventually I want t expand outwards to where I have a smart house.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 15:14:06 »
How good of a thin client does an rpi make? I was thinking of getting one of those or maybe a used wyse. The idea would be to use it to access my server(s) and/or computer remotely from around the house, etc. I would use an old PC or laptop but I'm ever-worried about power consumption.

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 15:54:05 »
RPi's are small and light enough that you could velcro it to the back of a TV and never see it or have to worry about it.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 02:31:23 »
I saw that deal on MD with the screen, and I almost picked it up myself. I'm interested in how it works out for you. Maybe I should pick one of those up too just to see what I can do. I love to work with this stuff.

Thanks, me too. I will probably send it off to Margo at some point so he can solder it together for me, be a lot cheaper than buying all the equipment just for one project :)

I was thinking about starting with an HTPC in the living room that can not only access the media on the server, but online media services like Netflix and Youtube. Eventually I want t expand outwards to where I have a smart house.

Yeah, that's a really good idea. I'm thinking now if I could have two accessing the same external hard drive... Or even one torrent box with the hard drive, then another on a TV that remotes into the torrent box to then stream the media across O.O

RPi's are small and light enough that you could velcro it to the back of a TV and never see it or have to worry about it.

And they don't require any cooling. You can bu tiny little heat sinks for the CPUs online that are like 12mmx12mm, but I don't really see the point. People put them in really extravagant cases that are completely sealed off from the outside world in terms of ventilation, so you don't need to worry about it at all.

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 06:27:28 »
And they don't require any cooling. You can bu tiny little heat sinks for the CPUs online that are like 12mmx12mm, but I don't really see the point. People put them in really extravagant cases that are completely sealed off from the outside world in terms of ventilation, so you don't need to worry about it at all.

That didn't stop some people...

Yes, those are liquid-cooled Raspberry Pi builds.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 September 2014, 06:29:34 by The Mad Professor »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 07:03:17 »
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat the ****. Those are the smallest cooling blocks I've ever seen. I bet the temperature difference is negligible as well.

Where else has that first one got the block over? Other than the CPU right in the middle?

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 07:10:13 »
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat the ****. Those are the smallest cooling blocks I've ever seen. I bet the temperature difference is negligible as well.

Where else has that first one got the block over? Other than the CPU right in the middle?

Build log for the first:
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=256779

Build log for the second:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1410604/build-log-water-cooled-raspberry-pi-mod-build/0_50

Pretty much the entire point of doing it is not for heat management, but because they wanted to see if it could be done.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 08:28:34 »
you can overclock and overvolt the CPU on the pi. I am sure those water cooling setups are for that.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 08:30:52 »
I think I'm gonna set mine up as an FTP server for me and a few buddies to share music, anime and other stuff.

Offline divito

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 10:26:44 »
Initially, I played around with Raspbmc, and XBMC builds on it. Then, after switching my setup around and moving my TV to my computer, I have RetroPi on it now for my old school gaming needs.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline JackMills

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 17:03:05 »
I have raspbmc on it, but thinking about doing something else with it. Building a nas with a sata controller seems interesting, using mdadm and samba. No idea how feasible it is or realistic, but it seems fun.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 11:56:29 »
I think I'm gonna set mine up as an FTP server for me and a few buddies to share music, anime and other stuff.

was thinking about that but with a beaglebone or something that has a sata onboard. Then just making a proper NAS / SAN with it.

I used to have an apple xserve RAID that I tossed all my pata drives in, but I got tired of epic level power bill and threw it away.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 12:23:02 »

That didn't stop some people...

Show Image

Show Image

Yes, those are liquid-cooled Raspberry Pi builds.

:eek:

Beautiful builds... Wow! Thanks for sharing those pics. I've always wanted to build a pi..

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 13:11:33 »
One idea I was toying around with for a Pi was to build it into a keyboard. I basically always boot my pi to command line, so building one into a keyboard would give me everything I needed to use the PC, just add a HDMI monitor or TV. Basically, a modern C64.

I would probably also throw in some sort of switch which would allow me to switch the keyboard away from the pi, and allow it to be used as a separate keyboard on a more powerful machine. When I finish my 60% build, this will probably be my next project.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 13:46:23 »
One idea I was toying around with for a Pi was to build it into a keyboard. I basically always boot my pi to command line, so building one into a keyboard would give me everything I needed to use the PC, just add a HDMI monitor or TV. Basically, a modern C64.

I would probably also throw in some sort of switch which would allow me to switch the keyboard away from the pi, and allow it to be used as a separate keyboard on a more powerful machine. When I finish my 60% build, this will probably be my next project.

Sounds like this.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 13:58:38 »

That's what I was doing with this.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 16:33:30 »

I love your banner man. Cute artwork!

Lego Pi case and keyboard case. Very interesting. Must've been fun to build!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 16:48:58 »
Sounds like this.

But that's not mechanical :P
I was thinking of making a 60% or TKL, depending on how much I like my 60% after I build it.

That looks really cool! Is there some connection that runs between the two cases, or are they just sitting next to each other in the last picture?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline jameslr

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 20:04:49 »

I strongly recommend against managing an FTP server unless you really know what you're doing. FTP is hard to secure properly (if not impossible). If you don't keep an eye on it you can end up serving some really nasty stuff (I see this all the time in IT). Sounds great and everything, but you should use something a little more decentralized or secure. At the very least use SFTP (or FTP over SSH). I would recommend going the torrent route though. You can setup a private tracker (fairly easy these days) and your friends can use any torrent software they want.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:03:27 »
I've been desperately trying to justify the purchase of a Pi almost since they came out.

I downsized my IT infrastructure a while back, and saved a huge amount on electricity costs.

A Pi would not use much, but what would I use it for?

One thought was a terminal project I've had for a while, particularly after seeing the Nuclear Data Green set.  Maybe ... although it seems a waste just to use Pi as a terminal.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 22:10:55 »
I love your banner man. Cute artwork!

Lego Pi case and keyboard case. Very interesting. Must've been fun to build!
It was a ton of fun. :p

That looks really cool! Is there some connection that runs between the two cases, or are they just sitting next to each other in the last picture?
They are not connected yet. I have routing in the cases to run cables between the two, but I never got around to finishing it up. WHen I head back home in November I will probably try and finish it up.

I strongly recommend against managing an FTP server unless you really know what you're doing. FTP is hard to secure properly (if not impossible). If you don't keep an eye on it you can end up serving some really nasty stuff (I see this all the time in IT). Sounds great and everything, but you should use something a little more decentralized or secure. At the very least use SFTP (or FTP over SSH). I would recommend going the torrent route though. You can setup a private tracker (fairly easy these days) and your friends can use any torrent software they want.
Thank you for the advice. I'll look into SFTP and/or setting up my own tracker.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 22:47:08 »

I sort of assumed he meant SFTP.

Private torrents are a great way to transfer large files to people far away. I set one up once as a one-off with utorrent and it was easy and quick. You have to throttle their bandwidth a little though or you can't get anything done.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 03:38:36 »

That's really cool man.  I love the Poker case too.

One thing I'm concerned with is the power supply. Lots of people are talking about verious RPi recommended power supplies don't provide enough power to run peripherals as well. What voltage/ampage are you guys using?

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 03:47:11 »

One thing I'm concerned with is the power supply. Lots of people are talking about verious RPi recommended power supplies don't provide enough power to run peripherals as well. What voltage/ampage are you guys using?

Well, a standard MicroUSB charger will work, so long as it's rated for at least 700mA, with 1 amp being preferable. The 1 amp ones are the ones that are meant to charge tablets.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 03:49:08 »

Well, a standard MicroUSB charger will work, so long as it's rated for at least 700mA, with 1 amp being preferable. The 1 amp ones are the ones that are meant to charge tablets.

Ahhhh gotcha

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:27:51 »
After a quick look, my touch screen is actually assembled... So while it does have a connector free, it plugs straight into the Pi :D

I shall have to take a picture to explain it better, but I'm so glad I don't have to do any soldering hah.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 13:39:28 »
[...] I have RetroPi on it now for my old school gaming needs.

Just picked up a B+ and case from MicroCenter on a whim. Never thought about it, but holy **** this is what it is meant for.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 15:15:10 »
I've got a lot of RPi stuff on my Amazon wish list, so hopefully my Secret Santa buys me some stuff to finish my project :)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 12:15:47 »
One thought was a terminal project I've had for a while, particularly after seeing the Nuclear Data Green set.  Maybe ... although it seems a waste just to use Pi as a terminal.

I mean, it works so great for that though and you can, of course, use the Pi for other things just interact with it over your terminal. You can use screen if you don't want to use the stock keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 17:39:05 »

I mean, it works so great for that though and you can, of course, use the Pi for other things just interact with it over your terminal. You can use screen if you don't want to use the stock keyboard.

I was inspired by the photo at the start of the Nuclear Data Green IC thread http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55640

I was thinking of getting hold of an old terminal like that, install a modern TKL keyboard with Nuclear Green set on it, replace the screen with a small LCD, and probably install a Pi to connect everything together.

Then to complete the illusion, install an olden terminal application on the Pi and use it to remote control other boxes.

Something like cool-retro-term https://github.com/Swordfish90/cool-retro-term
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ